Accountant Forums


Reply
Thread Tools

Australian CPA vs CA exams

 
 
dijabringabeeralong@lycos.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      11-02-2005, 11:18 AM
How do Australian CA exams and course compare to CPA exams in terms of
difficulty.

I will be pursuing a CA or CPA designation, preferably CA, but I am
concerned about the difficulty of the courses. Especially when I see
first write pass rates in recent CA exams of just over 60%.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Joker
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      11-02-2005, 02:21 PM
d> How do Australian CA exams and course compare to CPA exams in terms
d> of
d> difficulty.

d> I will be pursuing a CA or CPA designation, preferably CA, but I am
d> concerned about the difficulty of the courses. Especially when I see
d> first write pass rates in recent CA exams of just over 60%.

I think the last statistic I read was the first time pass rate fo the CPA
was around 45% which seems to suggest it is harder. If you will be working
in Australia, would the CPA even transfer?
--
Joker
"...God hath made me to laugh, so that all that hear will laugh with me."
Gen. 21:6


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
J
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      11-03-2005, 07:23 AM

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> How do Australian CA exams and course compare to CPA exams in terms of
> difficulty.
>
> I will be pursuing a CA or CPA designation, preferably CA, but I am
> concerned about the difficulty of the courses. Especially when I see
> first write pass rates in recent CA exams of just over 60%.
>

Never mind the exams..Would you rather be called a CHARTERED ACCOUNTANT
or a Certified Practising Accountant - seems this latter group is quite
embarrassed that they don't even call themselves that anymore : )

Note: the US CPA is quite different from the Aus CPA. The US CPA is
probably equivalent to the Aus CA (I sure someone will correct me).


 
Reply With Quote
 
S.M.Serba
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      11-03-2005, 05:40 PM
In the US a CPA is a Certified *Public* Accountant.

"J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4369ba4b$0$44192$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> How do Australian CA exams and course compare to CPA exams in terms of
>> difficulty.
>>
>> I will be pursuing a CA or CPA designation, preferably CA, but I am
>> concerned about the difficulty of the courses. Especially when I see
>> first write pass rates in recent CA exams of just over 60%.
>>

> Never mind the exams..Would you rather be called a CHARTERED ACCOUNTANT
> or a Certified Practising Accountant - seems this latter group is quite
> embarrassed that they don't even call themselves that anymore : )
>
> Note: the US CPA is quite different from the Aus CPA. The US CPA is
> probably equivalent to the Aus CA (I sure someone will correct me).
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
David Jensen
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      11-03-2005, 06:22 PM
On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 12:40:23 -0500, in alt.accounting
"S.M.Serba" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<(E-Mail Removed)>:
>In the US a CPA is a Certified *Public* Accountant.


And is the equivalent to a Chartered Accountant.

>"J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:4369ba4b$0$44192$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>>> How do Australian CA exams and course compare to CPA exams in terms of
>>> difficulty.
>>>
>>> I will be pursuing a CA or CPA designation, preferably CA, but I am
>>> concerned about the difficulty of the courses. Especially when I see
>>> first write pass rates in recent CA exams of just over 60%.
>>>

>> Never mind the exams..Would you rather be called a CHARTERED ACCOUNTANT
>> or a Certified Practising Accountant - seems this latter group is quite
>> embarrassed that they don't even call themselves that anymore : )
>>
>> Note: the US CPA is quite different from the Aus CPA. The US CPA is
>> probably equivalent to the Aus CA (I sure someone will correct me).
>>
>>

>

 
Reply With Quote
 
dijabringabeeralong@lycos.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      11-04-2005, 01:06 PM
I would absolutely rather be a Chartered Accountant than a CPA. I
started out in the CA program in Canada, but there was 7 courses, which
almost no one got on first write, and then the horrific Uniform Final.
The exams had about a 50% pass rate, and I just couldnt see writing 14
exams and then a UFE, which most people I knew did. Less than 50% ever
made it to the UFE. So, I chose to go the CMA route, which was hard
work, but do-able. However, it didn't do me much good. I was offered a
partnership if I got a CA, but the CMA was useless. Then, when I moved
to Australia, it was completely useless. I didn't get a single credit,
and had to do 3 university level courses before even starting the CA or
CPA. SO, I said "stuff it" and stayed in technical writing.

So, now I'm 47 and have a driving need to return to accounting and get
a CA or CPA. CA is definately first, as the CPA being non-transferable
and second rate (in public accounting) doesnt thrill me. HOWEVER, at
47, I am worried about my ability to compete with young hotshots just
out of uni, if there is a low pass rate in the CA program. I've seen
their stats, and they are a little bit misleading.

So, basically, that's the long story about why I would prefer a CA, but
need to know how the exams compare.

And, yes, the US CPA is the equivalent to the CDN, UK and Aus CA.

 
Reply With Quote
 
dijabringabeeralong@lycos.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      11-04-2005, 01:07 PM
G'day from another Jensen!

Brett Jensen

 
Reply With Quote
 
S.M.Serba
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      11-04-2005, 01:39 PM
Does Australia not have a CGA programme? Could you not look into that?


