OT: Free Stuff from British Gas

Discussion in 'UK Tax Credits and Benefits' started by Farcry, Jul 26, 2009.

  1. Farcry

    Farcry Guest

    Farcry, Jul 26, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Farcry

    Bill Guest

    Bill, Jul 26, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Farcry

    munki Guest

    munki, Jul 26, 2009
    #3
  4. Farcry

    Bill Guest

    Bill, Jul 26, 2009
    #4
  5. Farcry

    munki Guest

    Re: Free Stuff from British Gas

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > "munki" <> wrote in message news:h4i4nh$kb$...
    >>
    >> "Farcry" <> wrote in message
    >> news:nEMam.60765$...
    >>> Stumbled upon this earlier might be of use to ya all :eek:)
    >>> http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/439327/free-energy-saving-products-worth-5/
    >>>
    >>> Direct link
    >>>
    >>> https://www.britishgas.co.uk/productoffers
    >>>
    >>> Farcry.

    >>
    >> Whats the offer code ?

    > EF3. It's in the first link above!
    >
    >

    What a plank I am. Cheers Bill.
     
    munki, Jul 26, 2009
    #5
  6. Farcry

    Guest

    Re: Free Stuff from British Gas

    On 26 July, 10:10, "Bill" <> wrote:
    > "Farcry" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:nEMam.60765$...
    >
    > > Stumbled upon this earlier might be of use to ya all :eek:)
    > >http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/439327/free-energy-saving-products-wor...

    >
    > > Direct link

    >
    > >https://www.britishgas.co.uk/productoffers

    >
    > > Farcry.

    >
    > Thanks for the link.  I hadn't seen the offer till now.
    >
    > We have applied.  Nice to get something for nothing!!
    >
    > Bill


    Tanstaafl.
    There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
    Something offered for free will be paid for. By someone.
    Higher costs to customers, money from government for a program, lower
    tax revenues from company or whatever.
    Might not cost much per person, all adds up.

    Martin <><
     
    , Jul 26, 2009
    #6
  7. Farcry

    Ste Guest

    Re: Free Stuff from British Gas

    On 26 July, 21:47, "" <>
    wrote:
    > On 26 July, 10:10, "Bill" <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > "Farcry" <> wrote in message

    >
    > >news:nEMam.60765$...

    >
    > > > Stumbled upon this earlier might be of use to ya all :eek:)
    > > >http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/439327/free-energy-saving-products-wor....

    >
    > > > Direct link

    >
    > > >https://www.britishgas.co.uk/productoffers

    >
    > > > Farcry.

    >
    > > Thanks for the link.  I hadn't seen the offer till now.

    >
    > > We have applied.  Nice to get something for nothing!!

    >
    > > Bill

    >
    > Tanstaafl.
    > There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
    > Something offered for free will be paid for. By someone.
    > Higher costs to customers, money from government for a program, lower
    > tax revenues from company or whatever.
    > Might not cost much per person, all adds up.


    The grabbing hands grab all they can. My package is in the post.
     
    Ste, Jul 27, 2009
    #7
  8. Farcry

    Niteawk Guest

    Re: Free Stuff from British Gas

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > "Farcry" <> wrote in message
    > news:nEMam.60765$...
    >> Stumbled upon this earlier might be of use to ya all :eek:)
    >> http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/439327/free-energy-saving-products-worth-5/
    >>
    >> Direct link
    >>
    >> https://www.britishgas.co.uk/productoffers
    >>
    >> Farcry.

    >
    >
    > Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen the offer till now.
    >
    > We have applied. Nice to get something for nothing!!
    >
    > Bill
    >


    If only, all you are getting is a gadget that switches off electricity, bye
    bye standby, hello sales and credit people with your address details ;)
     
    Niteawk, Jul 27, 2009
    #8
  9. Re: Free Stuff from British Gas

    "Niteawk" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > "Bill" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >>
    >> "Farcry" <> wrote in message
    >> news:nEMam.60765$...
    >>> Stumbled upon this earlier might be of use to ya all :eek:)
    >>> http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/439327/free-energy-saving-products-worth-5/
    >>>
    >>> Direct link
    >>>
    >>> https://www.britishgas.co.uk/productoffers
    >>>
    >>> Farcry.

