Accountant Forums

Can't open file - MS Office Accounting 2008

08-25-2011, 02:45 PM
We spent a few full days inputting data into Microsoft Office Accounting 2008. My husband clicked the "upgrade" button to see about upgrading (not realizing at the time that the product has been discontinued). After that, he wasn't able to open the file anymore. I have read that once you upgrade, you can no longer open the file in the previous version. However, he didn't actually upgrade, so I don't understand why it won't open. Here is the error message he gets:

Microsoft Office Accounting 2008
Couldn't read database name or server name from the company file. Please make sure it is a valid company file.

Any insight or hope of retrieving our data?

Thanks.

09-19-2011, 01:17 PM
Have you tried purchasing the program?

01-31-2012, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjohnson View Post
We spent a few full days inputting data into Microsoft Office Accounting 2008. My husband clicked the "upgrade" button to see about upgrading (not realizing at the time that the product has been discontinued). After that, he wasn't able to open the file anymore. I have read that once you upgrade, you can no longer open the file in the previous version. However, he didn't actually upgrade, so I don't understand why it won't open. Here is the error message he gets:

Microsoft Office Accounting 2008
Couldn't read database name or server name from the company file. Please make sure it is a valid company file.

Any insight or hope of retrieving our data?

Thanks.
right click your SBC file, open with notepad
make sure it has the correct server name and sql instance.