USA New to Acct. Clerk Typist job

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello~ I just started a job as an account clerk typist. One way in which I secured this job is by scoring high on a Civil Service test for Acct. Clerk Typist, however, I have no previous experience. They wanted someone they can train their way. I started Monday; I know I'll like it, but right now, it's a bit confusing. I have a young gal training me, but she goes fast. To be clear, I work in a school district, in Accounts Payable. There are Purchase Orders, Invoices, and packing lists, plus "backup" or documents that prove that it's ok to purchase items... Anyway, I am inundated with papers and I know someday I'll understand the logical steps. But can someone tell me the logical steps? Kind of in academic terms? Such as "First, you have to have 'A', then you do 'B." ... I have already done some inputting of information on a computer program (really very cool), and I'm learning the "how" but i am not getting the "why." Thanks. Ooh, one more thing, when I have a pile of them (I think) they call it a "warrant." Is that common?

Last edited:

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You need to know how YOUR organization does things SPECIFICALLY not how others do it in general. Go back to the young gal , ask her to slow down, and take notes, ask questions and get the straight info from her. If she acts like she does not want to train you then see your boss and tell boss that she seems to not want to train you. You will fail if you do not know how to do things correctly.

Reaction score
Hello~ I just started a job as an account clerk typist. One way in which I secured this job is by scoring high on a Civil Service test for Acct. Clerk Typist, however, I have no previous experience. They wanted someone they can train their way. I started Monday; I know I'll like it, but right now, it's a bit confusing. I have a young gal training me, but she goes fast. To be clear, I work in a school district, in Accounts Payable. There are Purchase Orders, Invoices, and packing lists, plus "backup" or documents that prove that it's ok to purchase items... Anyway, I am inundated with papers and I know someday I'll understand the logical steps. But can someone tell me the logical steps? Kind of in academic terms? Such as "First, you have to have 'A', then you do 'B." ... I have already done some inputting of information on a computer program (really very cool), and I'm learning the "how" but i am not getting the "why." Thanks. Ooh, one more thing, when I have a pile of them (I think) they call it a "warrant." Is that common?
Do you know any accounting? What don't you understand? If you don't know the basics of accounting, then you need to learn that, otherwise you won't understand the process and things will seem confusing. You can learn bookkeeping concepts from a local institute / training center or on your own from a book such as Accounting for Beginners.

Do you know your debits and credits? That is which accounts to debit and which to credit? In double entry accounting, each transaction affects at least two accounts, one decreasing and the other increasing. Debits and credits show increases and decreases. Some accounts (such as cash, inventory) increase with a debit. Other accounts (such as sales) increase with a credit.

The documents you speak of give you information for the accounting entries. They are also proof for the transaction. You get amounts and account names from them.

Purchase orders are for placing orders. Invoices are for billing customers. In your department, they would be sent to you by the supplier and show amounts to be paid for items bought. If you don't understand what the purpose of the various documents are, ask your trainer (politely, by the way).

Attachments

Ask a Question