    >>
    >>
    >> Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen the offer till now.
    >>
    >> We have applied. Nice to get something for nothing!!
    >>
    >> Bill
    >>

    >
    > If only, all you are getting is a gadget that switches off electricity,
    > bye bye standby, hello sales and credit people with your address details
    > ;)


    Not if you carefully check, and tick, any boxes prohibiting them from
    contacting you regarding any other services, or passing your details on to
    third parties. Failure of them to comply with your wishes then becomes a
    breach of the Data Protection Act, and I would imagine that if a complaint
    was made against them, they would have to supply those original,
    unadulterated web form details to back up their case.

    --
    To help compile the Open Street Map, or if you just want to use copyright
    free maps of the UK, or anywhere else in the world, visit
    http://www.OpenStreetMap.org
     
    Harry Stottle, Jul 27, 2009
    #9
  10. Farcry

    Mike Guest

    Re: Free Stuff from British Gas

    Niteawk wrote:
    >
    > "Bill" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >>
    >> "Farcry" <> wrote in message
    >> news:nEMam.60765$...
    >>> Stumbled upon this earlier might be of use to ya all :eek:)
    >>> http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/439327/free-energy-saving-products-worth-5/
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Direct link
    >>>
    >>> https://www.britishgas.co.uk/productoffers
    >>>
    >>> Farcry.

    >>
    >>
    >> Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen the offer till now.
    >>
    >> We have applied. Nice to get something for nothing!!
    >>
    >> Bill
    >>

    >
    > If only, all you are getting is a gadget that switches off electricity,
    > bye bye standby, hello sales and credit people with your address details ;)


    You can always say no.

    I get a credit card or loan application every other day and countless
    direct mailings (inc e-mail) trying to sell me crap. Then there's the
    spam for Russian brides, prescription medication and Rolex watches
    (genuine!), though thankfully few make it past googles spam filters.
    Then there's sales calls "Can I ask you a few Qs about the survey you
    filled in ....", "you've been awarded a discount holiday ..." etc, etc.

    Somehow I manage to resist all of this temptation on a daily basis.

    Mike
     
    Mike, Jul 27, 2009
    #10
  11. Farcry

    munki Guest

    Re: Free Stuff from British Gas

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    news:h4ksul$1td$-september.org...
    > Niteawk wrote:
    >>
    >> "Bill" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>>
    >>> "Farcry" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:nEMam.60765$...
    >>>> Stumbled upon this earlier might be of use to ya all :eek:)
    >>>> http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/439327/free-energy-saving-products-worth-5/
    >>>>
    >>>> Direct link
    >>>>
    >>>> https://www.britishgas.co.uk/productoffers
    >>>>
    >>>> Farcry.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen the offer till now.
    >>>
    >>> We have applied. Nice to get something for nothing!!
    >>>
    >>> Bill
    >>>

    >>
    >> If only, all you are getting is a gadget that switches off electricity,
    >> bye bye standby, hello sales and credit people with your address details
    >> ;)

    >
    > You can always say no.
    >
    > I get a credit card or loan application every other day and countless
    > direct mailings (inc e-mail) trying to sell me crap. Then there's the
    > spam for Russian brides, prescription medication and Rolex watches
    > (genuine!), though thankfully few make it past googles spam filters. Then
    > there's sales calls "Can I ask you a few Qs about the survey you filled in
    > ....", "you've been awarded a discount holiday ..." etc, etc.
    >
    > Somehow I manage to resist all of this temptation on a daily basis.


