UK CIS Tax on Retention

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning

I would if anyone can help me

I have a client that was invoicing a building company and having construction industry scheme(CIS) tax deducted on the labour element of each invoice as they went along. The point is he had a retention payment held back for 12 months and when he requested the payment after 12 months they also stopped him CIS tax on that payment - 100% of the retention due incidentally they have only paid 75% of the retention and are refusing to pay the other 25%)- they are now saying that they did not believe that when he was doing the job for them he admitted to the correct amount of labour(in other words he claimed too much on materials) and they are now requesting the whole of his invoices for this job to look at before they pay - they never queried his invoices when they were submitted each month whilst he was doing the job - only now when he has requested the retention. They also say they are being investigated by the Inland Revenue

Can any one advise me if they can a) stop CIS tax on retention and B0 expect him to show them his costs of materials as surely they are notheing to do with this building company as he put a set price in for the job and has his own mark up on materials

I look forward to hearing any advice from you

Thank you

Ask a Question