Losses

Ewe

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hi,
I am just wondering how to account for money misspend that company received from costumer. Company is earning revenue based on the money spend on their behalf and already recognized revenue from that spend in the past. How to reverse that entry and how to appropriately account for that loss.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You don't reverse in this case, and if you have already closed the period there are ways to reopen the period and correct the error. However I would need a little more info from you.

If you are inquiring information with regards to your customer received payments the following would be Journalized:

In this case, there are three accounts affected. When a sale is accomplished there is an increase to Sales, Accounts Receivable and Revenue this is why you are seeing an increase in your Revenue. You would do a Journal Entry since these accounts originally were increased at time of sale, you would do the opposite to the Income Revenue. With that being said you would do a Journal Entry, Debit to decrease the earnings, and the AR (Customer) would also be decreased with a Credit, originally the AR was Debited with an increase.

If your true question is with regards to an expense, (Your company spent the money) you would do a Journal Entry to decrease as mentioned above to the Income Revenue and you would journalize with a Credit to your expense (Name of Expense). All normal balances with Expenses are a Debit which increases your expenses, when you want to decrease an Expense you do the opposite with a Credit.

I always review all situations before I begin making any type of changes to the accounting cycle in the event you make a mistake the results become a Domino affect and creates additional understatements in your Income Statement. Thus you would want to consult with your accountant or if you need additional help please feel free to advise me I am an Accountant.

Kind Regards
ML

Ewe

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hi ML,
Thank you for your reply. We closed the books and I would prefer not to make any reversing entries regarding that period.
At that time we have reversed revenue and AR at the amount ok 10k however the client already paid all 10k because we did now about the misspend. We are using QuickBooks and reversing that entry at that time only creates additional issues right now. QB right now is trying to apply cash received credit towards other invoices.
Right now we find out that the amount of revenue that should not be recognized is actually 3k not 10k. rest of it is our costumer money which we decided to pay them in cash. My question is whether I should recognize losses and what journal entry I should make for the 3k revenue. I am thinking of revering that whole 10k in this period and recognizing losses at the amount of 10k and credit cash. What do you think?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry for the late response I have my own business and working on my clients financials it's been a busy week. One additional question. Have you filed your tax returns for the tax year of the transaction in question yet? If so then you cannot go back to make any changes so advise and I will be able to further assist you.

Ask a Question