USA Free Training credits

Which is the correct accounting, Adjustment to Training or Product revenue?

• Product Revenue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Training Revenue

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello... my organization has recently changed its accounting method for Free Training credits. These credits are earned through booking/purchase thresholds for certain customers. Previously we adjusted Training revenue. New management believes it should be a true-up of additions/usage between deferred and PRODUCT revenue. These credits can then be used toward free training within the specified period. Which is the correct accounting?

Thanks!!

smallbushelp

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Not sure if you still need input on this issue, but here's my 3 cents worth for future viewers. Your question is unclear but I think that the new management needs to rethink their position. It sounds like you are accruing credits or "points" when a customer is purchasing certain products. Then when the customer has accrued enough points, you give them a discount (perhaps 100%) on the cost of training services. How do you record that transaction?

If that is the case, then it is a reduction of training revenue not product revenue.

Ask a Question