--
Stephanie Wells, AICIA
Partner, Durham Business Outsource
Accounting & Technology
www.dbo.ca
smwells <at> dbo <dot> ca


<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I would absolutely rather be a Chartered Accountant than a CPA. I
> started out in the CA program in Canada, but there was 7 courses, which
> almost no one got on first write, and then the horrific Uniform Final.
> The exams had about a 50% pass rate, and I just couldnt see writing 14
> exams and then a UFE, which most people I knew did. Less than 50% ever
> made it to the UFE. So, I chose to go the CMA route, which was hard
> work, but do-able. However, it didn't do me much good. I was offered a
> partnership if I got a CA, but the CMA was useless. Then, when I moved
> to Australia, it was completely useless. I didn't get a single credit,
> and had to do 3 university level courses before even starting the CA or
> CPA. SO, I said "stuff it" and stayed in technical writing.
>
> So, now I'm 47 and have a driving need to return to accounting and get
> a CA or CPA. CA is definately first, as the CPA being non-transferable
> and second rate (in public accounting) doesnt thrill me. HOWEVER, at
> 47, I am worried about my ability to compete with young hotshots just
> out of uni, if there is a low pass rate in the CA program. I've seen
> their stats, and they are a little bit misleading.
>
> So, basically, that's the long story about why I would prefer a CA, but
> need to know how the exams compare.
>
> And, yes, the US CPA is the equivalent to the CDN, UK and Aus CA.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
David Jensen
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      11-04-2005, 07:10 PM
On 4 Nov 2005 05:07:28 -0800, in alt.accounting
(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
<(E-Mail Removed) .com>:
>G'day from another Jensen!
>
>Brett Jensen


Nice nick.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob Williams
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      11-06-2005, 12:10 AM
On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 12:22:13 -0600, David Jensen
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 12:40:23 -0500, in alt.accounting
>"S.M.Serba" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
><(E-Mail Removed)>:
>>In the US a CPA is a Certified *Public* Accountant.

>
>And is the equivalent to a Chartered Accountant.


Absolute rubbish. Public accountants in Australia can be CPA, CA or
members of another organisation called the National Institute of
Accountants. Each body is precious about its standing, with the CPAs
and CAs requiring a university degree as a prerequisite.

In each case, a public practice certificate is required for public
practice. CAs, CPAs and NIA members also work in corporations. There
are over 100,000 CPAs, of whom more than 10,000 are in public
practice. There are fewer CAs in both categories, and probably have a
higher proportion in public practice. CPAs and CAs work for the same
firms and when in partnership together, one can bring either
designation to the firm.

There may be a perception that being chartered is better (and the CAs
are trying to promote this with advertising), but as in any field
there are good and bad. There have been a few CAs recently involved in
some rather shady dealings (re:Vizard and ACCC for example, and I
believe Arthur Andersen were CAs - they have gone now due to some poor
practices in the US. Likewise, the CPAs have some of these characters
two. From what I can see from four decades of watching from the
sidelines (as a teacher) and now for a few years as a CPA, there is
precious little other than prejudice that separates the two
organisations. They have similar entrance standards and professional
training, and they adopt the same accounting standards and similar
codes of ethics.

If you want to be a CA - go for it. Or a CPA. Or join the NIA.
Whatever you do, don't make your decision on the so-called ease of
examinations or on some specious comparison with the same post-nominal
as used in another country. Do a bit of research as to what you want
to do in Australia, and select the organisation that will best help
you achieve your goals.

Bob Williams CPA

>
>>"J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:4369ba4b$0$44192$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>>>> How do Australian CA exams and course compare to CPA exams in terms of
>>>> difficulty.
>>>>
>>>> I will be pursuing a CA or CPA designation, preferably CA, but I am
>>>> concerned about the difficulty of the courses. Especially when I see
>>>> first write pass rates in recent CA exams of just over 60%.
>>>>
>>> Never mind the exams..Would you rather be called a CHARTERED ACCOUNTANT
>>> or a Certified Practising Accountant - seems this latter group is quite
>>> embarrassed that they don't even call themselves that anymore : )
>>>
>>> Note: the US CPA is quite different from the Aus CPA. The US CPA is
>>> probably equivalent to the Aus CA (I sure someone will correct me).
>>>
>>>

>>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CIMA accountancy exams - time bar Dave Parker UK Accountancy 3 02-29-2004 11:24 PM
Re: Good site for management accouting practice problems and exams Sally Choise Accounting 0 12-19-2003 11:30 PM
Re: Pattern of Exams (audits) Helen P. OPlanick EA Tax 11 09-09-2003 04:56 AM
Pattern of Exams (audits) Timothy E. Kelly, Esq. Tax 0 08-25-2003 11:50 AM
Wtd: Wiley CPA exams reviews Focus Notes or Homemade Focus Notes. Tim Koo Accounting 0 08-12-2003 03:40 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:41 PM.
Posts in this forum do not constitute the advice of AccountantForums.com or its members. Financial advice should always be taken from qualified advisors before committing to a financial decision.