Accountant Forums


Reply
Thread Tools

Please... What is the qdata.idx file?

 
 
Irma Flintstone
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      06-01-2004, 03:44 AM
Please, I'm in serious need of help.

What is the qdata.idx file?

My Quicken data files and backups used to include an ".idx" file.
It's now missing. I'm having serious Quicken problems and am
wondering if this is the cause.

I have Quicken Deluxe 2004. My data have become all but unusable.
The only way to access them in Quicken is to copy the datafiles from
the Quicken directory to elsewhere and then do a "restore." Once
open, I can make entries, but I can't do file operations (backup,
copy, validate) without crashing. Quicken also crashes on "exit."
(But the new entries are retained in the data files after crashing.)

Could the absence of the ".idx" file be my problem? If so, any
suggestions on how to get it back?

Please comment. I've relied on Quicken since 1992, and am in serious
trouble if I can't fix.

Thanks very much.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Michael
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      06-01-2004, 10:43 AM
I checked Quicken's website but could not find the file extension
definitions. I did however see that there should be a copy of the file in
the "Quicken\Backup" directory.

If you have multiple files with that extension, make sure you use the MOST
RECENT date.

Hope his helps...

Mike


"Irma Flintstone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Please, I'm in serious need of help.
>
> What is the qdata.idx file?
>
> My Quicken data files and backups used to include an ".idx" file.
> It's now missing. I'm having serious Quicken problems and am
> wondering if this is the cause.
>
> I have Quicken Deluxe 2004. My data have become all but unusable.
> The only way to access them in Quicken is to copy the datafiles from
> the Quicken directory to elsewhere and then do a "restore." Once
> open, I can make entries, but I can't do file operations (backup,
> copy, validate) without crashing. Quicken also crashes on "exit."
> (But the new entries are retained in the data files after crashing.)
>
> Could the absence of the ".idx" file be my problem? If so, any
> suggestions on how to get it back?
>
> Please comment. I've relied on Quicken since 1992, and am in serious
> trouble if I can't fix.
>
> Thanks very much.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike B
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      06-01-2004, 11:17 AM
I believe the <filename>.IDX file is not critical, Quicken creates it when
it runs and will create it in the startup directory that the shortcut for
the application specifies. Search back in the Google groups archive, it has
been discussed there. I also saw that you posted a similar question on May
15th. I hope you can get this resolved, it must be difficult. Here is a list
of "essential" Quicken files that Andrew (a frequent poster in this NG)
posted a short while back in response to a query of mine.

>Originally from the Quicken HELP file, with modification for Q2002's QSD
>entry:
>
><filename>.QDF Contains all your transactions, a dictionary of
>addresses of unprinted checks, descriptions in split transactions, and all
>the
>items that Quicken memorizes for you (categories, classes, memorized
>transactions etc.)
>
><filename>.QSD Contains your custom icons, Financial Calendar notes, extra
>account information, and information about your loans
>
><filename>.QEL Contains your online services data. Appears only if you
>use online banking or online payment services
>
><filename>.QTX Contains your tax planning data. Appears only if you
>use the Quicken Tax Planner.
>
><filename>.QPH contains your investment price history
>


Maybe some of the more experienced Quicken users on here will provide some
better suggestions, but I would suggest that you use a few of the following
techniques to try and narrow down the problem.

Create a new Quicken fileset. E.g.. if your Quicken files are named
QDATA.QDF, then from the Quicken file menu, choose "New" and create a
Quicken fileset named TEST. See if Quicken's behavior improve if you create
a new account in this new fileset. This will help you to determine if it is
your data or the Quicken program that is corrupted.

If it proves to be the program, consider reinstalling Q2004. If the program
is stable with a new fileset, you may want to try and export one account
from your original fileset in .QIF form and import it into the TEST fileset
to see if that works. If that works, you may want to export all your
accounts in the same manner and import them into the TEST (or a name to your
liking) fileset. Then all that would remain is to recreate all the Scheduled
transactions etc, but at least you would have salvaged your data.

I hope someone more experienced will also comment with alternate methods to
help you troubleshoot this problem.

MikeB

"Irma Flintstone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Please, I'm in serious need of help.
>
> What is the qdata.idx file?
>
> My Quicken data files and backups used to include an ".idx" file.
> It's now missing. I'm having serious Quicken problems and am
> wondering if this is the cause.
>
> I have Quicken Deluxe 2004. My data have become all but unusable.
> The only way to access them in Quicken is to copy the datafiles from
> the Quicken directory to elsewhere and then do a "restore." Once
> open, I can make entries, but I can't do file operations (backup,
> copy, validate) without crashing. Quicken also crashes on "exit."
> (But the new entries are retained in the data files after crashing.)
>
> Could the absence of the ".idx" file be my problem? If so, any
> suggestions on how to get it back?
>
> Please comment. I've relied on Quicken since 1992, and am in serious
> trouble if I can't fix.
>
> Thanks very much.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike B
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      06-01-2004, 11:33 AM

Big OOPS.

I just rechecked my files and I *do* have a .IDX file in my backups. I
don't know how I confused it with the errant .DIR file that appears on the
desktop. Sorry, I hope you get this in time. I still think the other methods
will help you localize the source of the problem.

