USA Medical student with write-off question - Please help

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm a 4th year medical student and just got done interviewing for residency positions. The total expense of this was around $6,000. This would be the same thing as looking for a job right? Since I have no income, can I still write this off? If I could, would I just get money back at taxes then? I really know very little about taxes and I appreciate any response greatly.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, unfortunately IRS says you cannot deduct "job hunting expenses" if you are looking for a job for the first time. Job hunting expenses ARE deductible for a job search in your current line of work.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In my 2nd year of medical school I worked as a research assistant getting paid. Would working as a doctor and working as a research assistant be considered the same current line of work since they're both science? As you can see, I REALLY want to be able to get some of this money back

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry, when someone is ill they go to a doctor and not a research assistant. Moreover, as you had no income there cannot be a deduction from income. Sorry.

Ask a Question