Accountant Forums


Reply
Thread Tools

how to report ssi on parents tax return

 
 
bakern
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      04-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Parents elect to report dependant (12 years old) income on their tax return.
The dependant receives SSI due to parent's disability (also collecting SSI).

Where do we report the dependant's SSI income on the parent's return?
Tia
Neil

--
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>
<< nor can it used, for the purpose of avoiding penalties >>
<< that may be imposed upon the taxpayer. >>
<< >>
<< The Charter and the Guidelines for submitting posts >>
<< to this newsgroup as well as our anti-spamming policy >>
<< are at www.asktax.org. >>
<< Copyright (2007) - All rights reserved. >>
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Arthur Kamlet
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      04-04-2010, 11:45 PM
In article <sa6un.121354$(E-Mail Removed)>,
bakern <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Parents elect to report dependant (12 years old) income on their tax return.
>The dependant receives SSI due to parent's disability (also collecting SSI).
>
>Where do we report the dependant's SSI income on the parent's return?



Supplemental Security Income (ssi) is not taxable. Do not report it.
--

ArtKamlet at a o l dot c o m Columbus OH K2PZH

--
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>
<< nor can it used, for the purpose of avoiding penalties >>
<< that may be imposed upon the taxpayer. >>
<< >>
<< The Charter and the Guidelines for submitting posts >>
<< to this newsgroup as well as our anti-spamming policy >>
<< are at www.asktax.org. >>
<< Copyright (2007) - All rights reserved. >>
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Phil Marti
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      04-05-2010, 10:34 AM
On Apr 4, 4:10*pm, "bakern" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Parents elect to report dependant (12 years old) income on their tax return.
> The dependant receives SSI due to parent's disability (also collecting SSI).


As Art already pointed out, SSI isn't taxable and never goes on
anybody's return. Since the parents are evidently required to file, I
suspect that we're talking about Social Security Disability Income
(SSDI), which may be taxable.

If the child is receiving SSDI the parents cannot include the child's
income on their return. The child must file a return, including the
child's SSDI, if the child is required to file. See the filing
requirements for dependents in the 1040 instructions.

Phil Marti
VITA/TCE Volunteer

--
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>
<< nor can it used, for the purpose of avoiding penalties >>
<< that may be imposed upon the taxpayer. >>
<< >>
<< The Charter and the Guidelines for submitting posts >>
<< to this newsgroup as well as our anti-spamming policy >>
<< are at www.asktax.org. >>
<< Copyright (2007) - All rights reserved. >>
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gene E. Utterback, EA, RFC, ABA
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      04-05-2010, 03:34 PM
"Phil Marti" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Apr 4, 4:10 pm, "bakern" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Parents elect to report dependant (12 years old) income on their tax
>> return.
>> The dependant receives SSI due to parent's disability (also collecting
>> SSI).

>
> As Art already pointed out, SSI isn't taxable and never goes on
> anybody's return. Since the parents are evidently required to file, I
> suspect that we're talking about Social Security Disability Income
> (SSDI), which may be taxable.
>
> If the child is receiving SSDI the parents cannot include the child's
> income on their return. The child must file a return, including the
> child's SSDI, if the child is required to file. See the filing
> requirements for dependents in the 1040 instructions.
>
> Phil Marti
> VITA/TCE Volunteer


My esteemed colleagues, Art & Phil, have it almost right.

SSI IS Social Security Income. As such it would get reported on the
recipient's tax returns NOT the parent's returns. Like ALL OTHER SSA income
it is only taxable when OTHER income exceeds a certain dollar amount,
otherwise it is NOT taxable and a return is NOT otherwise required. So
you'd only have to report this IF the child had other income and had to file
a return on their own.

If all the other income for the child is investment income and the other
rules apply, the parents can elect to report the child's investment income
on their return. BUT please note - parent's can only elect to report a
child's INVESTMENT income on their return - NOTHING ELSE.

If junior has a paper-route or babysits or works a summer job OR HAS
INVESTMENT SALES reported in their name and SSN they have to file their OWN
return.

