USA LLC, no income, Late Filing Federal Tax Return

Reaction score
Country
United States
I created a single member LLC in June 2013. At the time I was based in MN and LLC was created in Delaware as we were planning to move there. I moved to California instead. There was no income generated from this LLC.
Last two years I have been paying the state of Delaware the annual LLC tax. It was just brought to my attention by my friend that even though there is no income generated I have to file no activity on personal federal return. I created a bank account and
had accepted a deposit / loan of $2000 in Nov, 2014. This amount is in LLC's bank account. No work was performed. As of now, I have filed my personal tax return but did not include the LLC due to lack of knowledge.
I intend to close this LLC and return the money to the client if I can still reach them.
  1. What are my options here as far as amending my 2014 tax returns?
  2. Do I also need to amend 2013 tax return?
  3. What would be the penalties?
  4. What should I do with $2000 that I got from the client?
Please let me know your thoughts and views.

smallbushelp

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
As a single member LLC, if you did not elect to be treated as a corporation, the IRS considers you a "disregarded entity" and expects you to file a Schedule C along with your 1040 every year to document your business activities even if you had no taxable income. But if your business never really got started, there is no business activity to report and no need to file the Schedule C. As for the $2000, if you accepted it on behalf of your LLC, you should pay it back to the client. If you are unable to reach them, that does not entitle you to keep it. It becomes unclaimed funds in the eyes of most states and you should determine what your state's policy is for turning over unclaimed funds.

Ask a Question