I forgot to sign on

Discussion in 'UK Tax Credits and Benefits' started by Cosmic Horizon, Jun 5, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I neglected to sign on Thursday which is my signing on day, thinking that I
    was supposed to sign on next week. Only just realised tonight (Friday).
    Obviously I 'll go in Monday. Basically I assume I will lose 2 days money?
    Or will it be 4 days??

    Is there anything I can do whatsoever which will prevent me losing any
    money? What about saying I was too ill to even go to the phone to ring up
    to inform of my illness?? I'm pretty well resigned to losing 2 days money
    (if not 4 days!), but if anyone can give me any advice as to how I might
    prevent this I will be extremely grateful.

    Thanks.
     
    Cosmic Horizon, Jun 5, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Cosmic Horizon

    Mike Guest

    Cosmic Horizon wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I neglected to sign on Thursday which is my signing on day, thinking that I
    > was supposed to sign on next week. Only just realised tonight (Friday).
    > Obviously I 'll go in Monday. Basically I assume I will lose 2 days money?
    > Or will it be 4 days??
    >
    > Is there anything I can do whatsoever which will prevent me losing any
    > money? What about saying I was too ill to even go to the phone to ring up
    > to inform of my illness?? I'm pretty well resigned to losing 2 days money
    > (if not 4 days!), but if anyone can give me any advice as to how I might
    > prevent this I will be extremely grateful.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >


    No one will believe you were too ill to contact the jobcentre for two
    days without medical evidence.

    Prevention IS the best solution, remember to sign on! Get a diary,
    callendar or even an organiser for the PC (plenty of basic ones
    available as freeware) to remind you. Even easier, write on a piece of
    paper your next signing date and stick it to the fridge/front
    door/playstation.


    Mike
     
    Mike, Jun 5, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. "Mike" <> wrote in message
    news:srgwc.17$ku.10@newsfe2-win...
    >
    >
    > Cosmic Horizon wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I neglected to sign on Thursday which is my signing on day, thinking

    that I
    > > was supposed to sign on next week. Only just realised tonight (Friday).
    > > Obviously I 'll go in Monday. Basically I assume I will lose 2 days

    money?
    > > Or will it be 4 days??
    > >
    > > Is there anything I can do whatsoever which will prevent me losing any
    > > money? What about saying I was too ill to even go to the phone to ring

    up
    > > to inform of my illness?? I'm pretty well resigned to losing 2 days

    money
    > > (if not 4 days!), but if anyone can give me any advice as to how I might
    > > prevent this I will be extremely grateful.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >

    >
    > No one will believe you were too ill to contact the jobcentre for two
    > days without medical evidence.
    >
    > Prevention IS the best solution, remember to sign on! Get a diary,
    > callendar or even an organiser for the PC (plenty of basic ones
    > available as freeware) to remind you. Even easier, write on a piece of
    > paper your next signing date and stick it to the fridge/front
    > door/playstation.
    >
    >
    > Mike
    >

    It doesn't matter whether they believe me, it's whether it's an acceptable
    excuse ;-). If I'm too ill to get out of bed then I wouldn't be able to
    contact them, especially if my phone has been cut off through not paying the
    bill.

    I didn't actually forget as such, I just thought my signing on date was the
    following week rather than this week. But last night when I got money out
    of the cash machine I realised I should have signed on this week LOL It's
    this new deal business which is confusing me. You see I don't just go there
    one week and not the next. It's much more haphazard than that :-(
     
    Cosmic Horizon, Jun 5, 2004
    #3
  4. Cosmic Horizon

    Mike Guest


    >>Cosmic Horizon wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I neglected to sign on Thursday which is my signing on day, thinking

    >
    > that I
    >
    >>>was supposed to sign on next week. Only just realised tonight (Friday).
    >>>Obviously I 'll go in Monday. Basically I assume I will lose 2 days

    >
    > money?
    >
    >>>Or will it be 4 days??
    >>>
    >>>Is there anything I can do whatsoever which will prevent me losing any
    >>>money? What about saying I was too ill to even go to the phone to ring

    >
    > up
    >
    >>>to inform of my illness?? I'm pretty well resigned to losing 2 days

    >
    > money
    >
    >>>(if not 4 days!), but if anyone can give me any advice as to how I might
    >>>prevent this I will be extremely grateful.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks.
    >>>

    >>
    >>No one will believe you were too ill to contact the jobcentre for two
    >>days without medical evidence.
    >>
    >>Prevention IS the best solution, remember to sign on! Get a diary,
    >>callendar or even an organiser for the PC (plenty of basic ones
    >>available as freeware) to remind you. Even easier, write on a piece of
    >>paper your next signing date and stick it to the fridge/front
    >>door/playstation.
    >>
    >>
    >>Mike
    >>

    >
    > It doesn't matter whether they believe me, it's whether it's an acceptable
    > excuse ;-). If I'm too ill to get out of bed then I wouldn't be able to
    > contact them, especially if my phone has been cut off through not paying the
    > bill.


