Accountant Forums


Reply
Thread Tools

Swaping Payee and Memo field in QIF File

 
 
Charles
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      01-06-2004, 07:08 PM
Hello,

The bank that I have my checking account at lets me download
transactions in QIF File format. However, the text in the Memo field
would be better in the Payee field.

Is there something in Quicken 04 or another tool else where that would
let me swap the text in the memo field to the payee field?

Thanks,
Charles
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jeffrey Harris
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      01-07-2004, 05:47 AM
QIF files are plain text. If you open the file up with your favorite text
editor you can edit the change yourself. If you search this quicken
newsgroup (using groups.google.com) there are posts detailing the QIF
format.

Jeff

"Charles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello,
>
> The bank that I have my checking account at lets me download
> transactions in QIF File format. However, the text in the Memo field
> would be better in the Payee field.
>
> Is there something in Quicken 04 or another tool else where that would
> let me swap the text in the memo field to the payee field?
>
> Thanks,
> Charles



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Charles
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      01-07-2004, 02:12 PM
Thank you for your reply and time!

However, it did not help much. I know that it is a text file and that
I can edit the file myself. Do you know how many transactions I could
have in a week? Why would I want to spend the time to edit the file
myself? It's a checking account which means I use checks, debt cards,
and EFTs on that account. I do not use cash, much anymore.

Again, the question. Is there a tool or anything out there that I
could use to swap two fields (or more) in a QIF File?

Thanks again,
Charles

"Jeffrey Harris" <(E-Mail Removed)(dot)com> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> QIF files are plain text. If you open the file up with your favorite text
> editor you can edit the change yourself. If you search this quicken
> newsgroup (using groups.google.com) there are posts detailing the QIF
> format.
>
> Jeff
>
> "Charles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hello,
> >
> > The bank that I have my checking account at lets me download
> > transactions in QIF File format. However, the text in the Memo field
> > would be better in the Payee field.
> >
> > Is there something in Quicken 04 or another tool else where that would
> > let me swap the text in the memo field to the payee field?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Charles

 
Reply With Quote
 
John Cordes
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      01-07-2004, 02:31 PM
Charles <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thank you for your reply and time!
>
> However, it did not help much. I know that it is a text file and that
> I can edit the file myself. Do you know how many transactions I could
> have in a week? Why would I want to spend the time to edit the file
> myself? It's a checking account which means I use checks, debt cards,
> and EFTs on that account. I do not use cash, much anymore.
>
> Again, the question. Is there a tool or anything out there that I
> could use to swap two fields (or more) in a QIF File?
>
> Thanks again,
> Charles
>
> "Jeffrey Harris" <(E-Mail Removed)(dot)com> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>> QIF files are plain text. If you open the file up with your favorite text
>> editor you can edit the change yourself. If you search this quicken
>> newsgroup (using groups.google.com) there are posts detailing the QIF
>> format.
>>
>> Jeff
>>
>> "Charles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > The bank that I have my checking account at lets me download
>> > transactions in QIF File format. However, the text in the Memo field
>> > would be better in the Payee field.
>> >
>> > Is there something in Quicken 04 or another tool else where that would
>> > let me swap the text in the memo field to the payee field?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Charles


(reverting to bottom posting)

I don't suppose you have a *nix box available to you? I think
such a swap would be rather trivial with Unix / Linux tools (just
interchanging the leading M and P at the beginning of a pair of lines
in each transaction group in the QIF file). On a windows machine you
could also use cygwin to do this. (I'm speculating to some extent,
since I haven't actually implemented either of these suggestions
myself.)

Yet another solution would be to import the QIF into Excel using
xl2qif as discussed here recently, swap columns, and export a new QIF.

I'm guessing these suggestions aren't quite what you're looking for
(not very automated, are they?), but it's all I can come up with off
the top of my head.

--
John Cordes
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why is memo field automatically filled in with account field ted@shapin.org Quickbooks 2 08-17-2005 11:16 PM
XG 2005: Scotiabank Payee names appear in Memo field on electronic download Top Secret Quicken 1 08-22-2004 01:46 AM
Exported payee info appearing in memo field? Delia Microsoft Money 2 08-02-2004 11:28 PM
Payee Matching using Memo Field? pete Microsoft Money 1 07-08-2004 08:16 AM
Payee & Memo Reversed on Downloaded QIF Jeff Microsoft Money 3 11-11-2003 05:01 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:21 AM.
Posts in this forum do not constitute the advice of AccountantForums.com or its members. Financial advice should always be taken from qualified advisors before committing to a financial decision.