USA Houston vs Chicago

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all,

I am currently interning in Houston for a Big 4 firm, but I might have to transfer to Chicago depending on the future plans of my girlfriend. That is if I get the full-time offer, fingers crossed! They don't mind if I transfer, I don't either being that I lived there for 12 years of my life (i'm now 22, I lived there from age 3-15), but I am not sure if I should follow my girlfriend (honestly soon to be fiance) or convince her that she should stay in Houston.

I understand they are both great for accounting professionals, and that Houston has many energy companies headquartered here, but what does Chicago have to offer? I wasn't well versed in business when I lived there, but I was hoping one of y'all would know which clients the Big 4 work for. Are there as many opportunities there to advance my career? Or is my best bet to advance in Houston. Also, is Chicago's economy doing well?

Also, how is the economy of Illinois going to fare in the future? I know it is a liberal state, and Texas is traditionally conservative, but I don't want to get there and everything hit the fan. I feel like Texas is doing better compared to Illinois, but I hope you would know better!

Any help is greatly appreciated. I welcome all the insight you have! Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Congrats on the interview with the big firm. I wouldn't sacrifice that opportunity to chase a woman though.To be honest, I would never make a career move while my significant other is in limbo.The 2 of you are not married and I hope there are no children involved.

You are correct about Houston and the economy there. But moving to Chicago will definitely place limitations on jobs. The unemployment rate in Chicago is extremely high, where as Houston is thriving in certain career fields.

A Fiance or marriage places financial hardship and responsibilities on both you and your gf right now. She doesn't know for sure if she's moving to Chi town, but the 2 of you are very young and trying to get established. You face struggling financially and potentially making your lives miserable if you follow her there. Beyond that, you're young. Live and enjoy life. You will go through several changes between the age of 22-25 and 26-30. I think moving with her to Chicago is a bad decision for you, but great for her.

I think you guys should stay in TX and get established first. It just makes no sense any other way. Why set yourselves up for failure when you are on the high road to success?

Ask a Question