    Even the Russian Bride ?
    > Mike
    >
     
    munki, Jul 27, 2009
    #11
  12. Farcry

    Mike Guest

    Re: Free Stuff from British Gas

    munki wrote:
    > "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > news:h4ksul$1td$-september.org...
    >> Niteawk wrote:
    >>> "Bill" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:...
    >>>> "Farcry" <> wrote in message
    >>>> news:nEMam.60765$...
    >>>>> Stumbled upon this earlier might be of use to ya all :eek:)
    >>>>> http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/439327/free-energy-saving-products-worth-5/
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Direct link
    >>>>>
    >>>>> https://www.britishgas.co.uk/productoffers
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Farcry.
    >>>>
    >>>> Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen the offer till now.
    >>>>
    >>>> We have applied. Nice to get something for nothing!!
    >>>>
    >>>> Bill
    >>>>
    >>> If only, all you are getting is a gadget that switches off electricity,
    >>> bye bye standby, hello sales and credit people with your address details
    >>> ;)

    >> You can always say no.
    >>
    >> I get a credit card or loan application every other day and countless
    >> direct mailings (inc e-mail) trying to sell me crap. Then there's the
    >> spam for Russian brides, prescription medication and Rolex watches
    >> (genuine!), though thankfully few make it past googles spam filters. Then
    >> there's sales calls "Can I ask you a few Qs about the survey you filled in
    >> ....", "you've been awarded a discount holiday ..." etc, etc.
    >>
    >> Somehow I manage to resist all of this temptation on a daily basis.

    >
    > Even the Russian Bride ?
    >> Mike


    There's only so many Russian brides a man can cope with, though if
    anyone is after prescription painkillers I know a man with poor english
    who can hook you up.

    Mike
     
    Mike, Jul 27, 2009
    #12
  13. Farcry

    munki Guest

    Re: Free Stuff from British Gas

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    news:h4l0b6$rfh$-september.org...
    > munki wrote:
    >> "Mike" <> wrote in message
    >> news:h4ksul$1td$-september.org...
    >>> Niteawk wrote:
    >>>> "Bill" <> wrote in message
    >>>> news:...
    >>>>> "Farcry" <> wrote in message
    >>>>> news:nEMam.60765$...
    >>>>>> Stumbled upon this earlier might be of use to ya all :eek:)
    >>>>>> http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/439327/free-energy-saving-products-worth-5/
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Direct link
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> https://www.britishgas.co.uk/productoffers
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Farcry.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen the offer till now.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> We have applied. Nice to get something for nothing!!
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Bill
    >>>>>
    >>>> If only, all you are getting is a gadget that switches off electricity,
    >>>> bye bye standby, hello sales and credit people with your address
    >>>> details ;)
    >>> You can always say no.
    >>>
    >>> I get a credit card or loan application every other day and countless
    >>> direct mailings (inc e-mail) trying to sell me crap. Then there's the
    >>> spam for Russian brides, prescription medication and Rolex watches
    >>> (genuine!), though thankfully few make it past googles spam filters.
    >>> Then there's sales calls "Can I ask you a few Qs about the survey you
    >>> filled in ....", "you've been awarded a discount holiday ..." etc, etc.
    >>>
    >>> Somehow I manage to resist all of this temptation on a daily basis.

    >>
    >> Even the Russian Bride ?
    >>> Mike

    >
    > There's only so many Russian brides a man can cope with, though if anyone
    > is after prescription painkillers I know a man with poor english who can
    > hook you up.
    >
    > Mike


    Hmm hope they are not plant growth pills for shiney leafs as I need some
    painkillers for this monster of a headache I have.
     
    munki, Jul 27, 2009
    #13
  14. Re: Free Stuff from British Gas

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    news:h4ksul$1td$-september.org...
    >
    > You can always say no.
    >
    > I get a credit card or loan application every other day and countless
    > direct mailings (inc e-mail) trying to sell me crap. Then there's the
    > spam for Russian brides, prescription medication and Rolex watches
    > (genuine!), though thankfully few make it past googles spam filters. Then
    > there's sales calls "Can I ask you a few Qs about the survey you filled in
    > ....", "you've been awarded a discount holiday ..." etc, etc.
    >
    > Somehow I manage to resist all of this temptation on a daily basis.
    >


    Unwanted telephone calls, both landline and mobiles, register with the
    Telephone Preference Service
    http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/ctps/number_type.html

    Unwanted direct mail, register with the Mail Preference Service
    http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/mps_choosetype.html

    I have been registered with both of these for a few years now, no
    unsolicited telephone calls at all now, hardly any unsolicited direct mail,
    and not had a credit card application since I registered.