Good luck,
Gene E. Utterback, EA, RFC, ABA

--
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>
<< nor can it used, for the purpose of avoiding penalties >>
<< that may be imposed upon the taxpayer. >>
<< >>
<< The Charter and the Guidelines for submitting posts >>
<< to this newsgroup as well as our anti-spamming policy >>
<< are at www.asktax.org. >>
<< Copyright (2007) - All rights reserved. >>
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
 
Reply With Quote
 
Phil Marti
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      04-05-2010, 06:06 PM
On Apr 5, 11:34*am, "Gene E. Utterback, EA, RFC, ABA" wrote:

> My esteemed colleagues, Art & Phil, have it almost right.
>
> SSI IS Social Security Income. *As such it would get reported on the
> recipient's tax returns NOT the parent's returns. *Like ALL OTHER SSA income
> it is only taxable when OTHER income exceeds a certain dollar amount,
> otherwise it is NOT taxable and a return is NOT otherwise required. *


Au contraire, as we say in Kansas.

See page 35 of Pub 525, which specifically excludes SSI from
potentially taxable Social Security benefits. Realizing that IRS pubs
aren't law, let's look at the law. IRC 86 defines Social Security
Benefits as benefits arising under title II of the Social Security
Act. In IRC 51 we have a reference to SSI, which is paid under title
XVI of the Social Security Act.

'Nuff for me to conclude that Pub 525 is right, and SSI is never
included in taxable income or reported on a return.

Phil Marti
VITA/TCE Volunteer

--
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>
<< nor can it used, for the purpose of avoiding penalties >>
<< that may be imposed upon the taxpayer. >>
<< >>
<< The Charter and the Guidelines for submitting posts >>
<< to this newsgroup as well as our anti-spamming policy >>
<< are at www.asktax.org. >>
<< Copyright (2007) - All rights reserved. >>
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
 
Reply With Quote
 
Alan
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      04-06-2010, 12:39 AM
On 4/5/10 12:06 PM, Phil Marti wrote:
> On Apr 5, 11:34 am, "Gene E. Utterback, EA, RFC, ABA" wrote:
>
>> My esteemed colleagues, Art& Phil, have it almost right.
>>
>> SSI IS Social Security Income. As such it would get reported on the
>> recipient's tax returns NOT the parent's returns. Like ALL OTHER SSA income
>> it is only taxable when OTHER income exceeds a certain dollar amount,
>> otherwise it is NOT taxable and a return is NOT otherwise required.

>
> Au contraire, as we say in Kansas.
>
> See page 35 of Pub 525, which specifically excludes SSI from
> potentially taxable Social Security benefits. Realizing that IRS pubs
> aren't law, let's look at the law. IRC 86 defines Social Security
> Benefits as benefits arising under title II of the Social Security
> Act. In IRC 51 we have a reference to SSI, which is paid under title
> XVI of the Social Security Act.
>
> 'Nuff for me to conclude that Pub 525 is right, and SSI is never
> included in taxable income or reported on a return.
>
> Phil Marti
> VITA/TCE Volunteer
>

Hang in there Phil, you got it right.

Also note that many of the clients I see use the term SSI when
they really mean to say SSDI or social security disability. I now
ask anyone who says SSI, what they really mean. SSI is not
reported on the SSA-1099. Another bit of proof that it is not
social security benefits.

--
http://taxtopics.net

--
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>
<< nor can it used, for the purpose of avoiding penalties >>
<< that may be imposed upon the taxpayer. >>
<< >>
<< The Charter and the Guidelines for submitting posts >>
<< to this newsgroup as well as our anti-spamming policy >>
<< are at www.asktax.org. >>
<< Copyright (2007) - All rights reserved. >>
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
 
Reply With Quote
 
Arthur Kamlet
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      04-06-2010, 01:38 AM
In article <hpcvua$l96$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
Gene E. Utterback, EA, RFC, ABA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Phil Marti" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Apr 4, 4:10 pm, "bakern" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Parents elect to report dependant (12 years old) income on their tax
>>> return.
>>> The dependant receives SSI due to parent's disability (also collecting
>>> SSI).