    Believing that you were to ill does matter, if the Decision Maker
    doesn't believe you then your lie (lets not dress it up) won't be
    accepted. A lot of people who sign on forget to sign, every excuse
    under the sun has been tried and the JCP be asking questions and for
    evidence. The DM will decide if your late signing is accepted on
    balance of probabilities and not absolute proof one way or the other,
    repeating the mistake dramatically reduces your chances of being believed.

    Out of curiosity has your phone been disconnected?

    > I didn't actually forget as such, I just thought my signing on date was the
    > following week rather than this week.


    That sounds like you forgot to me! Write your next signing date down
    and stick it on your fridge or set a reminder on your mobile.

    Mike
     
    Mike, Jun 5, 2004
    #4
  5. "Mike" <> wrote in message
    news:iPlwc.96$...
    >
    >
    > >>Cosmic Horizon wrote:
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>>Hi,
    > >>>
    > >>>I neglected to sign on Thursday which is my signing on day, thinking

    > >
    > > that I
    > >
    > >>>was supposed to sign on next week. Only just realised tonight

    (Friday).
    > >>>Obviously I 'll go in Monday. Basically I assume I will lose 2 days

    > >
    > > money?
    > >
    > >>>Or will it be 4 days??
    > >>>
    > >>>Is there anything I can do whatsoever which will prevent me losing any
    > >>>money? What about saying I was too ill to even go to the phone to ring

    > >
    > > up
    > >
    > >>>to inform of my illness?? I'm pretty well resigned to losing 2 days

    > >
    > > money
    > >
    > >>>(if not 4 days!), but if anyone can give me any advice as to how I

    might
    > >>>prevent this I will be extremely grateful.
    > >>>
    > >>>Thanks.
    > >>>
    > >>
    > >>No one will believe you were too ill to contact the jobcentre for two
    > >>days without medical evidence.
    > >>
    > >>Prevention IS the best solution, remember to sign on! Get a diary,
    > >>callendar or even an organiser for the PC (plenty of basic ones
    > >>available as freeware) to remind you. Even easier, write on a piece of
    > >>paper your next signing date and stick it to the fridge/front
    > >>door/playstation.
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>Mike
    > >>

    > >
    > > It doesn't matter whether they believe me, it's whether it's an

    acceptable
    > > excuse ;-). If I'm too ill to get out of bed then I wouldn't be able to
    > > contact them, especially if my phone has been cut off through not paying

    the
    > > bill.

    >
    > Believing that you were to ill does matter, if the Decision Maker
    > doesn't believe you then your lie (lets not dress it up) won't be
    > accepted. A lot of people who sign on forget to sign, every excuse
    > under the sun has been tried and the JCP be asking questions and for
    > evidence. The DM will decide if your late signing is accepted on
    > balance of probabilities and not absolute proof one way or the other,
    > repeating the mistake dramatically reduces your chances of being believed.
    >
    > Out of curiosity has your phone been disconnected?
    >
    > > I didn't actually forget as such, I just thought my signing on date was

    the
    > > following week rather than this week.

    >
    > That sounds like you forgot to me! Write your next signing date down
    > and stick it on your fridge or set a reminder on your mobile.
    >
    > Mike
    >


    OK, I didn't think I'd be able to do anything about it. If they calculate
    on the balance of probabilitities I have zero chance. But I thought I'd just
    ask in here.

    Right, so I might as well just say I got the signing weeks mixed up? I'll
    only lose 2 days money won't I? Not 4 cos I can't go in today or tomorrow.

    No my phone has not been disconnected. But it was recently when I owed
    £1.85!
     
    Cosmic Horizon, Jun 5, 2004
    #5
  6. Cosmic Horizon

    Tomato Guest

    Tell them you have "amnesia" its a recognised medical condition which means
    you suffer from memory loss, how much memory loss is not known but it was
    enough for you to forget to sign on, any doctor will verify this for you.
    You can get a self certificate form from the DSS to cover your period of
    illness less than 7 days, if the illness lasts more than 7 days then you
    need a doctors cert to cover you.


    "Cosmic Horizon" <> wrote in message
    news:yVlwc.104$...
    >
    > "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > news:iPlwc.96$...
    > >
    > >
    > > >>Cosmic Horizon wrote:
    > > >>
    > > >>
    > > >>>Hi,
    > > >>>
    > > >>>I neglected to sign on Thursday which is my signing on day, thinking
    > > >
    > > > that I
    > > >
    > > >>>was supposed to sign on next week. Only just realised tonight

    > (Friday).
    > > >>>Obviously I 'll go in Monday. Basically I assume I will lose 2 days
    > > >
    > > > money?
    > > >
    > > >>>Or will it be 4 days??
    > > >>>
    > > >>>Is there anything I can do whatsoever which will prevent me losing

    any
    > > >>>money? What about saying I was too ill to even go to the phone to

    ring
    > > >
    > > > up
    > > >
    > > >>>to inform of my illness?? I'm pretty well resigned to losing 2 days
    > > >
    > > > money
    > > >
    > > >>>(if not 4 days!), but if anyone can give me any advice as to how I

