USA Corporate vs. Public Accounting & How to Get There? Help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Everyone!

I'm looking for some career advice.

Presently, I am working as controller for a very small company and I will be graduating in May with my undergrad in accounting and a minor in forensic accounting. The job I am in presently is my first accounting job and I will have been with the company about 8 months by the time I graduate. I plan to go to grad school to get an MBA, and I also plan to get my CPA license.

I really love the work I do because I have a ton of autonomy as the only controller and I've really developed a taste for corporate accounting. I plan to stay where I am until I complete my MBA, BUT like many other recent grads, I'm concerned about meeting my experience requirement. My only manager is a CPA, but he is licensed in a different country. What is the likelihood that I can appeal to the board to accept this experience for my licensure? Should I try to get a different job?

This leads me to my follow-up question: Even if I could get this job to count toward my CPA licensure, would it still be hard to get another corporate job if I have no public accounting experience? Do most corporate jobs require or favor accountants with public accounting experience? I really love corporate accounting thus far, and I honestly have no desire to work for one of the big 4, but, let's be real, is it possible to make a name for myself if I don't?

The ideal end result would be: MBA, CPA licensure, and a job in corporate accounting. What's the most efficient way to make it happen?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was 30 when I decided to pass the CPA exam after six years in the accounting commercial banking. I already had my MBA. My wife worked in HR told me that having the license showed that I met a very high hurdle and the letter "CPA" would open more doors later in my career. So, I passed the test and worked for Deloitte for 28 months (just long enough to fulfill the work experience) and I moved back into the corporate world. Looking back, my wife's advice was good for me.

Ask a Question