Non-resident alien (hopefully simple) tax return question

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum and would appreciate your help. I am a non-resident alien for 2014 (having moved in late August and failing the substantial presence test) and my tax return should be fairly simple because I did not have any income at all. All I would like to do is claim back federal income tax that was withheld from a sale of European bonds in my home country Germany when the bank saw my US address. I have form 1099-B and in Box 4 it states the amount of federal income tax that was withheld. I have been looking at Form 1040NR to file my tax return and it looks like all I will have to do is fill in this figure from Form 1099-B (box 4) into line 62a and claim this amount as my refund in line 72. Is it really this simple or am I overlooking something? Of course I will also complete Schedule OI but what about anything else? Schedule NEC does not seem to apply to my situation.

Thanks in advance to everyone that can help!

Ask a Question