    > might
    > > >>>prevent this I will be extremely grateful.
    > > >>>
    > > >>>Thanks.
    > > >>>
    > > >>
    > > >>No one will believe you were too ill to contact the jobcentre for two
    > > >>days without medical evidence.
    > > >>
    > > >>Prevention IS the best solution, remember to sign on! Get a diary,
    > > >>callendar or even an organiser for the PC (plenty of basic ones
    > > >>available as freeware) to remind you. Even easier, write on a piece

    of
    > > >>paper your next signing date and stick it to the fridge/front
    > > >>door/playstation.
    > > >>
    > > >>
    > > >>Mike
    > > >>
    > > >
    > > > It doesn't matter whether they believe me, it's whether it's an

    > acceptable
    > > > excuse ;-). If I'm too ill to get out of bed then I wouldn't be able

    to
    > > > contact them, especially if my phone has been cut off through not

    paying
    > the
    > > > bill.

    > >
    > > Believing that you were to ill does matter, if the Decision Maker
    > > doesn't believe you then your lie (lets not dress it up) won't be
    > > accepted. A lot of people who sign on forget to sign, every excuse
    > > under the sun has been tried and the JCP be asking questions and for
    > > evidence. The DM will decide if your late signing is accepted on
    > > balance of probabilities and not absolute proof one way or the other,
    > > repeating the mistake dramatically reduces your chances of being

    believed.
    > >
    > > Out of curiosity has your phone been disconnected?
    > >
    > > > I didn't actually forget as such, I just thought my signing on date

    was
    > the
    > > > following week rather than this week.

    > >
    > > That sounds like you forgot to me! Write your next signing date down
    > > and stick it on your fridge or set a reminder on your mobile.
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >

    >
    > OK, I didn't think I'd be able to do anything about it. If they calculate
    > on the balance of probabilitities I have zero chance. But I thought I'd

    just
    > ask in here.
    >
    > Right, so I might as well just say I got the signing weeks mixed up? I'll
    > only lose 2 days money won't I? Not 4 cos I can't go in today or

    tomorrow.
    >
    > No my phone has not been disconnected. But it was recently when I owed
    > £1.85!
    >
    >
     
    Tomato, Jun 5, 2004
    #6
  7. "Tomato" <> wrote in message
    news:SOswc.826$0W2.65@newsfe1-win...
    > Tell them you have "amnesia" its a recognised medical condition which

    means
    > you suffer from memory loss, how much memory loss is not known but it was
    > enough for you to forget to sign on, any doctor will verify this for you.
    > You can get a self certificate form from the DSS to cover your period of
    > illness less than 7 days, if the illness lasts more than 7 days then you
    > need a doctors cert to cover you.
    >


    Yep - good idea this. It will create a doubt about your job readiness and
    your advisor will give you (even more) hassle for the rest of the time your
    on new deal, especially if you ever have a genuine illness in the next
    year - you'll suddenly find yourself in the position where you're too sick
    to claim JSA but not sick enough to claim Incapacity benefit.

    Don
    --
    The Vulcan neck pinch isn't nearly as powerful as the Vulcan groin kick,
    but it is more politically correct!!
     
    Donald McCaskey, Jun 6, 2004
    #7
  8. Cosmic Horizon

    anthonyberet Guest

    In Usenet post: 4qbwc.1241$,
    Cosmic Horizon went on and on and on:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I neglected to sign on Thursday which is my signing on day, thinking
    > that I was supposed to sign on next week. Only just realised tonight
    > (Friday). Obviously I 'll go in Monday. Basically I assume I will
    > lose 2 days money? Or will it be 4 days??
    >
    > Is there anything I can do whatsoever which will prevent me losing any
    > money? What about saying I was too ill to even go to the phone to
    > ring up to inform of my illness?? I'm pretty well resigned to losing
    > 2 days money (if not 4 days!), but if anyone can give me any advice
    > as to how I might prevent this I will be extremely grateful.
    >

    No, you wont lose any money if they accept your signing late - you have up
    to one week before your claim is cancelled.
    Just tell them were ill and this contributed to your forgetting, and say you
    don't mind if they record the fact in case you do it again in future. Say
    that you will mark all your future signing dates on a calandar and new deal
    stuff wont confuse you in future.
     
    anthonyberet, Jun 6, 2004
    #8
  9. Cosmic Horizon

    Mike Guest

    Tomato wrote:
    > Tell them you have "amnesia" its a recognised medical condition which means
    > you suffer from memory loss, how much memory loss is not known but it was
    > enough for you to forget to sign on, any doctor will verify this for you.
    > You can get a self certificate form from the DSS to cover your period of
    > illness less than 7 days, if the illness lasts more than 7 days then you
    > need a doctors cert to cover you.
    >
    >


    I'm sure this has never been thought of before.

    Damn, sarcasm mode has stopped working.

