USA Barter Account Closed - How to Zero Out Loss of Trade Dollars

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I'm currently using GnuCash to record my business transactions. I don't know how to record the following scenario.

I voluntarily closed my account with a barter exchange. By closing that account, I forfeited the $200 in trade dollars I had left because there was nothing on the barter network worth purchasing. Of course, the barter exchange isn't required to pay me in cash for those trade dollars so I now have a loss of $200 that I recorded as revenue earlier in the year for services rendered in the form of trade (barter) dollars.

How do I zero out what was once a current asset that had $200? I've seen plenty of posts for fixed assets, but not currency.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

smallbushelp

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Think about how you would post the sale of a fixed asset. If you experienced a loss, you would credit the asset account and debit an "other income/loss" account like "loss on barter exchange." Or you could debit the revenue account used earlier.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you. I didn't realize I could create a "Barter Exchange Loss" account. I've learned a lot and keep doing so. Thank you.

smallbushelp

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You're welcome. If I was helpful, I would appreciate a "Like."

Ask a Question