Accountant Forums


Reply
Thread Tools

Company formation as an expense

 
 
Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      03-05-2004, 12:32 PM
When a company is initially incorporated at companies house through a
formation agent, can the cost be offset against tax? If so, what tax?

Eg:-

(1) Is the cost of formation an "expense of the company" (which is paid by
the Ltd Co and) which can be offset against corporation tax?

(2) Is the cost of formation an "acquisition cost of the shareholders"
(paid by the shareholders) which can be offset against CGT when the
shareholder(s) later sell their shares?

(3) Can it not be offset against tax?

Many thanks for your thoughts!



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Troy Steadman
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      03-05-2004, 03:06 PM
"Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c29s15$42c$(E-Mail Removed)
>
> (1) Is the cost of formation an "expense of the company" (which is paid by
> the Ltd Co and) which can be offset against corporation tax?
>
> (2) Is the cost of formation an "acquisition cost of the shareholders"
> (paid by the shareholders) which can be offset against CGT when the
> shareholder(s) later sell their shares?
>
> (3) Can it not be offset against tax?


(1) Yes and No.
(2) No.
(3) Yes.




--
Posted via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Stephen
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      03-07-2004, 01:18 AM
Tim

The cost of formation is a "not allowable" as it is not a trading expense.
It is usually shown in the p&l account but added back in the tax
computation.

I have never seen the cost of formation being offset against CGT. Usually
the formation cost is shown in the accounts as a non allowable expense
(which is a debit) the credit is posted to the directors current account,
they can subsequently take this money back out of the company again.




"Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c29s15$42c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> When a company is initially incorporated at companies house through a
> formation agent, can the cost be offset against tax? If so, what tax?
>
> Eg:-
>
> (1) Is the cost of formation an "expense of the company" (which is paid

by
> the Ltd Co and) which can be offset against corporation tax?
>
> (2) Is the cost of formation an "acquisition cost of the shareholders"
> (paid by the shareholders) which can be offset against CGT when the
> shareholder(s) later sell their shares?
>
> (3) Can it not be offset against tax?
>
> Many thanks for your thoughts!
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      03-07-2004, 09:06 AM
> "Tim" wrote
> > When a company is initially incorporated at
> > companies house through a formation agent, can
> > the cost be offset against tax? If so, what tax?
> >
> > Eg:-
> >
> > (1) Is the cost of formation an "expense of the company"
> > (which is paid by the Ltd Co and) which can be
> > offset against corporation tax?
> >
> > (2) Is the cost of formation an "acquisition cost
> > of the shareholders" (paid by the shareholders)
> > which can be offset against CGT when the
> > shareholder(s) later sell their shares?
> >
> > (3) Can it not be offset against tax?
> >
> > Many thanks for your thoughts!

>
>

"Stephen" wrote
> Tim
>
> The cost of formation is a "not allowable" as it is not a
> trading expense. It is usually shown in the p&l account
> but added back in the tax computation.
>
> I have never seen the cost of formation being offset
> against CGT. Usually the formation cost is shown in the
> accounts as a non allowable expense (which is a debit) the
> credit is posted to the directors current account, they can
> subsequently take this money back out of the company again.


Thanks for the reply.

Just as a matter of interest, what would happen if the formation cost had
been paid by a *shareholder* who *isn't* also a director? Where would the
"credit" be posted to offset the "debit"?



 
Reply With Quote
 
Stephen
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      03-07-2004, 05:00 PM

"Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c2eolq$acl$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Tim" wrote
> > > When a company is initially incorporated at
> > > companies house through a formation agent, can
> > > the cost be offset against tax? If so, what tax?
> > >
> > > Eg:-
> > >
> > > (1) Is the cost of formation an "expense of the company"
> > > (which is paid by the Ltd Co and) which can be
> > > offset against corporation tax?
> > >
> > > (2) Is the cost of formation an "acquisition cost
> > > of the shareholders" (paid by the shareholders)
> > > which can be offset against CGT when the
> > > shareholder(s) later sell their shares?
> > >
> > > (3) Can it not be offset against tax?
> > >
> > > Many thanks for your thoughts!

> >
> >

> "Stephen" wrote
> > Tim
> >
> > The cost of formation is a "not allowable" as it is not a
> > trading expense. It is usually shown in the p&l account
> > but added back in the tax computation.
> >
> > I have never seen the cost of formation being offset
> > against CGT. Usually the formation cost is shown in the
> > accounts as a non allowable expense (which is a debit) the
> > credit is posted to the directors current account, they can
> > subsequently take this money back out of the company again.

>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Just as a matter of interest, what would happen if the formation cost had
> been paid by a *shareholder* who *isn't* also a director? Where would the
> "credit" be posted to offset the "debit"?
>


Tim

This depends upon the business organisation, the auditor's/accountantant's
opinion. Usually it will be credited to other creditors, inter-company
accounts, particapating interests or their may be even a shareholders
account.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Company formation advice ryan.graff234@gmail.com UK Accountancy 0 12-28-2007 08:36 AM
newb: investment before formation of company ? Howard9 UK Accountancy 6 10-29-2006 10:28 PM
Ltd Company Formation & Banking Advice Fred Finisterre UK Accountancy 4 06-06-2004 10:11 AM
Ltd Company Formation & Banking Advice Fred Finisterre UK Finance 2 05-28-2004 09:18 PM
limited company formation/ accountants/ tax/ vat return ? UK Accountancy 5 05-04-2004 12:17 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:31 AM.
Posts in this forum do not constitute the advice of AccountantForums.com or its members. Financial advice should always be taken from qualified advisors before committing to a financial decision.