    Mike
     
    Mike, Jun 6, 2004
    #9
  10. Cosmic Horizon

    Mike Guest

    anthonyberet wrote:

    > In Usenet post: 4qbwc.1241$,
    > Cosmic Horizon went on and on and on:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I neglected to sign on Thursday which is my signing on day, thinking
    >>that I was supposed to sign on next week. Only just realised tonight
    >>(Friday). Obviously I 'll go in Monday. Basically I assume I will
    >>lose 2 days money? Or will it be 4 days??
    >>
    >>Is there anything I can do whatsoever which will prevent me losing any
    >>money? What about saying I was too ill to even go to the phone to
    >>ring up to inform of my illness?? I'm pretty well resigned to losing
    >>2 days money (if not 4 days!), but if anyone can give me any advice
    >>as to how I might prevent this I will be extremely grateful.
    >>

    >
    > No, you wont lose any money if they accept your signing late - you have up
    > to one week before your claim is cancelled.
    > Just tell them were ill and this contributed to your forgetting, and say you
    > don't mind if they record the fact in case you do it again in future. Say
    > that you will mark all your future signing dates on a calandar and new deal
    > stuff wont confuse you in future.
    >


    Telling the truth, a novel approach.

    Mike
     
    Mike, Jun 6, 2004
    #10
  11. Cosmic Horizon

    Big Bill Guest

    On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 15:46:00 +0100, "Cosmic Horizon"
    <> wrote:

    >
    >"Mike" <> wrote in message
    >news:iPlwc.96$...
    >>
    >>
    >> >>Cosmic Horizon wrote:
    >> >>
    >> >>
    >> >>>Hi,
    >> >>>
    >> >>>I neglected to sign on Thursday which is my signing on day, thinking
    >> >
    >> > that I
    >> >
    >> >>>was supposed to sign on next week. Only just realised tonight

    >(Friday).
    >> >>>Obviously I 'll go in Monday. Basically I assume I will lose 2 days
    >> >
    >> > money?
    >> >
    >> >>>Or will it be 4 days??
    >> >>>
    >> >>>Is there anything I can do whatsoever which will prevent me losing any
    >> >>>money? What about saying I was too ill to even go to the phone to ring
    >> >
    >> > up
    >> >
    >> >>>to inform of my illness?? I'm pretty well resigned to losing 2 days
    >> >
    >> > money
    >> >
    >> >>>(if not 4 days!), but if anyone can give me any advice as to how I

    >might
    >> >>>prevent this I will be extremely grateful.
    >> >>>
    >> >>>Thanks.
    >> >>>
    >> >>
    >> >>No one will believe you were too ill to contact the jobcentre for two
    >> >>days without medical evidence.
    >> >>
    >> >>Prevention IS the best solution, remember to sign on! Get a diary,
    >> >>callendar or even an organiser for the PC (plenty of basic ones
    >> >>available as freeware) to remind you. Even easier, write on a piece of
    >> >>paper your next signing date and stick it to the fridge/front
    >> >>door/playstation.
    >> >>
    >> >>
    >> >>Mike
    >> >>
    >> >
    >> > It doesn't matter whether they believe me, it's whether it's an

    >acceptable
    >> > excuse ;-). If I'm too ill to get out of bed then I wouldn't be able to
    >> > contact them, especially if my phone has been cut off through not paying

    >the
    >> > bill.

    >>
    >> Believing that you were to ill does matter, if the Decision Maker
    >> doesn't believe you then your lie (lets not dress it up) won't be
    >> accepted. A lot of people who sign on forget to sign, every excuse
    >> under the sun has been tried and the JCP be asking questions and for
    >> evidence. The DM will decide if your late signing is accepted on
    >> balance of probabilities and not absolute proof one way or the other,
    >> repeating the mistake dramatically reduces your chances of being believed.
    >>
    >> Out of curiosity has your phone been disconnected?
    >>
    >> > I didn't actually forget as such, I just thought my signing on date was

    >the
    >> > following week rather than this week.

    >>
    >> That sounds like you forgot to me! Write your next signing date down
    >> and stick it on your fridge or set a reminder on your mobile.
    >>
    >> Mike
    >>

    >
    >OK, I didn't think I'd be able to do anything about it. If they calculate
    >on the balance of probabilitities I have zero chance. But I thought I'd just
    >ask in here.
    >
    >Right, so I might as well just say I got the signing weeks mixed up?


    Yes and explain nothing bought it to your attention till the weekend.
    I've gone in, in all innocense, a week late and signed on with no
    problem once we'd sorted out that I was a week late. I've no idea what
    all this Decision Maker business is all about. The girl on the desk
    sorted me out ok.