    --
    To help compile the Open Street Map, or if you just want to use copyright
    free maps of the UK, or anywhere else in the world, visit
    http://www.OpenStreetMap.org
     
    Harry Stottle, Jul 27, 2009
    #14
  15. Farcry

    Guest

    Re: Free Stuff from British Gas

    On 27 July, 23:18, "Harry Stottle" <> wrote:
    > "Mike" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:h4ksul$1td$-september.org...
    >
    >
    >
    > > You can always say no.

    >
    > > I get a credit card or loan application every other day and countless
    > > direct mailings (inc e-mail) trying to sell me crap.  Then there's the
    > > spam for Russian brides, prescription medication and Rolex watches
    > > (genuine!), though thankfully few make it past googles spam filters. Then
    > > there's sales calls "Can I ask you a few Qs about the survey you filledin
    > > ....", "you've been awarded a discount holiday ..." etc, etc.

    >
    > > Somehow I manage to resist all of this temptation on a daily basis.

    >
    > Unwanted telephone calls, both landline and mobiles, register with the
    > Telephone Preference Servicehttp://www.tpsonline.org.uk/ctps/number_type.html
    >
    > Unwanted direct mail, register with the Mail Preference Servicehttp://www..tpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/mps_choosetype.html
    >
    > I have been registered with both of these for a few years now, no
    > unsolicited telephone calls at all now, hardly any unsolicited direct mail,
    > and not had a credit card application since I registered.
    >
    > --
    > To help compile the Open Street Map, or if you just want to use copyright
    > free maps of the UK, or anywhere else in the world, visithttp://www.OpenStreetMap.org


    Only works for companies buying your information.
    When you freely supply it to a company yourself, you give permission
    for that company to have your details and contact you.

    No company besides my mobile company has my mobile phone number - its
    amazing how few non-personal calls I get in a year.
    Plenty of companies I trade with, have contract with or use on
    occasion have my home number - I get upwards of 20 calls a day some
    days.
    And yes, I use both phone and post preference service.



    Martin <><
     
    , Jul 28, 2009
    #15
  16. Re: Free Stuff from British Gas

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    On 27 July, 23:18, "Harry Stottle" <> wrote:
    >
    > Unwanted telephone calls, both landline and mobiles, register with the
    > Telephone Preference Service
    > http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/ctps/number_type.html
    >
    > Unwanted direct mail, register with the Mail Preference Service
    > http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/mps_choosetype.html
    >
    > I have been registered with both of these for a few years now, no
    > unsolicited telephone calls at all now, hardly any unsolicited direct
    > mail,
    > and not had a credit card application since I registered.
    >

    <Martin wrote>
    Only works for companies buying your information.
    When you freely supply it to a company yourself, you give permission
    for that company to have your details and contact you.
    </Martin wrote>

    Not if you carefully check, and tick, any boxes to exclude that permission
    when filling in your personal details, and even if you do forget to do this,
    all you have to do is inform them when they do call you, not to call you
    again, then, as far as I am aware, this becomes a legal requirement under
    the Data Protection Act. This should also apply to other unsolicited calls,
    even if you are not registered with the TPS.

    It is, in my opinion, time that the TPS was no longer needed, and the
    acceptance of unsolicited phone calls should be made opt in instead of opt
    out. The last time I checked, (which was a couple of years ago), there were
    several million numbers registered, and that number was growing very
    rapidly, how much proof do they need that the vast majority of people do not
    want unsolicited calls?
     
    Harry Stottle, Jul 28, 2009
    #16
  17. Farcry

    Guest

    Re: Free Stuff from British Gas

    On 28 July, 09:40, "Harry Stottle" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...
    > On 27 July, 23:18, "Harry Stottle" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Unwanted telephone calls, both landline and mobiles, register with the
    > > Telephone Preference Service
    > >http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/ctps/number_type.html

    >
    > > Unwanted direct mail, register with the Mail Preference Service
    > >http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/mps_choosetype.html

    >
    > > I have been registered with both of these for a few years now, no
    > > unsolicited telephone calls at all now, hardly any unsolicited direct
    > > mail,
    > > and not had a credit card application since I registered.

