UK Deadline for submitting account to HMRC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My accountant says i need to give him our bookkeeping figures in January /February 2016 following our year end of September 30th 2015 so they can submit to HMRC, and of course they want paying at that point, which I think just suites them.

We do all book keeping records, the VAT returns in house, and we are always near enough correct. They check it, tabulate it ready for submission at the end of January 2017. As they only check and tweak our figures & correct some tax issues if we make small mistakes, we know what is happening in the business so the information is not an issue. So far if anything we pay a bit too much tax so we are never upsetting the tax man which we then compensate for on the return.

Is this true or are they looking to do the work and charge us at their quiet and more convenient time, I do not see any benefit on a business knowledge level for having the accounts done early. Am I wrong to have them done later in the year when it suites me.

Thank you if you reply

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From their prospective, the sooner the better and of course they'll want to try and get figures in during their quieter periods so as to alleviate the mad rush, if they can. And you can't really blame them for that.

But.... they work for you, so should be getting your figures when it suits you to be sending them (obviously you can't be sending them at the last minute or anything though).

Ask a Question