    BB

    BB

    >I'll
    >only lose 2 days money won't I? Not 4 cos I can't go in today or tomorrow.
    >
    >No my phone has not been disconnected. But it was recently when I owed
    >£1.85!
    >
     
    Big Bill, Jun 6, 2004
    #11
  12. Cosmic Horizon

    Big Bill Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 07:47:54 +0100, Mike
    <> wrote:

    >
    >
    >anthonyberet wrote:
    >
    >> In Usenet post: 4qbwc.1241$,
    >> Cosmic Horizon went on and on and on:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I neglected to sign on Thursday which is my signing on day, thinking
    >>>that I was supposed to sign on next week. Only just realised tonight
    >>>(Friday). Obviously I 'll go in Monday. Basically I assume I will
    >>>lose 2 days money? Or will it be 4 days??
    >>>
    >>>Is there anything I can do whatsoever which will prevent me losing any
    >>>money? What about saying I was too ill to even go to the phone to
    >>>ring up to inform of my illness?? I'm pretty well resigned to losing
    >>>2 days money (if not 4 days!), but if anyone can give me any advice
    >>>as to how I might prevent this I will be extremely grateful.
    >>>

    >>
    >> No, you wont lose any money if they accept your signing late - you have up
    >> to one week before your claim is cancelled.
    >> Just tell them were ill and this contributed to your forgetting, and say you
    >> don't mind if they record the fact in case you do it again in future. Say
    >> that you will mark all your future signing dates on a calandar and new deal
    >> stuff wont confuse you in future.
    >>

    >
    >Telling the truth, a novel approach.
    >
    >Mike


    It worked for me.

    BB
     
    Big Bill, Jun 6, 2004
    #12
  13. "anthonyberet" <> wrote in message
    news:40c28cb6$0$6322$...
    > In Usenet post: 4qbwc.1241$,
    > Cosmic Horizon went on and on and on:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I neglected to sign on Thursday which is my signing on day, thinking
    > > that I was supposed to sign on next week. Only just realised tonight
    > > (Friday). Obviously I 'll go in Monday. Basically I assume I will
    > > lose 2 days money? Or will it be 4 days??
    > >
    > > Is there anything I can do whatsoever which will prevent me losing any
    > > money? What about saying I was too ill to even go to the phone to
    > > ring up to inform of my illness?? I'm pretty well resigned to losing
    > > 2 days money (if not 4 days!), but if anyone can give me any advice
    > > as to how I might prevent this I will be extremely grateful.
    > >

    > No, you wont lose any money if they accept your signing late - you have up
    > to one week before your claim is cancelled.


    That's not strictly true - you do have up to 5 working days to make
    representation before your claim is closed but even if you do make rep
    within those 5 days, you can still be subject to DMA action meaning you
    could lose at least 1 day's benefit.

    > Just tell them were ill and this contributed to your forgetting, and say

    you
    > don't mind if they record the fact in case you do it again in future. Say
    > that you will mark all your future signing dates on a calandar and new

    deal
    > stuff wont confuse you in future.


    Remember that a jobseeker can only have 2 periods of sickness within any
    year - if you then had a genuine illness within the coming year (or another
    memory lapse and tried to pull the same wool over the jobcentre's eyes), you
    could find your entitlement to benefits severely restricted.

    Don
    --
    The Vulcan neck pinch isn't nearly as powerful as the Vulcan groin kick,
    but it is more politically correct!!
     
    Donald McCaskey, Jun 6, 2004
    #13
  14. Cosmic Horizon

    Rob Guest

    Donald McCaskey wrote:

    || Remember that a jobseeker can only have 2 periods of sickness within
    || any year - if you then had a genuine illness within the coming year
    || (or another memory lapse and tried to pull the same wool over the
    || jobcentre's eyes), you could find your entitlement to benefits
    || severely restricted.

    But won't that mean they can just claim incapacity benefit instead?

    --
    Rob
     
    Rob, Jun 6, 2004
    #14
  15. "Donald McCaskey" <> wrote in message
    news:c9ur15$qjt$...
    > "anthonyberet" <> wrote in message
    > news:40c28cb6$0$6322$...
    > > In Usenet post: 4qbwc.1241$,
    > > Cosmic Horizon went on and on and on:
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I neglected to sign on Thursday which is my signing on day, thinking
    > > > that I was supposed to sign on next week. Only just realised tonight
    > > > (Friday). Obviously I 'll go in Monday. Basically I assume I will
    > > > lose 2 days money? Or will it be 4 days??
    > > >
    > > > Is there anything I can do whatsoever which will prevent me losing any
    > > > money? What about saying I was too ill to even go to the phone to
    > > > ring up to inform of my illness?? I'm pretty well resigned to losing
    > > > 2 days money (if not 4 days!), but if anyone can give me any advice
    > > > as to how I might prevent this I will be extremely grateful.
    > > >

    > > No, you wont lose any money if they accept your signing late - you have

    up
    > > to one week before your claim is cancelled.

    >
    > That's not strictly true - you do have up to 5 working days to make
    > representation before your claim is closed but even if you do make rep
    > within those 5 days, you can still be subject to DMA action meaning you
    > could lose at least 1 day's benefit.


    I think you definitely lose one day's benefit even if you sign on the next
    day.



