Accountant Forums

Accounting Career Questions

11-11-2011, 05:47 PM
Hi there. If someone has a Master's degree in accounting with an extremely high GPA, but no formal experience working in accounting other than some volunteer work, what are their chances of being able to find a job in accounting?

How does this change if they have taken the CPA exam and passed one of it's sections?

11-15-2011, 12:46 AM
I would say relatively good to good. Accountants are always going to be in demand. Accounting jobs are expected to grow by 22% over the next decade. That is over a quarter of a million jobs. Every single business needs some form of accounting work done. Every business does not need some form of financial analysis or medical work done. It is a good field to be in if you are worried about finding employment. I will warn you, it is extremely boring. By 6:00 pm every day. you will be ready to pluck your eyes out. I am a staff accountant and I don't even have an accounting degree. I have a finance degree. The two are similar, but imo, very very different. I feel amateur and out of place. You on the other hand will have a masters. You should be able to get an entry level job with a little work. I suggest taking a job at a good firm below your skill level, making connections with accountants in the firm, and the rest should take care of itself.