Accountant Forums


Reply
Thread Tools

Money 2004 and Windows 7

 
 
Peter Lanky
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      09-23-2009, 08:09 AM
I have never enjoyed the experience of using Money in Vista as the programme
frequently hangs for 10-20 seconds every time I do anything (data entry,
editing, looking at reports etc).

I am due to migrate to Windows 7 when it is released, which will be a new
clean installation on a new hard drive. From their experience of the trial
versions, does anyone anticipate me having similar problems with Money on
Windows 7?

I also notice from a previous post that users have been advised to create a
new CD for Money 2005, which involves consolidating an update with the
original files. Are there any similar issues with Money 2004? I ask this, the
the files described on the walk-through to fix Money 2005 don't (appear to)
exist in my Money 2004 installation.

I am using the version of Money shipped with MS Works 2004 shown as version
12.0
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
teabag
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      09-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Money 2004 was 'fit for purpose' as shipped and you should NOT need to
create a new slipstreamed CD for future re-installation.
AFAIK Money 2004 does 'report home' - so potentially MS could cripple it
following any fresh installation / re-installation.

Windows XP SP3 Professional is a good operating system and my Money never
hangs on it. Vista is imperfect; do you really need Windows 7?

teabag



"Peter Lanky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have never enjoyed the experience of using Money in Vista as the
>programme
> frequently hangs for 10-20 seconds every time I do anything (data entry,
> editing, looking at reports etc).
>
> I am due to migrate to Windows 7 when it is released, which will be a new
> clean installation on a new hard drive. From their experience of the trial
> versions, does anyone anticipate me having similar problems with Money on
> Windows 7?
>
> I also notice from a previous post that users have been advised to create
> a
> new CD for Money 2005, which involves consolidating an update with the
> original files. Are there any similar issues with Money 2004? I ask this,
> the
> the files described on the walk-through to fix Money 2005 don't (appear
> to)
> exist in my Money 2004 installation.
>
> I am using the version of Money shipped with MS Works 2004 shown as
> version
> 12.0



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Peter Lanky
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      09-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the info Teabag. What does MS Money reporting home actually mean?

I have recently loaded money on an XP laptop with no problems, so it's not
been crippled yet.

I wanted Windows 7 as I want a 64 bit o/s seeing as I have a 64 bit
compatible PC. I want to have more RAM than 32 bit allows for photo
processing as the task is very laborious at the moment. It is also time for
me to reinstall Windows as I've not done this for 30 months, and the price of
Windows 7 is cheap so it seemed the logical option to purchase it. I also
want a larger hard drive.

"teabag" wrote:

> Money 2004 was 'fit for purpose' as shipped and you should NOT need to
> create a new slipstreamed CD for future re-installation.
> AFAIK Money 2004 does 'report home' - so potentially MS could cripple it
> following any fresh installation / re-installation.
>
> Windows XP SP3 Professional is a good operating system and my Money never
> hangs on it. Vista is imperfect; do you really need Windows 7?
>
> teabag
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
teabag
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      09-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Photo processing is certainly a good reason to go to 64bit computing.

Old versions of Money and other programs like Office 2000 did not 'report
home' (to MS HQ in Redmond USA) - after installation they would work
straightaway and remain useable indefinitely. When they were new the
internet was not universally available.
Now, with universal internet, many programs 'report home' to their maker
after installation. Look at the Money EULA (End User Licence Agreement) you
will learn that you don't own the software on your CD - you merely own a
licence to use it. Moreover, in recent versions of Money that licence is
time limited. MS could cripple or change the software at any time though of
course they are not likely to do so deliberately during the licence period.

teabag


"Peter Lanky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the info Teabag. What does MS Money reporting home actually
> mean?
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Terry Heinz
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      09-25-2009, 08:06 AM
On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 18:55:26 +0100, teabag wrote:

>Money 2004 was 'fit for purpose' as shipped and you should NOT need to
>create a new slipstreamed CD for future re-installation.
>AFAIK Money 2004 does 'report home' - so potentially MS could cripple it
>following any fresh installation / re-installation.


I'm using Money 2004 but I'm an Aussie so not using Money 2004 UK.
My firewall never alerts me that "Money" is trying to report home, the UK
version might be different.

To the other poster: reporting home means that after Programmes are
installed they may try to send data back to them or they maybe searching
for new updates.
--

Terry Heinz.
 
Reply With Quote
 
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      09-26-2009, 08:47 AM
On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 18:06:43 +1000, Terry Heinz wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 18:55:26 +0100, teabag wrote:
>
>>Money 2004 was 'fit for purpose' as shipped and you should NOT need to
>>create a new slipstreamed CD for future re-installation.
>>AFAIK Money 2004 does 'report home' - so potentially MS could cripple it
>>following any fresh installation / re-installation.

>
> I'm using Money 2004 but I'm an Aussie so not using Money 2004 UK.
> My firewall never alerts me that "Money" is trying to report home, the UK
> version might be different.
>
> To the other poster: reporting home means that after Programmes are
> installed they may try to send data back to them or they maybe searching
> for new updates.