    >
    > > Just tell them were ill and this contributed to your forgetting, and say

    > you
    > > don't mind if they record the fact in case you do it again in future.

    Say
    > > that you will mark all your future signing dates on a calandar and new

    > deal
    > > stuff wont confuse you in future.

    >
    > Remember that a jobseeker can only have 2 periods of sickness within any
    > year - if you then had a genuine illness within the coming year (or

    another
    > memory lapse and tried to pull the same wool over the jobcentre's eyes),

    you
    > could find your entitlement to benefits severely restricted.


    I have had one period of sickness in January which is quite unusual for me.
    But claiming I was ill, and this helped me to forget, wouldn't do any good
    anyway would it?

    And how does this sickness issue work out when you actually start doing your
    activity on "new deal"? In about 5 weeks time I'm supposed to be starting
    my own business but still getting benefits + £15 extra a week (for 6
    months)..
     
    Interesting Ian, Jun 6, 2004
    #15
  16. "Big Bill" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 07:47:54 +0100, Mike
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >
    > >anthonyberet wrote:
    > >
    > >> In Usenet post: 4qbwc.1241$,
    > >> Cosmic Horizon went on and on and on:
    > >>
    > >>>Hi,
    > >>>
    > >>>I neglected to sign on Thursday which is my signing on day, thinking
    > >>>that I was supposed to sign on next week. Only just realised tonight
    > >>>(Friday). Obviously I 'll go in Monday. Basically I assume I will
    > >>>lose 2 days money? Or will it be 4 days??
    > >>>
    > >>>Is there anything I can do whatsoever which will prevent me losing any
    > >>>money? What about saying I was too ill to even go to the phone to
    > >>>ring up to inform of my illness?? I'm pretty well resigned to losing
    > >>>2 days money (if not 4 days!), but if anyone can give me any advice
    > >>>as to how I might prevent this I will be extremely grateful.
    > >>>
    > >>
    > >> No, you wont lose any money if they accept your signing late - you have

    up
    > >> to one week before your claim is cancelled.
    > >> Just tell them were ill and this contributed to your forgetting, and

    say you
    > >> don't mind if they record the fact in case you do it again in future.

    Say
    > >> that you will mark all your future signing dates on a calandar and new

    deal
    > >> stuff wont confuse you in future.
    > >>

    > >
    > >Telling the truth, a novel approach.
    > >
    > >Mike

    >
    > It worked for me.
    >


    I don't think forgetting is an acceptable excuse. And if I say I was ill
    and this made me forget then the decision will go against me if it's decided
    on the balance of probabilities will it not?
     
    Cosmic Horizon, Jun 6, 2004
    #16
  17. Well I suppose I am suffering from amnesia! Easy enough to do though since
    I'm not just going in there once a fortnight but am required to attend in a
    seemingly random fashion.

    Ummm . . if I'm just losing £16 (2 days money) then maybe I should just tell
    the truth and accept the loss.

    "Tomato" <> wrote in message
    news:SOswc.826$0W2.65@newsfe1-win...
    > Tell them you have "amnesia" its a recognised medical condition which

    means
    > you suffer from memory loss, how much memory loss is not known but it was
    > enough for you to forget to sign on, any doctor will verify this for you.
    > You can get a self certificate form from the DSS to cover your period of
    > illness less than 7 days, if the illness lasts more than 7 days then you
    > need a doctors cert to cover you.
    >
    >
    > "Cosmic Horizon" <> wrote in message
    > news:yVlwc.104$...
    > >
    > > "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > > news:iPlwc.96$...
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > >>Cosmic Horizon wrote:
    > > > >>
    > > > >>
    > > > >>>Hi,
    > > > >>>
    > > > >>>I neglected to sign on Thursday which is my signing on day,

    thinking
    > > > >
    > > > > that I
    > > > >
    > > > >>>was supposed to sign on next week. Only just realised tonight

    > > (Friday).
    > > > >>>Obviously I 'll go in Monday. Basically I assume I will lose 2

    days
    > > > >
    > > > > money?
    > > > >
    > > > >>>Or will it be 4 days??
    > > > >>>
    > > > >>>Is there anything I can do whatsoever which will prevent me losing

    > any
    > > > >>>money? What about saying I was too ill to even go to the phone to

    > ring
    > > > >
    > > > > up
    > > > >
    > > > >>>to inform of my illness?? I'm pretty well resigned to losing 2

    days
    > > > >
    > > > > money
    > > > >
    > > > >>>(if not 4 days!), but if anyone can give me any advice as to how I

    > > might
    > > > >>>prevent this I will be extremely grateful.
    > > > >>>
    > > > >>>Thanks.
    > > > >>>
    > > > >>
    > > > >>No one will believe you were too ill to contact the jobcentre for

    two
    > > > >>days without medical evidence.
    > > > >>
    > > > >>Prevention IS the best solution, remember to sign on! Get a diary,
    > > > >>callendar or even an organiser for the PC (plenty of basic ones
    > > > >>available as freeware) to remind you. Even easier, write on a piece