MikeB


 
Reply With Quote
 
The Michael
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      06-01-2004, 12:46 PM
On 31 May 2004 20:44:54 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Irma Flintstone) wrote:

>Please, I'm in serious need of help.
>
>What is the qdata.idx file?
>
>My Quicken data files and backups used to include an ".idx" file.
>It's now missing. I'm having serious Quicken problems and am
>wondering if this is the cause.
>
>I have Quicken Deluxe 2004. My data have become all but unusable.
>The only way to access them in Quicken is to copy the datafiles from
>the Quicken directory to elsewhere and then do a "restore." Once
>open, I can make entries, but I can't do file operations (backup,
>copy, validate) without crashing. Quicken also crashes on "exit."
>(But the new entries are retained in the data files after crashing.)
>
>Could the absence of the ".idx" file be my problem? If so, any
>suggestions on how to get it back?
>
>Please comment. I've relied on Quicken since 1992, and am in serious
>trouble if I can't fix.
>
>Thanks very much.


I am not sure what it is for, but mine has the same time stamp as my .QDF file. I
use 2 .QDF files from day to day and the .idx timestamps match on both.
--
Mike
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Balcom
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      06-01-2004, 05:06 PM
On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:46:11 GMT, The Michael <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

}I am not sure what it is for, but mine has the same time stamp as my .QDF file. I
}use 2 .QDF files from day to day and the .idx timestamps match on both.

Here is just a guess but I would bet it is an index file for the data base.
Index files can speed up searches, etc.

Later,
Dave
 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrew
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      06-01-2004, 11:16 PM
Dave Balcom wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:46:11 GMT, The Michael <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> }I am not sure what it is for, but mine has the same time stamp as my
> .QDF file. I }use 2 .QDF files from day to day and the .idx
> timestamps match on both.
>
> Here is just a guess but I would bet it is an index file for the data
> base.
> Index files can speed up searches, etc.
>
> Later,
> Dave


This question came up about a month or so ago about what is the (qdata).idx
file. I couldn't find anything on it in the Google archives, Quicken
website, or my quicken help file. I'd really like to get a definitive
answer about this to update my list that Mike B reposted. John P, Andrew D,
or even Bruce Lee (I can't believe he doesn't follow this NG still!! :-))
any help or definitive answers here?
--
--
Regards -

- Andrew


 
Reply With Quote
 
John Pollard
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      06-01-2004, 11:23 PM
Andrew wrote:
> Dave Balcom wrote:
> > On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:46:11 GMT, The Michael
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > }I am not sure what it is for, but mine has the same time
> > stamp as my .QDF file. I }use 2 .QDF files from day to day
> > and the .idx
> > timestamps match on both.
> >
> > Here is just a guess but I would bet it is an index file for
> > the data base.
> > Index files can speed up searches, etc.
> >
> > Later,
> > Dave

>
> This question came up about a month or so ago about what is

the
> (qdata).idx file. I couldn't find anything on it in the

Google
> archives, Quicken website, or my quicken help file. I'd

really
> like to get a definitive answer about this to update my list
> that Mike B reposted. John P, Andrew D, or even Bruce Lee (I
> can't believe he doesn't follow this NG still!! :-)) any help
> or definitive answers here? --


I can't tell you anything specific about the idx file; but I am
fairly certain that someone with Q2004 can provide a reasonably
definitive answer to the op as to whether that file is
necessary.

Just make a copy of your regular Quicken fileset to some
temporary folder, delete the idx file from that folder, then
open that fileset with Quicken and try a number of transactions,
reports, etc.

If the idx file is not present for all Q2004 users, it would
suggest that it is like the qtx file in that it is only created
when certain events take place in Quicken. A bit of fiddling in
that same temporary file could probably turn up the event that
creates the idx file.

--
John Pollard
First Last at Bellsouth dot net


 
Reply With Quote
 
Irma Flintstone
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      06-02-2004, 06:05 AM
In follow-up to my original post...

Many thanks for your responses. To address a couple earlier
suggestions:
-- I uninstalled and re-installed Quicken. Still crashed.
-- I then loaded the Quicken program and copied the QDATA datafiles
(without an .IDX file) onto another machine. Quicken crashed on the
second machine too.
-- I also had exported to .QIF file and reimported. Though the
import completed, the numerical results were nonsense (e.g., checking
balance of -$500K, zero balance in other accounts).

*However* last night I made a few entries into Quicken (paycheck,
checking & savings entries), finished, and clicked on the upper-right
"close" icon, expecting it to crash as usual. It closed normally! I
went to the Quicken directory, and the previously missing .IDX file
was now present. I immediately reopened Quicken, did some file
operations (copy, backup) and all went smoothly. I'm happily
dumbfounded. I don't understand it, but it does seem to suggest that
certain operations will recreate the IDX file, and that the IDX file,
if not essential, facilitates the smooth execution of Quicken. FWIW,
my QDF file is 16MB.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, because in dealing with this problem
over the last several weeks, the IDX file has appeared and then
disappeared repeatedly (along with the crash problem).

Also FWIW, I'm still at Release R1 from my reinstall. (I'm now afraid
to update to R5(?), since that's what was running when the problem
originally appeared.)

Thanks again. Would still like to get an understanding of the IDX
file, if anyone can help.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What year is a RE transaction reported in? Lagrangian Mechanic Tax 2 04-06-2013 01:08 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:18 AM.
Posts in this forum do not constitute the advice of AccountantForums.com or its members. Financial advice should always be taken from qualified advisors before committing to a financial decision.