Accountant Forums


Reply
Thread Tools

25K to invest

 
 
Jach
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      10-02-2006, 10:39 PM
Hi,

What is the best way to invest 25k?

Had it in a savings account from 02/08/06 to date.

Rate: 4.65%.

Just received (01/10/06):

Gross Interest of 235.66
Less tax deducted 47.13.
Net interest received 188.53

Surely I can do better than this and keep the tax to a minimum?

Best regards,

Jach


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tumbleweed
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      10-03-2006, 07:33 AM

"Jach" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4521950b$0$24466$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> What is the best way to invest 25k?
>
> Had it in a savings account from 02/08/06 to date.
>
> Rate: 4.65%.
>
> Just received (01/10/06):
>
> Gross Interest of 235.66
> Less tax deducted 47.13.
> Net interest received 188.53
>
> Surely I can do better than this and keep the tax to a minimum?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jach


have you got a mortgage?

--
Tumbleweed

email replies not necessary but to contact use;
tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Miss L. Toe
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      10-03-2006, 08:43 AM

"Tumbleweed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Jach" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4521950b$0$24466$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > What is the best way to invest 25k?
> >
> > Had it in a savings account from 02/08/06 to date.
> >
> > Rate: 4.65%.
> >
> > Just received (01/10/06):
> >
> > Gross Interest of 235.66
> > Less tax deducted 47.13.
> > Net interest received 188.53
> >
> > Surely I can do better than this and keep the tax to a minimum?
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Jach

>
> have you got a mortgage?


NS&I http://www.nsandi.co.uk/ direct ISA will give you tax free 5.3% on 3k.
(and another 3k on April6th. - total 12k if there is a mrs Jach).

How long can you tie it up for.
How often will you need access.
How much risk/fun (if any) do you want to take (some/all) with it.
Do you or Mrs Jach pay no tax.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Jach
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      10-03-2006, 09:30 AM
Looking for short term really, max 12 months
Would need some access
Willing to take risks
Willing to tie up some of the 25k for a longer period without access to it.
We pay tax, however the 25k is mine and nothing to do with my partner (not
married) :-)
We don't have a mortgage (yet, currently looking for our 1st home which will
be mortgaged, 25k does not come into this equation).

I have dabled in shares, good return on some during last 12 months, no so
good on others.

Advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.
"Miss L. Toe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:452222e1$0$97236$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
>
> "Tumbleweed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Jach" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4521950b$0$24466$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > What is the best way to invest 25k?
>> >
>> > Had it in a savings account from 02/08/06 to date.
>> >
>> > Rate: 4.65%.
>> >
>> > Just received (01/10/06):
>> >
>> > Gross Interest of 235.66
>> > Less tax deducted 47.13.
>> > Net interest received 188.53
>> >
>> > Surely I can do better than this and keep the tax to a minimum?
>> >
>> > Best regards,
>> >
>> > Jach

>>
>> have you got a mortgage?

>
> NS&I http://www.nsandi.co.uk/ direct ISA will give you tax free 5.3% on
> 3k.
> (and another 3k on April6th. - total 12k if there is a mrs Jach).
>
> How long can you tie it up for.
> How often will you need access.
> How much risk/fun (if any) do you want to take (some/all) with it.
> Do you or Mrs Jach pay no tax.
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Miss L. Toe
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      10-03-2006, 10:18 AM

"Jach" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45222da0$0$16532$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Looking for short term really, max 12 months
> Would need some access
> Willing to take risks
> Willing to tie up some of the 25k for a longer period without access to

it.
> We pay tax, however the 25k is mine and nothing to do with my partner (not
> married) :-)
> We don't have a mortgage (yet, currently looking for our 1st home which

will
> be mortgaged, 25k does not come into this equation).
>
> I have dabled in shares, good return on some during last 12 months, no so
> good on others.
>
> Advice is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks.


http://www.fsa.gov.uk/consumer/compare/index.html

has a table of current savings rate options.
I guess you know the risk/fun of putting some in shares .

Using the 25k as a deposit on the home purchase sounds like a sensible
option.


> "Miss L. Toe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:452222e1$0$97236$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
> >
> > "Tumbleweed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> "Jach" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:4521950b$0$24466$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> > Hi,
> >> >
> >> > What is the best way to invest 25k?
> >> >
> >> > Had it in a savings account from 02/08/06 to date.
> >> >
> >> > Rate: 4.65%.
> >> >
> >> > Just received (01/10/06):
> >> >
> >> > Gross Interest of 235.66
> >> > Less tax deducted 47.13.
> >> > Net interest received 188.53
> >> >
> >> > Surely I can do better than this and keep the tax to a minimum?
> >> >
> >> > Best regards,
> >> >
> >> > Jach
> >>
> >> have you got a mortgage?

> >
> > NS&I http://www.nsandi.co.uk/ direct ISA will give you tax free 5.3% on
> > 3k.
> > (and another 3k on April6th. - total 12k if there is a mrs Jach).
> >
> > How long can you tie it up for.
> > How often will you need access.
> > How much risk/fun (if any) do you want to take (some/all) with it.
> > Do you or Mrs Jach pay no tax.
> >
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Adam
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      10-03-2006, 06:06 PM

"Jach" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4521950b$0$24466$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> What is the best way to invest 25k?
>


Try premium bonds. With that amount, you should win something every month.
If you're lucky, you could get a fantastic return on your investment, and
even if you don't, you'll have the fun of waiting to see what happens each
month.

Adam


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jach
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      10-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Thanks all.

I think I'm going to max the ISA and put the rest in premium bonds at the
end of October ready for the Xmas draw.

Wish me luck :-)

Jach
"Adam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4522a6af$0$11073$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Jach" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4521950b$0$24466$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> What is the best way to invest 25k?
>>

>
> Try premium bonds. With that amount, you should win something every month.
> If you're lucky, you could get a fantastic return on your investment, and
> even if you don't, you'll have the fun of waiting to see what happens each
> month.
>
> Adam
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tax Tip: Use $25K Rental Loss to decrease your taxes Tax Tip Accounting 0 06-11-2008 10:55 AM
Tax Tip: Use $25K Rental Loss to decrease your taxes Tax Tip Accounting 0 04-30-2008 06:45 AM
possible to invest in an energy mutual fund with less than 25k Jouup Financial Planning 5 07-10-2007 07:54 PM
Safest way to invest 25k? Josh B. Financial Planning 14 10-07-2006 05:12 PM
Passive loss: $25K limit and $100K - $150K phaseout. John Gulbrandsen Tax 3 05-25-2006 12:53 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:46 AM.
Posts in this forum do not constitute the advice of AccountantForums.com or its members. Financial advice should always be taken from qualified advisors before committing to a financial decision.