    > of
    > > > >>paper your next signing date and stick it to the fridge/front
    > > > >>door/playstation.
    > > > >>
    > > > >>
    > > > >>Mike
    > > > >>
    > > > >
    > > > > It doesn't matter whether they believe me, it's whether it's an

    > > acceptable
    > > > > excuse ;-). If I'm too ill to get out of bed then I wouldn't be

    able
    > to
    > > > > contact them, especially if my phone has been cut off through not

    > paying
    > > the
    > > > > bill.
    > > >
    > > > Believing that you were to ill does matter, if the Decision Maker
    > > > doesn't believe you then your lie (lets not dress it up) won't be
    > > > accepted. A lot of people who sign on forget to sign, every excuse
    > > > under the sun has been tried and the JCP be asking questions and for
    > > > evidence. The DM will decide if your late signing is accepted on
    > > > balance of probabilities and not absolute proof one way or the other,
    > > > repeating the mistake dramatically reduces your chances of being

    > believed.
    > > >
    > > > Out of curiosity has your phone been disconnected?
    > > >
    > > > > I didn't actually forget as such, I just thought my signing on date

    > was
    > > the
    > > > > following week rather than this week.
    > > >
    > > > That sounds like you forgot to me! Write your next signing date down
    > > > and stick it on your fridge or set a reminder on your mobile.
    > > >
    > > > Mike
    > > >

    > >
    > > OK, I didn't think I'd be able to do anything about it. If they

    calculate
    > > on the balance of probabilitities I have zero chance. But I thought I'd

    > just
    > > ask in here.
    > >
    > > Right, so I might as well just say I got the signing weeks mixed up?

    I'll
    > > only lose 2 days money won't I? Not 4 cos I can't go in today or

    > tomorrow.
    > >
    > > No my phone has not been disconnected. But it was recently when I owed
    > > £1.85!
    > >
    > >

    >
    >
     
    Cosmic Horizon, Jun 6, 2004
    #17
  18. "Rob" <> wrote in message
    news:c9uvr8$dr4$...
    > Donald McCaskey wrote:
    >
    > || Remember that a jobseeker can only have 2 periods of sickness within
    > || any year - if you then had a genuine illness within the coming year
    > || (or another memory lapse and tried to pull the same wool over the
    > || jobcentre's eyes), you could find your entitlement to benefits
    > || severely restricted.
    >
    > But won't that mean they can just claim incapacity benefit instead?
    >
    > --
    > Rob


    Well, it is possible to be too sick for JSA purposes but not sick enough for
    Incapacity Benefit. Added to this, Incapacity benefit is not intended as a
    benefit to be claimed for only a day or two. So if, for a third period of
    sickness, having had one or two previous false periods, you were "forced" to
    claim Incap, it can take a few weeks to sort a claim out, by which time you
    might be looking to claim JSA again.

    Don
    --
    The Vulcan neck pinch isn't nearly as powerful as the Vulcan groin kick,
    but it is more politically correct!!
     
    Donald McCaskey, Jun 6, 2004
    #18
  19. Cosmic Horizon

    Tomato Guest

    There you are then, its not as if you are lying when you say you honestly
    forgot to sign on at the appointed time, use the correct medical term when
    you explain why you forgot then they can not cut your benefit unless they
    can prove otherwise which they cant.
    I suppose if they were to cut you benefit then they would have to send you
    for some sort of medical first.
    The point is you have a valid reason for failing to sign and under their
    rules on sickeness you are entitled to 2 per year.



    "Cosmic Horizon" <> wrote in message
    news:p9Fwc.69$...
    > Well I suppose I am suffering from amnesia! Easy enough to do though

    since
    > I'm not just going in there once a fortnight but am required to attend in

    a
    > seemingly random fashion.
    >
    > Ummm . . if I'm just losing £16 (2 days money) then maybe I should just

    tell
    > the truth and accept the loss.
    >
    > "Tomato" <> wrote in message
    > news:SOswc.826$0W2.65@newsfe1-win...
    > > Tell them you have "amnesia" its a recognised medical condition which

    > means
    > > you suffer from memory loss, how much memory loss is not known but it

    was
    > > enough for you to forget to sign on, any doctor will verify this for

    you.
    > > You can get a self certificate form from the DSS to cover your period of
    > > illness less than 7 days, if the illness lasts more than 7 days then you
    > > need a doctors cert to cover you.
    > >
    > >
    > > "Cosmic Horizon" <> wrote in message
    > > news:yVlwc.104$...
    > > >
    > > > "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > > > news:iPlwc.96$...
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > >>Cosmic Horizon wrote:
    > > > > >>
    > > > > >>
    > > > > >>>Hi,
    > > > > >>>
    > > > > >>>I neglected to sign on Thursday which is my signing on day,

    > thinking
    > > > > >
    > > > > > that I
    > > > > >
    > > > > >>>was supposed to sign on next week. Only just realised tonight
    > > > (Friday).
    > > > > >>>Obviously I 'll go in Monday. Basically I assume I will lose 2