>>
>> As Art already pointed out, SSI isn't taxable and never goes on
>> anybody's return. Since the parents are evidently required to file, I
>> suspect that we're talking about Social Security Disability Income
>> (SSDI), which may be taxable.
>>
>> If the child is receiving SSDI the parents cannot include the child's
>> income on their return. The child must file a return, including the
>> child's SSDI, if the child is required to file. See the filing
>> requirements for dependents in the 1040 instructions.
>>
>> Phil Marti
>> VITA/TCE Volunteer

>
>My esteemed colleagues, Art & Phil, have it almost right.
>
>SSI IS Social Security Income. As such it would get reported on the



Ah, I see where you were misled. SSI is Supplemental Security Income.
That's never taxable.
--

ArtKamlet at a o l dot c o m Columbus OH K2PZH

--
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>
<< nor can it used, for the purpose of avoiding penalties >>
<< that may be imposed upon the taxpayer. >>
<< >>
<< The Charter and the Guidelines for submitting posts >>
<< to this newsgroup as well as our anti-spamming policy >>
<< are at www.asktax.org. >>
<< Copyright (2007) - All rights reserved. >>
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gene E. Utterback, EA, RFC, ABA
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      04-06-2010, 03:24 PM
"Phil Marti" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Apr 5, 11:34 am, "Gene E. Utterback, EA, RFC, ABA" wrote:
>
>> My esteemed colleagues, Art & Phil, have it almost right.
>>
>> SSI IS Social Security Income. As such it would get reported on the
>> recipient's tax returns NOT the parent's returns. Like ALL OTHER SSA
>> income
>> it is only taxable when OTHER income exceeds a certain dollar amount,
>> otherwise it is NOT taxable and a return is NOT otherwise required.

>
> Au contraire, as we say in Kansas.
>
> See page 35 of Pub 525, which specifically excludes SSI from
> potentially taxable Social Security benefits. Realizing that IRS pubs
> aren't law, let's look at the law. IRC 86 defines Social Security
> Benefits as benefits arising under title II of the Social Security
> Act. In IRC 51 we have a reference to SSI, which is paid under title
> XVI of the Social Security Act.
>
> 'Nuff for me to conclude that Pub 525 is right, and SSI is never
> included in taxable income or reported on a return.
>
> Phil Marti
> VITA/TCE Volunteer


I have been DUPED, TRICKED, I say - flim flammed!! This is outrageous,
unconscionable and other big words that elude me at the moment. That's what
I get for responding off the cuff while making assumptions and
"half-reading" the OP.

I do believe that I may stand corrected (hard to argue with a cite) - my
apologies,
Gene E. Utterback, EA, RFC, ABA

--
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
<< The foregoing was not intended or written to be used, >>
<< nor can it used, for the purpose of avoiding penalties >>
<< that may be imposed upon the taxpayer. >>
<< >>
<< The Charter and the Guidelines for submitting posts >>
<< to this newsgroup as well as our anti-spamming policy >>
<< are at www.asktax.org. >>
<< Copyright (2007) - All rights reserved. >>
<< ------------------------------------------------------- >>
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For SSI purposes what are "earnings" Steve M Tax 3 09-24-2008 11:22 PM
Live-in Mother on SSI... dependant? IMAFriend Tax 6 03-08-2008 03:50 PM
SSI for Dependent Jay Tax 2 03-20-2006 07:44 AM
Is SSI for a Surviving Child Taxable? Dan and Margaret MacLerran Tax 4 01-27-2005 05:17 PM
someone else claiming a child that gets SSI but is not his benefinary.. jari45 US Taxes 1 12-14-2004 03:15 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:54 PM.
Posts in this forum do not constitute the advice of AccountantForums.com or its members. Financial advice should always be taken from qualified advisors before committing to a financial decision.