Accountant Forums


Reply
Thread Tools

follow up to "Cheque Express Clearance..."

 
 
Troll Hunter
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      12-29-2005, 05:30 PM
On the 27th of Dec I posted a msg to ask when a cheque would be cleared....

1) On the 23rd Dec I paid a cheque into my Halifax account a cheque worth
3000 issued by a account holder from te HSBC which happens to be in the
same town I am.

2) I paid 12 to get it expressed cleared instead of waiting for 7 working
days

3) The cheque was cleared and the cash is now ready as of 5pm today (29th
Dec) and Im now 3000 better off!

Im going to have a very happy new year's eve!


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tumbleweed
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      12-29-2005, 07:13 PM

"Troll Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On the 27th of Dec I posted a msg to ask when a cheque would be
> cleared....
>
> 1) On the 23rd Dec I paid a cheque into my Halifax account a cheque worth
> 3000 issued by a account holder from te HSBC which happens to be in the
> same town I am.
>
> 2) I paid 12 to get it expressed cleared instead of waiting for 7 working
> days
>
> 3) The cheque was cleared and the cash is now ready as of 5pm today (29th
> Dec) and Im now 3000 better off!
>
> Im going to have a very happy new year's eve!
>


Why 7 days? I've had money from cheques in 3 working days with Barclays and
AFAIK thats the norm, isnt it?

--
Tumbleweed

email replies not necessary but to contact use;
tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Troll Hunter
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      12-29-2005, 07:17 PM
"Tumbleweed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Troll Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On the 27th of Dec I posted a msg to ask when a cheque would be
> > cleared....
> >
> > 1) On the 23rd Dec I paid a cheque into my Halifax account a cheque

worth
> > 3000 issued by a account holder from te HSBC which happens to be in the
> > same town I am.
> >
> > 2) I paid 12 to get it expressed cleared instead of waiting for 7

working
> > days
> >
> > 3) The cheque was cleared and the cash is now ready as of 5pm today

(29th
> > Dec) and Im now 3000 better off!
> >
> > Im going to have a very happy new year's eve!
> >

>
> Why 7 days? I've had money from cheques in 3 working days with Barclays

and
> AFAIK thats the norm, isnt it?
>


Halifax isnt a bank... plus the bank holidays and xmas ect... my account is
only a card cash account, not a full current acc.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Tumbleweed
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      12-29-2005, 07:47 PM

"Troll Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Tumbleweed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Troll Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > On the 27th of Dec I posted a msg to ask when a cheque would be
>> > cleared....
>> >
>> > 1) On the 23rd Dec I paid a cheque into my Halifax account a cheque

> worth
>> > 3000 issued by a account holder from te HSBC which happens to be in
>> > the
>> > same town I am.
>> >
>> > 2) I paid 12 to get it expressed cleared instead of waiting for 7

> working
>> > days
>> >
>> > 3) The cheque was cleared and the cash is now ready as of 5pm today

> (29th
>> > Dec) and Im now 3000 better off!
>> >
>> > Im going to have a very happy new year's eve!
>> >

>>
>> Why 7 days? I've had money from cheques in 3 working days with Barclays

> and
>> AFAIK thats the norm, isnt it?
>>

>
> Halifax isnt a bank... plus the bank holidays and xmas ect... my account
> is
> only a card cash account, not a full current acc.
>


you did say 7 *working* days.

--
Tumbleweed

email replies not necessary but to contact use;
tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com


 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      12-29-2005, 09:56 PM
"Tumbleweed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Troll Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Tumbleweed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> "Troll Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> > On the 27th of Dec I posted a msg to ask when a cheque would be
> >> > cleared....
> >> >
> >> > 1) On the 23rd Dec I paid a cheque into my Halifax account a cheque

> > worth
> >> > 3000 issued by a account holder from te HSBC which happens to be in
> >> > the
> >> > same town I am.
> >> >
> >> > 2) I paid 12 to get it expressed cleared instead of waiting for 7

> > working
> >> > days
> >> >
> >> > 3) The cheque was cleared and the cash is now ready as of 5pm today

> > (29th
> >> > Dec) and Im now 3000 better off!
> >> >
> >> > Im going to have a very happy new year's eve!
> >> >
> >>
> >> Why 7 days? I've had money from cheques in 3 working days with Barclays

> > and
> >> AFAIK thats the norm, isnt it?
> >>

> >
> > Halifax isnt a bank... plus the bank holidays and xmas ect... my account
> > is
> > only a card cash account, not a full current acc.
> >

>
> you did say 7 *working* days.
>


Last time I looked Halifax was claiming to be a proper bank and a fully paid
up member of APACS and the cheque clearing process in the guise of HBOS and
is happy to talk a 3 days cycle for its current accounts; as far as I know
it is a con to hang onto your money for as long as possible when you pay it
into a savings account; ensuring they have it available for an extra 4
working days before allowing you to draw on it;

I got rather annoyed them when they tried to tell me a Halifax bank draft
they had issued would take 7 working days to clear; when I questioned why as
the funds had been taken from the funding account when it was issued they
decided to verify the details (place of issue, amount, date, payee etc)
against their computer system and credit the account with cleared funds
immediately.