    > days
    > > > > >
    > > > > > money?
    > > > > >
    > > > > >>>Or will it be 4 days??
    > > > > >>>
    > > > > >>>Is there anything I can do whatsoever which will prevent me

    losing
    > > any
    > > > > >>>money? What about saying I was too ill to even go to the phone

    to
    > > ring
    > > > > >
    > > > > > up
    > > > > >
    > > > > >>>to inform of my illness?? I'm pretty well resigned to losing 2

    > days
    > > > > >
    > > > > > money
    > > > > >
    > > > > >>>(if not 4 days!), but if anyone can give me any advice as to how

    I
    > > > might
    > > > > >>>prevent this I will be extremely grateful.
    > > > > >>>
    > > > > >>>Thanks.
    > > > > >>>
    > > > > >>
    > > > > >>No one will believe you were too ill to contact the jobcentre for

    > two
    > > > > >>days without medical evidence.
    > > > > >>
    > > > > >>Prevention IS the best solution, remember to sign on! Get a

    diary,
    > > > > >>callendar or even an organiser for the PC (plenty of basic ones
    > > > > >>available as freeware) to remind you. Even easier, write on a

    piece
    > > of
    > > > > >>paper your next signing date and stick it to the fridge/front
    > > > > >>door/playstation.
    > > > > >>
    > > > > >>
    > > > > >>Mike
    > > > > >>
    > > > > >
    > > > > > It doesn't matter whether they believe me, it's whether it's an
    > > > acceptable
    > > > > > excuse ;-). If I'm too ill to get out of bed then I wouldn't be

    > able
    > > to
    > > > > > contact them, especially if my phone has been cut off through not

    > > paying
    > > > the
    > > > > > bill.
    > > > >
    > > > > Believing that you were to ill does matter, if the Decision Maker
    > > > > doesn't believe you then your lie (lets not dress it up) won't be
    > > > > accepted. A lot of people who sign on forget to sign, every excuse
    > > > > under the sun has been tried and the JCP be asking questions and for
    > > > > evidence. The DM will decide if your late signing is accepted on
    > > > > balance of probabilities and not absolute proof one way or the

    other,
    > > > > repeating the mistake dramatically reduces your chances of being

    > > believed.
    > > > >
    > > > > Out of curiosity has your phone been disconnected?
    > > > >
    > > > > > I didn't actually forget as such, I just thought my signing on

    date
    > > was
    > > > the
    > > > > > following week rather than this week.
    > > > >
    > > > > That sounds like you forgot to me! Write your next signing date

    down
    > > > > and stick it on your fridge or set a reminder on your mobile.
    > > > >
    > > > > Mike
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > > OK, I didn't think I'd be able to do anything about it. If they

    > calculate
    > > > on the balance of probabilitities I have zero chance. But I thought

    I'd
    > > just
    > > > ask in here.
    > > >
    > > > Right, so I might as well just say I got the signing weeks mixed up?

    > I'll
    > > > only lose 2 days money won't I? Not 4 cos I can't go in today or

    > > tomorrow.
    > > >
    > > > No my phone has not been disconnected. But it was recently when I

    owed
    > > > £1.85!
    > > >
    > > >

    > >
    > >

    >
    >
     
    Tomato, Jun 6, 2004
    #19
  20. Cosmic Horizon

    Mike Guest

    Tomato wrote:

    > There you are then, its not as if you are lying when you say you honestly
    > forgot to sign on at the appointed time, use the correct medical term when
    > you explain why you forgot then they can not cut your benefit unless they
    > can prove otherwise which they cant.
    > I suppose if they were to cut you benefit then they would have to send you
    > for some sort of medical first.
    > The point is you have a valid reason for failing to sign and under their
    > rules on sickeness you are entitled to 2 per year.
    >


    There's a big difference between medically defined amnesia (such as
    caused by physical or mental trauma) and forgetting the odd event.
    For this lie to hold water there would have to me medical evidence of a
    particular event (physical or psycological) or history of a particularly
    and consitantly poor memory. Forgetting your mums birthday every year
    and the odd signing date proves that your too dumb to operate a diary
    not amnesia
    Many people forget things (myself included) which is why personal
    organisers and callendars are sold.


    Mike
     
    Mike, Jun 6, 2004
    #20
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    9
    Views:
    1,843
    Peter Saxton
    Aug 9, 2006
  2. gindie
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    620
    Harlan Lunsford
    Jan 14, 2004
  3. Arthur L. Rubin

    Re: Forgot to Deduct Auto Excise Tax

    Arthur L. Rubin, Apr 1, 2004, in forum: Tax
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    320
    Arthur L. Rubin
    Apr 1, 2004
  4. Rashed Ahmed

    Forgot to sign the 1040

    Rashed Ahmed, Apr 18, 2006, in forum: US Taxes
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    874
    CaptnW
    Apr 18, 2006
  5. doug w
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    289
    Sixkats
    Jul 28, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page