USA Offset an Account Payable with a Receivable

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone!

I'm currently in the processes of creating a start-up food delivery company and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the accounting setup required for my specific situation.

First off, this is our business model: We will be proving delivery service for local restaurants in our area. Clients will place orders over the phone, using our app, or directly on our website. We then forward the order to the desired restaurant, pick up the order, and have it delivered to the customer. WE charge the customer for the entire order upfront. Then, after X amount of days, we pay the restaurant what is owed to them for the food, minus a commission and flat fee.

Here's a simple Example:
Customer orders food for a total of $22.50 ($20.00 for the food, $2.50 for delivery fee which we keep).
Customer pays us by credit card or cash, and we receive the entire $22.50
We then charge the restaurant a 10% commission + $1 flat fee.
In the end, we owe the restaurant $17 (minus $2 for commission + $1 for fee).

Now this is where it gets somewhat complicated for me. Using the example above, say we also charge the restaurant a $30 fee for premium advertising on our site. In this case, the restaurant will OWE US $13 at the end of the billing period if we utilize the $17 that we originally owed to them as credit against the $30 advertising fee. Its important to note that there will be situations in which WE owe the restaurant, the restaurant owes us, or on rare occasions, it washes out.

How would you handle the above situation? Would credit notes be applicable in this situation? How could we offset the payable with the receivable without it becoming a jumbled mess? Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!! Thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Gee, thanks for all the help guys.. the community here is amazing! :rolleyes:

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How would you handle the above situation? Would credit notes be applicable in this situation? How could we offset the payable with the receivable without it becoming a jumbled mess? Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!! Thank you!
It's not best practice to offset receivables/payables because, asides from the likely jumbled mess it will become, it can distort the true picture of who owes whom in your accounts. Standards such as IFRS & UK GAAP are very strict on when offsetting is allowed, I assume US GAAP will be too. So if you want to keep proper records and save yourself a headache, don't do it.

smallbushelp

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Fidget, again, is correct. Offsetting as you describe is not good GAAP accounting. You're talking about different revenue streams and you don't want to get them all mixed up. I would suggest that you consult with a good accountant to help you set up your accounting system then teach you how to perform your daily bookkeeping. Good luck.

Ask a Question