Accountant Forums


Reply
Thread Tools

reconcile not showing all transactions

 
 
EdStevens
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      08-13-2008, 10:57 PM
Q 2006 Dlx on Vista Premium

Doing a checking account statement reconciliation. I do all of my
reconciliations to 'paper' statement, not online. Usually goes
without a hitch, but this time it was off by the amount of one pay
check. Digging a bit deeper, the deposit is in my Q account register,
it is on the bank statement, but the list brought up for
reconciliation doesn't show it. Double checked dates of statement vs.
reconciliation and they are good. Q. reconciliation is showing
transactions before and after the 'missing' deposit. Ran a file
verification, which reported no problems.

Ideas?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Pollard
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      08-13-2008, 11:18 PM
EdStevens wrote:
> Q 2006 Dlx on Vista Premium
>
> Doing a checking account statement reconciliation. I do all
> of my
> reconciliations to 'paper' statement, not online. Usually
> goes
> without a hitch, but this time it was off by the amount of one
> pay
> check. Digging a bit deeper, the deposit is in my Q account
> register,
> it is on the bank statement, but the list brought up for
> reconciliation doesn't show it.


> Double checked dates of statement vs.
> reconciliation and they are good.


This is probably the key ... but it's not clear "exactly" what
dates you compared. If you compared using "transaction" date
(the date you see in your Quicken register), your comparison was
not valid.

You need to make sure the "Posting date" of your register
transaction is not later than the "statement date" of your
reconcile.

> Q. reconciliation is showing
> transactions before and after the 'missing' deposit. Ran a
> file
> verification, which reported no problems.
>
> Ideas?


--

John Pollard
First initial underscore Last name at mchsi dot com
Please reply to newsgroup


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
EdStevens
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      08-14-2008, 01:42 AM
On Aug 13, 6:18 pm, "John Pollard" <inva...@invalid.com> wrote:
> EdStevens wrote:
> > Q 2006 Dlx on Vista Premium

>
> > Doing a checking account statement reconciliation. I do all
> > of my
> > reconciliations to 'paper' statement, not online. Usually
> > goes
> > without a hitch, but this time it was off by the amount of one
> > pay
> > check. Digging a bit deeper, the deposit is in my Q account
> > register,
> > it is on the bank statement, but the list brought up for
> > reconciliation doesn't show it.
> > Double checked dates of statement vs.
> > reconciliation and they are good.

>
> This is probably the key ... but it's not clear "exactly" what
> dates you compared. If you compared using "transaction" date
> (the date you see in your Quicken register), your comparison was
> not valid.
>
> You need to make sure the "Posting date" of your register
> transaction is not later than the "statement date" of your
> reconcile.
>
> > Q. reconciliation is showing
> > transactions before and after the 'missing' deposit. Ran a
> > file
> > verification, which reported no problems.

>
> > Ideas?

>
> --
>
> John Pollard
> First initial underscore Last name at mchsi dot com
> Please reply to newsgrou


The period of the paper statement is 6/12 to 7/14. The date of the
'missing' transaction is 7/3. The "statement summary" window during
reconciliation shows deposits dating from 6/12 to 8/14. All deposits
from 6/12 through 7/9 are checked to be reconciled.

(If you're wondering why I'm just now reconciling a statement from
that period .... my bank has had recent problems getting statements
out. We don't get paper statements in the mail .. just an email
notification of availability, then we download a pdf. We now have
other issues with them as well, as seen in my other posting
today ....) :-(
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Pollard
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      08-14-2008, 01:07 PM
EdStevens wrote:
> On Aug 13, 6:18 pm, "John Pollard" <inva...@invalid.com>
> wrote:
>> EdStevens wrote:
>>> Q 2006 Dlx on Vista Premium

>>
>>> Doing a checking account statement reconciliation. I do all
>>> of my
>>> reconciliations to 'paper' statement, not online. Usually
>>> goes
>>> without a hitch, but this time it was off by the amount of
>>> one
>>> pay
>>> check. Digging a bit deeper, the deposit is in my Q account
>>> register,
>>> it is on the bank statement, but the list brought up for
>>> reconciliation doesn't show it.
>>> Double checked dates of statement vs.
>>> reconciliation and they are good.

>>
>> This is probably the key ... but it's not clear "exactly"
>> what
>> dates you compared. If you compared using "transaction" date
>> (the date you see in your Quicken register), your comparison
>> was
>> not valid.
>>
>> You need to make sure the "Posting date" of your register
>> transaction is not later than the "statement date" of your
>> reconcile.
>>
>>> Q. reconciliation is showing
>>> transactions before and after the 'missing' deposit. Ran a
>>> file
>>> verification, which reported no problems.

>>
>>> Ideas?

>>


> The period of the paper statement is 6/12 to 7/14.


> The date of the 'missing' transaction is 7/3.


Again: is this the "transaction" date? If so, it is not the
date that matters.

Right click the 7/3 transaction (in the register). Then hold
down the CTRL key while left-clicking "Copy transaction". What
is the "Posting date"? If it is later than July 14, that is why
it's not showing up in the reconcile.

> The "statement summary" window during
> reconciliation shows deposits dating from 6/12 to 8/14.


The reconcile window only shows "transaction" dates, not
"posting" dates.