 
Reply With Quote
 
john boyle
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      12-29-2005, 11:58 PM
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tumbleweed
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>
>"Troll Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On the 27th of Dec I posted a msg to ask when a cheque would be
>> cleared....
>>
>> 1) On the 23rd Dec I paid a cheque into my Halifax account a cheque worth
>> 3000 issued by a account holder from te HSBC which happens to be in the
>> same town I am.
>>
>> 2) I paid 12 to get it expressed cleared instead of waiting for 7 working
>> days
>>
>> 3) The cheque was cleared and the cash is now ready as of 5pm today (29th
>> Dec) and Im now 3000 better off!
>>
>> Im going to have a very happy new year's eve!
>>

>
>Why 7 days? I've had money from cheques in 3 working days with Barclays and
>AFAIK thats the norm, isnt it?


A few things :

The OP banks with Halifax who (aiui) levy an extra day or two before
they regard the cheque as having cleared (i.e. they have got the money)
and because they know the cheque could still be returned unpaid and they
wont find our for another day or two. Not all banks take this attitude
if they trust you..

The OP confuses 'paid', 'cleared' and 'ability to draw against'.

You are confusing Barclays agreement to lend you dosh against a paid
cheque before it is cleared with the cheque being 'paid'.
--
John Boyle
 
Reply With Quote
 
john boyle
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      12-30-2005, 12:05 AM
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Troll Hunter
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>3) The cheque was cleared and the cash is now ready as of 5pm today (29th
>Dec) and Im now 3000 better off!
>
>Im going to have a very happy new year's eve!


Which pub will you be in?
--
John Boyle
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tumbleweed
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      12-30-2005, 10:10 AM

"john boyle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8CHiz1O$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tumbleweed
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>
>>"Troll Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> On the 27th of Dec I posted a msg to ask when a cheque would be
>>> cleared....
>>>
>>> 1) On the 23rd Dec I paid a cheque into my Halifax account a cheque
>>> worth
>>> 3000 issued by a account holder from te HSBC which happens to be in the
>>> same town I am.
>>>
>>> 2) I paid 12 to get it expressed cleared instead of waiting for 7
>>> working
>>> days
>>>
>>> 3) The cheque was cleared and the cash is now ready as of 5pm today
>>> (29th
>>> Dec) and Im now 3000 better off!
>>>
>>> Im going to have a very happy new year's eve!
>>>

>>
>>Why 7 days? I've had money from cheques in 3 working days with Barclays
>>and
>>AFAIK thats the norm, isnt it?

>
> A few things :
>
> The OP banks with Halifax who (aiui) levy an extra day or two before they
> regard the cheque as having cleared (i.e. they have got the money) and
> because they know the cheque could still be returned unpaid and they wont
> find our for another day or two. Not all banks take this attitude if they
> trust you..
>
> The OP confuses 'paid', 'cleared' and 'ability to draw against'.
>
> You are confusing Barclays agreement to lend you dosh against a paid
> cheque before it is cleared with the cheque being 'paid'.


Am I? AIUI Barclays will let me draw up to 1000 against a cheque
immediately its paid in. That would be the 'lending me the dosh bit (though
it doesn't count as lending unless the cheque bounces). And AIUI normal
clearing time for a cheque is 3 working days, eg when its 'paid'. Or is this
incorrect?

--
Tumbleweed

email replies not necessary but to contact use;
tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com


 
Reply With Quote
 
Tumbleweed
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      12-31-2005, 01:57 AM

"john boyle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IrI$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tumbleweed
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>
>>Am I? AIUI Barclays will let me draw up to 1000 against a cheque
>>immediately its paid in. That would be the 'lending me the dosh bit
>>(though
>>it doesn't count as lending unless the cheque bounces).

>
> No it is lending whether it bounces or not, at least for the few days
> until Barclays get paid for it, which is day 3.


What I meant re ' doesnt count as lending' is that I dont get charged
interest on it unless it bounces even though technically the money isnt
there straight away so if i paid in 1000 as cheque and immediately withdrew
1000 in cash, technically I owe them a grand for a few days.

--
Tumbleweed

email replies not necessary but to contact use;
tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com


 
Reply With Quote
 
john boyle
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      12-31-2005, 11:39 AM
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tumbleweed
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>What I meant re ' doesnt count as lending' is that I dont get charged
>interest on it unless it bounces


Are you sure they dont charge you any ineterst? (Bear in mind they might
not charge the interest until the end of the quarter)


> even though technically the money isnt
>there straight away so if i paid in 1000 as cheque and immediately withdrew
>1000 in cash, technically I owe them a grand for a few days.
>


--
John Boyle
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: PAGING John Pollard Splits with 2009 FOLLOW UP John Pollard Quicken 0 11-01-2008 05:46 PM
Follow-Up_Examinations_&_Delegation_of_Authority Bill Brown Tax 0 06-16-2006 07:19 AM
2004 amendment follow-up... aye-lop Tax 2 02-06-2006 07:59 AM
Is there a list I can follow to do my taxes? Jenny3kids@msn.net Tax 0 02-10-2004 10:04 PM
closing invoices - follow-up SirStuff Quickbooks 1 11-15-2003 03:19 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:21 PM.
Posts in this forum do not constitute the advice of AccountantForums.com or its members. Financial advice should always be taken from qualified advisors before committing to a financial decision.