USA How to tell if a Corporation is a S or C Corporation?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, so I've decided I'm going to do the taxes for my family's corporation for 2016 since one of the members is too old to do the book-keeping and I have a ton of free time. The corporation in question is either an S or C Corporation, the most knowledgeable one thinks it's an S (and she's probably right), but I don't want to screw this up at all, and if there was anyway that i can find out myself by looking at previous tax returns, bank statements, ect. When i look at the IRS website, it doesn't give any clear indications of the difference in the kinds of forms they have to file. Plus, the CPA who normally does this hasn't been wonderfully communicative with me and I don't want to ask.

Thanks

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You should have a copy of last year's tax return. Look at the form number. If it is 1120 - they filed as a C corp. If it is 1120-S they filed as an S corp.

Ask a Question