--

John Pollard
First initial underscore Last name at mchsi dot com
Please reply to newsgroup


 
Reply With Quote
 
EdStevens
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      08-14-2008, 02:16 PM
On Aug 14, 8:07 am, "John Pollard" <inva...@invalid.com> wrote:
> EdStevens wrote:
> > On Aug 13, 6:18 pm, "John Pollard" <inva...@invalid.com>
> > wrote:
> >> EdStevens wrote:
> >>> Q 2006 Dlx on Vista Premium

>
> >>> Doing a checking account statement reconciliation. I do all
> >>> of my
> >>> reconciliations to 'paper' statement, not online. Usually
> >>> goes
> >>> without a hitch, but this time it was off by the amount of
> >>> one
> >>> pay
> >>> check. Digging a bit deeper, the deposit is in my Q account
> >>> register,
> >>> it is on the bank statement, but the list brought up for
> >>> reconciliation doesn't show it.
> >>> Double checked dates of statement vs.
> >>> reconciliation and they are good.

>
> >> This is probably the key ... but it's not clear "exactly"
> >> what
> >> dates you compared. If you compared using "transaction" date
> >> (the date you see in your Quicken register), your comparison
> >> was
> >> not valid.

>
> >> You need to make sure the "Posting date" of your register
> >> transaction is not later than the "statement date" of your
> >> reconcile.

>
> >>> Q. reconciliation is showing
> >>> transactions before and after the 'missing' deposit. Ran a
> >>> file
> >>> verification, which reported no problems.

>
> >>> Ideas?

>
> > The period of the paper statement is 6/12 to 7/14.
> > The date of the 'missing' transaction is 7/3.

>
> Again: is this the "transaction" date? If so, it is not the
> date that matters.
>
> Right click the 7/3 transaction (in the register). Then hold
> down the CTRL key while left-clicking "Copy transaction". What
> is the "Posting date"? If it is later than July 14, that is why
> it's not showing up in the reconcile.
>
> > The "statement summary" window during
> > reconciliation shows deposits dating from 6/12 to 8/14.

>
> The reconcile window only shows "transaction" dates, not
> "posting" dates.
>
> --
>
> John Pollard
> First initial underscore Last name at mchsi dot com
> Please reply to newsgroup


That was it. That 'posting date' was shown as July 17. Not sure how
that happened as the transaction is an electronic deposite of my
paycheck, but there it was. With that 'secret' key combination I was
able to edit the posting date to match the date as shown on the bank
statement, and everything matched up after that.

Thanks again for you help
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ron
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      12-08-2012, 06:35 PM
responding to
http://www.beansmart.com/quicken/rec...ons-14961-.htm
, Ron wrote:
> invalid wrote:
>
>
>
> EdStevens wrote:
> > On Aug 13, 6:18 pm, "John Pollard"

> <inva...@invalid.com>
> > wrote:
> >> EdStevens wrote:
> >>> Q 2006 Dlx on Vista Premium
> >>
> >>> Doing a checking account statement reconciliation. I do

> all
> >>> of my
> >>> reconciliations to 'paper' statement, not online. Usually
> >>> goes
> >>> without a hitch, but this time it was off by the amount of

>
> >>> one
> >>> pay
> >>> check. Digging a bit deeper, the deposit is in my Q

> account
> >>> register,
> >>> it is on the bank statement, but the list brought up for
> >>> reconciliation doesn't show it.
> >>> Double checked dates of statement vs.
> >>> reconciliation and they are good.
> >>
> >> This is probably the key ... but it's not clear

> "exactly"
> >> what
> >> dates you compared. If you compared using

> "transaction" date
> >> (the date you see in your Quicken register), your comparison
> >> was
> >> not valid.
> >>
> >> You need to make sure the "Posting date" of your

> register
> >> transaction is not later than the "statement date"

> of your
> >> reconcile.
> >>
> >>> Q. reconciliation is showing
> >>> transactions before and after the 'missing' deposit. Ran

> a
> >>> file
> >>> verification, which reported no problems.
> >>
> >>> Ideas?
> >>

>
> > The period of the paper statement is 6/12 to 7/14.

>
> > The date of the 'missing' transaction is 7/3.

>
> Again: is this the "transaction" date? If so, it is not the
> date that matters.
>
> Right click the 7/3 transaction (in the register). Then hold
> down the CTRL key while left-clicking "Copy transaction".
> What
> is the "Posting date"? If it is later than July 14, that is
> why
> it's not showing up in the reconcile.
>
> > The "statement summary" window during
> > reconciliation shows deposits dating from 6/12 to 8/14.

>
> The reconcile window only shows "transaction" dates, not
> "posting" dates.
>


I know this is an old thread, but John, thank you so much. I was not aware
that for electronic transactions, the posting date could be so far from the
transaction date. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out why 2
transactions were not showing up in the reconcile window. The information you
gave was exactly what I needed to perfectly balance my account. Thanks again!


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Ref" column not showing all of Ref field kimer in NH Quickbooks 2 09-28-2007 05:15 PM
Unreconcied Transactions not showing in a Cash Transactions Sandac Microsoft Money 9 02-21-2007 01:02 AM
Unreconcied Transactions not showing in a Cash Transactions Sandac Microsoft Money 0 02-19-2007 08:50 PM
Downloaded Transactions not matching correctly, non-downloaded transactions showing up with 'E' status when they shouldn't johndog Microsoft Money 7 02-03-2007 08:00 PM
1099's not showing all compensation no@spam.please Quickbooks 2 02-01-2005 04:07 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:31 AM.
Posts in this forum do not constitute the advice of AccountantForums.com or its members. Financial advice should always be taken from qualified advisors before committing to a financial decision.