I thought that UK and Australia used the international version (the
same version).
 
Reply With Quote
 
Cal Learner
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      09-26-2009, 02:51 PM
In microsoft.public.uk.money, John wrote:

>
>I thought that UK and Australia used the international version (the
>same version).


Australia sold the international version. UK sold the UK version.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Asplin
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      02-07-2010, 03:32 PM


"Peter Lanky" wrote:

> I have never enjoyed the experience of using Money in Vista as the programme
> frequently hangs for 10-20 seconds every time I do anything (data entry,
> editing, looking at reports etc).
>
> I am due to migrate to Windows 7 when it is released, which will be a new
> clean installation on a new hard drive. From their experience of the trial
> versions, does anyone anticipate me having similar problems with Money on
> Windows 7?
>
> I also notice from a previous post that users have been advised to create a
> new CD for Money 2005, which involves consolidating an update with the
> original files. Are there any similar issues with Money 2004? I ask this, the
> the files described on the walk-through to fix Money 2005 don't (appear to)
> exist in my Money 2004 installation.
>
> I am using the version of Money shipped with MS Works 2004 shown as version
> 12.0



Hi Peter

I am in a similar position wanted to upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit and have
Money 2004. Could you tell me if it all went smoothly please?

Thanks

Mike
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Bending
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      02-08-2010, 09:26 AM
On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 07:32:01 -0800, Mike Asplin
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>
>"Peter Lanky" wrote:
>
>> I have never enjoyed the experience of using Money in Vista as the programme
>> frequently hangs for 10-20 seconds every time I do anything (data entry,
>> editing, looking at reports etc).
>>
>> I am due to migrate to Windows 7 when it is released, which will be a new
>> clean installation on a new hard drive. From their experience of the trial
>> versions, does anyone anticipate me having similar problems with Money on
>> Windows 7?
>>
>> I also notice from a previous post that users have been advised to create a
>> new CD for Money 2005, which involves consolidating an update with the
>> original files. Are there any similar issues with Money 2004? I ask this, the
>> the files described on the walk-through to fix Money 2005 don't (appear to)
>> exist in my Money 2004 installation.
>>
>> I am using the version of Money shipped with MS Works 2004 shown as version
>> 12.0

>
>
>Hi Peter
>
>I am in a similar position wanted to upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit and have
>Money 2004. Could you tell me if it all went smoothly please?
>
>Thanks
>
>Mike


I run Money 2004 and upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 64bit last year
using the MS Windows 7 upgrade disk - no problems at all, though this
did not involve a re-installation of Money.

I did reinstall Money 2004 from new last August onto Vista - no
problems. Probably safest to open the sample money file first to get
the bug fixes.

What will happen when MS cease Money support I dont know.

Mike (another one)
--
Mike Bending
 
Reply With Quote
 
RayG
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      02-09-2010, 03:31 PM

"Mike Asplin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>
> "Peter Lanky" wrote:
>
>> I have never enjoyed the experience of using Money in Vista as the
>> programme
>> frequently hangs for 10-20 seconds every time I do anything (data entry,
>> editing, looking at reports etc).
>>
>> I am due to migrate to Windows 7 when it is released, which will be a new
>> clean installation on a new hard drive. From their experience of the
>> trial
>> versions, does anyone anticipate me having similar problems with Money on
>> Windows 7?
>>
>> I also notice from a previous post that users have been advised to create
>> a
>> new CD for Money 2005, which involves consolidating an update with the
>> original files. Are there any similar issues with Money 2004? I ask this,
>> the
>> the files described on the walk-through to fix Money 2005 don't (appear
>> to)
>> exist in my Money 2004 installation.
>>
>> I am using the version of Money shipped with MS Works 2004 shown as
>> version
>> 12.0

>
>
> Hi Peter
>
> I am in a similar position wanted to upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit and have
> Money 2004. Could you tell me if it all went smoothly please?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike


Money 2004 works OK on W7 64 Bit - I have done a clean install of both with
no issues at all.

--
Regards

RayG

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cannot sign into money AND windows lived ID says there is no such e-mail as I was using as my Windows Live ID kaplan3jiim@example.com Microsoft Money 3 01-19-2009 02:21 PM
Registry Fix for MS Money 2006 and MS Money for PocketPC 2006 in Windows Vista with Windows Mobile Device Center daworldwide@hotmail.com Microsoft Money 6 03-04-2007 03:28 PM
sage and windows 98 and windows xp Gem Microsoft Accounting 1 04-06-2006 03:48 PM
Very Odd Problem with Quicken 2004, Windows XP and Windows Backup BenignVanilla Quicken 2 01-27-2004 10:22 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:50 PM.
Posts in this forum do not constitute the advice of AccountantForums.com or its members. Financial advice should always be taken from qualified advisors before committing to a financial decision.