USA How should I change my profession to accounting?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I've been working as an IT professional for about 5 years. I live in Florida. I have a Bachelor in Engineering and Master in Computer Science. However, I just don't find sense of fulfillment in software development. I took some career counseling tests online and talked to some people, I found my personality suits the accounting profession. I took some introductory online course on Coursea.org on accounting and I found I really enjoyed all the contents and comfortable with all the concepts. So now I plan about changing my career to Accounting.

Some people told me that in US in order to land an accounting job, I'll need to at least obtain a Bachelor degree in Accounting to begin with. However, I have already a bachelor and master degree. Do I still need to get another bachelor degree (even though it's totally unrelated to my degrees)? What about Master of Accounting? or even MBA in Accounting?

Please give me some good advice on what you think.

Thank you very much!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry TriumphKai, you will need to obtain a bachelors or Masters in Accounting. You cannot use a degree such as IT or engineering. They are not even related fields, nor do you have any of the REQUIRED accounting classes needed to compete.

That being said, why on earth would you do that? Considering you have already been to college for 2 degrees and accountant jobs are hard to find, I just can't fathom it. You can start a business without college and since you know you already like accounting, why not start a business in accounting of financials? Why would you continue to pay Uncle Sam any more money than you have to? We are not teaching accountants how they should be owning a business for not only for tax reduction, but also for the financial freedoms it offers. All business do not have high cost or require a business loan to get started. I can help you get started if you are serious.Good luck to you!

Ask a Question