USA Help with my next decision!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Forum members,

Here is the story,

I have a BA in film production and for eight years, I worked my way up from Accounting Clerk to Production Accountant on film and television productions and my skills and knowledge led to working in advertising agencies and digital media companies. I can handle many of the administrative aspects of the accounting process including accounts payable, receivable, and some month end close (accruals, bank reconciliations, etc). I completed Financial Accounting 1 & 2 courses to supplement the accounting knowledge I learned on the job. In the last three years, I decided to explore other interests and had great opportunities however I would like to return to accounting/bookkeeping because I utilize my organizational skills the best in this area.

Here is the problem,
I've been applying to different accounts payable, finance coordinator, and bookkeeper positions for the last several months to no avail. Also a lot of these basic entry level jobs want BS in Accounting or Finance. Since this is the case, I am pursuing a certification in bookkeeping with the American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers for now but know I will need an advanced/additional degree.

What should I get with my experience? I would just pursue a second bachelor's but would a MBA in Accounting be more beneficial? I don't plan to become a CPA but just work in a company as an accountant. Also what would be your advice to gain employment with just my experience and no accounting degree at the moment?

What are your thoughts? Thank you in advance.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Go to a college which offers both a second bachelor's and an MBA. Ask which one you can complete in the fastest time.I would go with the fastest one. If people want a degree I am not sure the bookkeeping certificate is going to cut it. Also some job markets (like Southern Calif) have a low supply of temp acctg help right this moment so be open to relocation, if possible.

Ask a Question