USA How do I get out! (Of the same type cast)

Do I go to school and work? Or do I stay at job and maybe my career will grow?

• School

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stay at job

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Reaction score
Country
United States
I graduated from Niagara University in accounting. I have had my first job as an payment processor (A/R), my 2nd was an accounts payable but only for two months then I was promoted to Accounting Manager. This job was a 30 plus entity owning 300-500 apartment units per property. I was laid off. I now have a job at a non-Profit as their buffalo branch account. Our company gives out grants for low income people, we have low interest loans for people who need to fix their house. A lot of the people are just trying to make it by and everyone at that organization doesn't go there for the paycheck because it isn't nice but it makes up for the gratitude they get from helping others. This is on the Westwood of buffalo to make that part more appealing and personally the only good I see on working here is that it makes you feel you have made a difference that I I can relate becaus my family with hardship when I was littler also, after 10 years my students payments are paid off and they are forgiven. I am stuck because I feel like I am stuck In the same job title and I want to move up. I don't know what do you? I try learning new things but it seems like positions are not there to open up for me. I was wondering if I should put myself out on the market and was wondering what specific work I should lean towards with my back ground with previous jobs. How can I transition over into another accounting field like for example (tax, auditing, mortgage? I was thinking about going back to get my graduate degree because it seems like the next pay grade for me would be CPA level. I feel with my back ground that doing accounting in mortgages, property, reaped ate) would be a good fit for me? I am at a cross roads...I am 31 with no kids and and ex. I feel like if I want the dream I have always have the I should react. Please write back and need some direction. I feel like at my age I should have this figured out by now. I want a long term Job and to save for retirement....thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you want to move into another area of accounting such as tax, auditing, etc., I recommend a 3 step process. Step 1 is to determine which area(s) of accounting you would most like to move into, and step 2 is to get an education in that (those) areas (self study, online courses, college classes - step 1 will help you know which educational path to take), and step 3, of course, is to seek employment in that/those area(s).

Step 1: Talk with other accounting professionals in various areas of expertise/specialization. It is vitally important to talk in person, when reasonably possible; social media, forums, and phone conversations are important supplemental avenues of building relationships but do not replace in-person relationship building. A very important question to ask each of these individuals with whom you speak is for a recommendation to someone else that they respect and believe would be good for you to meet. Don't settle for talking with only 2 or 3 people, even if you've gotten enough info to decide which way you want to go; instead, take the initiative and time to meet with at least 6-10 people before beginning a class. Extremely Important: Be Genuinely Grateful for Each Person's Time & Input.

Step 2: Study; complete the course of study that you discovered you need, AND express your gratitude to each person you spoke with in step 1 by updating them as you start studying (what you decided to do after getting their input), and in the middle of your course (how it's going), and of course, as you finish the course.

Step 3: Seek employment. The starting point for this step was actually set up for you in the process of step 1; these people and their companies are now your first line of potential employment in the area you chose.

Proverbs 15:22 (ESV) "Without counsel plans fail, but with many advisers they succeed."

Ask a Question