Accountant Forums


Reply
Thread Tools

deleting old quicken data

 
 
Fen
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      12-19-2010, 03:20 PM
I began using Quicken in 1991 and I have updated the software every year. My computer now contains
about 20 years of backup data. I don't believe I need more than 10 years at the most. Are there
any thoughts about how to discard, or save in another file, the unneeded programs and backup
information?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Andrew
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      12-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Fen wrote:
> I began using Quicken in 1991 and I have updated the software every
> year. My computer now contains about 20 years of backup data. I
> don't believe I need more than 10 years at the most. Are there any
> thoughts about how to discard, or save in another file, the unneeded
> programs and backup information?


You bet! Search the archives, one recent thread is around 11/4/2010.
--
-------------------------------------------------------------
Regards -

- Andrew


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Han
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      12-19-2010, 05:15 PM
"Fen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I began using Quicken in 1991 and I have updated the software every
> year. My computer now contains about 20 years of backup data. I
> don't believe I need more than 10 years at the most. Are there any
> thoughts about how to discard, or save in another file, the unneeded
> programs and backup information?


If you own a home or stock that goes back more than 10 years be sure to
keep the records that determine basis.

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
 
Reply With Quote
 
R. C. White
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      12-19-2010, 10:45 PM
?"Fen" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

I began using Quicken in 1991 and I have updated the software every year.
My computer now contains
about 20 years of backup data. I don't believe I need more than 10 years at
the most. Are there
any thoughts about how to discard, or save in another file, the unneeded
programs and backup
information?


Hi, Fen.

I've been using Quicken about as long as you - since 1990.

> the unneeded programs and backup information?


Programs? I've deleted each year's qw.exe and related program files at the
time I've installed each newer version. My son and his wife are always glad
to get my one-year-old hand-me-downs - or pass them on to Goodwill. ;<)

But my QDF file is still alive and well and it contains all my data for the
full 20-year history. If I need to know what I paid for a TV set in 1991,
it's at my fingertips. If I want to see how much we spent, month by month,
for groceries in 1995, I can see that in a matter of minutes. (Not that I
wonder that very often, but I CAN when I want to!) And it's easy to see the
purchase dates and all the cost bases for all my stocks - and for my cars
and computers. I would not consider deleting the QDF file. So what if it's
over 50 MB now? That would have overflowed my hard disk in the 1980's, but
now it's no problem at all.

As I've said here before, there is a big difference between a backup and an
archive. An archive is something that needs to be preserved for posterity -
or for reference at some far future time. But a backup is needed only until
we're sure that the original is intact and fully usable. I doubt that I
would ever need the backup of my 6/15/1998 QDF file, so it was deleted long
ago - about 6/16/1998 or soon after. But the 12/31/1999 file MIGHT be
historically interesting some day, so I might still have it somewhere in
archives on a DVD-ROM - but probably not here on my hard disk.

My advice is to clean every Quicken program off your hard disk except for
the one you are currently using, but keep the original CD-ROMs in case you
need to re-install Quicken. And delete all but the last few of your QDF
backups - but be SURE that your working copy is in good shape first and that
you have multiple copies of the latest backup stored separately from your
computer for safety. Before you delete old backups, you MIGHT want to
select a few from significant dates and burn them to optical disks or other
(presumably) permanent media. And print out paper copies of those few for
your permanent archives. It's hard to find equipment to read my old
"permanent" 5.25" and even 3.5" floppies, these days, or my 1.5 GB SyJet
cartridges from just 10 years ago, so I'm glad I have paper printouts of the
now-useless data on those disks. But my backups from 2009 are long gone
from my hard disk.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
(Retired. No longer licensed to practice public accounting.)
(E-Mail Removed)
Microsoft Windows MVP (2002-9/30/10)
(Using Quicken Deluxe 2011 R4 and Windows Live Mail in Win7 x64)

 
Reply With Quote
 
Hank Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      12-20-2010, 09:20 AM
I would also go to the Quicken web site, download the last update and
store it with the program CD and backup CDs.

--------

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Microsoft MVP
Windows Server - Directory Services
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/personal-pc-assistant/

On 12/19/2010 5:45 PM, R. C. White wrote:

>
> My advice is to clean every Quicken program off your hard disk except
> for the one you are currently using, but keep the original CD-ROMs in
> case you need to re-install Quicken. And delete all but the last few of
> your QDF backups - but be SURE that your working copy is in good shape
> first and that you have multiple copies of the latest backup stored
> separately from your computer for safety. Before you delete old backups,
> you MIGHT want to select a few from significant dates and burn them to
> optical disks or other (presumably) permanent media. And print out paper
> copies of those few for your permanent archives. It's hard to find
> equipment to read my old "permanent" 5.25" and even 3.5" floppies, these
> days, or my 1.5 GB SyJet cartridges from just 10 years ago, so I'm glad
> I have paper printouts of the now-useless data on those disks. But my
> backups from 2009 are long gone from my hard disk.
>
> RC

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ian McCall
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      12-20-2010, 09:44 AM
On 2010-12-19 22:45:03 +0000, "R. C. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> As I've said here before, there is a big difference between a backup
> and an archive. An archive is something that needs to be preserved for
> posterity - or for reference at some far future time. But a backup is
> needed only until we're sure that the original is intact and fully
> usable. I doubt that I would ever need the backup of my 6/15/1998 QDF
> file, so it was deleted long ago - about 6/16/1998 or soon after. But
> the 12/31/1999 file MIGHT be historically interesting some day, so I
> might still have it somewhere in archives on a DVD-ROM - but probably
> not here on my hard disk.
>
> My advice is to clean every Quicken program off your hard disk except
> for the one you are currently using, but keep the original CD-ROMs in
> case you need to re-install Quicken. And delete all but the last few
> of your QDF backups - but be SURE that your working copy is in good
> shape first and that you have multiple copies of the latest backup
> stored separately from your computer for safety. Before you delete old
> backups, you MIGHT want to select a few from significant dates and burn
> them to optical disks or other (presumably) permanent media. And print
> out paper copies of those few for your permanent archives. It's hard
> to find equipment to read my old "permanent" 5.25" and even 3.5"
> floppies, these days, or my 1.5 GB SyJet cartridges from just 10 years
> ago, so I'm glad I have paper printouts of the now-useless data on
> those disks. But my backups from 2009 are long gone from my hard disk.


I ran my own company a while back, and I need to keep various things
for quite some time due to tax laws. As a result I have an ISO
containing a VMware install of XP with Quicken 2002 installed in it and
my company's final data file there. That ISO is mirrored on three
boxes, each on different continents, and each time there is a VMware
upgrade I ensure I can still open the machine itself (then reseed the
upgraded version). The most local backup resides in my house on a
Drobo, so I have disk redundancy too. Essentially, if the backup goes
it's because the zombie apocalypse has arrived and it's time to start
breaking out the crowbars and cans of spam.

Paranoid? Mois...?


Cheers
Ian

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
uploading new data, deleting data mrric_1@excite.com Quickbooks 0 08-14-2006 05:01 PM
deleting old data Algernon83@gmail.com Quickbooks 2 08-12-2006 01:18 AM
Deleting old data brad Quickbooks 1 08-02-2006 09:50 PM
How do I remove old, old, old stock prices from investment summary on page 1?? Lewis Microsoft Money 3 09-15-2004 12:58 PM
Deleting Old Company File Names from Open company list Rick Johnston Quickbooks 0 09-16-2003 04:34 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:37 AM.
Posts in this forum do not constitute the advice of AccountantForums.com or its members. Financial advice should always be taken from qualified advisors before committing to a financial decision.