    >
    > <Martin wrote>
    > Only works for companies buying your information.
    > When you freely supply it to a company yourself, you give permission
    > for that company to have your details and contact you.
    > </Martin wrote>
    >
    > Not if you carefully check, and tick, any boxes to exclude that permission
    > when filling in your personal details, and even if you do forget to do this,
    > all you have to do is inform them when they do call you, not to call you
    > again, then, as far as I am aware, this becomes a legal requirement under
    > the Data Protection Act. This should also apply to other unsolicited calls,
    > even if you are not registered with the TPS.
    >
    > It is, in my opinion, time that the TPS was no longer needed, and the
    > acceptance of unsolicited phone calls should be made opt in instead of opt
    > out. The last time I checked, (which was a couple of years ago), there were
    > several million numbers registered, and that number was growing very
    > rapidly, how much proof do they need that the vast majority of people do not
    > want unsolicited calls?


    Yet unsolicited calls still manage to sell.
    So still a valid business tool. And a few million not wanting such
    calls still leaves millions more who haven't said they don't want
    those calls.

    Informing a company not to call you again does seem to have some
    loopholes.
    If you owe them money for instance - then its your privacy versus
    company chasing a valid debt.

    I usually get my ansaphone to screen calls. People not leaving a
    message don't get a call back!

    Martin <><
     
    , Jul 28, 2009
    #17
  18. Re: Free Stuff from British Gas

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On 28 July, 09:40, "Harry Stottle" <> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>
    >> It is, in my opinion, time that the TPS was no longer needed, and the
    >> acceptance of unsolicited phone calls should be made opt in instead of
    >> opt
    >> out. The last time I checked, (which was a couple of years ago), there
    >> were
    >> several million numbers registered, and that number was growing very
    >> rapidly, how much proof do they need that the vast majority of people do
    >> not
    >> want unsolicited calls?

    >
    > Yet unsolicited calls still manage to sell.
    > So still a valid business tool. And a few million not wanting such
    > calls still leaves millions more who haven't said they don't want
    > those calls.
    >

    That could be easily tested by making it opt in, then we would really see
    how many people want unsolicited phone calls, my guess is it would be
    greater than -1 and less than 1.
     
    Harry Stottle, Jul 28, 2009
    #18
  19. Farcry

    Guest

    Re: Free Stuff from British Gas

    On 28 July, 15:22, "Harry Stottle" <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...
    >
    >
    >
    > > On 28 July, 09:40, "Harry Stottle" <> wrote:
    > >> <> wrote in message

    >
    > >> It is, in my opinion, time that the TPS was no longer needed, and the
    > >> acceptance of unsolicited phone calls should be made opt in instead of
    > >> opt
    > >> out. The last time I checked, (which was a couple of years ago), there
    > >> were
    > >> several million numbers registered, and that number was growing very
    > >> rapidly, how much proof do they need that the vast majority of people do
    > >> not
    > >> want unsolicited calls?

    >
    > > Yet unsolicited calls still manage to sell.
    > > So still a valid business tool. And a few million not wanting such
    > > calls still leaves millions more who haven't said they don't want
    > > those calls.

    >
    > That could be easily tested by making it opt in, then we would really see
    > how many people want unsolicited phone calls, my guess is it would be
    > greater than -1 and less than 1.- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    Any opt-in scheme has less take up. People seem to be resistant to
    wanting to change from status quo, as all insurance companies and
    energy providers know.
    Can't see an opt in any time soon though - too much of the economy at
    stake.

    Martin <><
     
    , Jul 28, 2009
    #19
  20. Re: Free Stuff from British Gas

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On 28 July, 15:22, "Harry Stottle" <> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:...
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> > On 28 July, 09:40, "Harry Stottle" <> wrote:
    >> >> <> wrote in message

    >>
    >> >> It is, in my opinion, time that the TPS was no longer needed, and the
    >> >> acceptance of unsolicited phone calls should be made opt in instead of
    >> >> opt
    >> >> out. The last time I checked, (which was a couple of years ago), there
    >> >> were
    >> >> several million numbers registered, and that number was growing very
    >> >> rapidly, how much proof do they need that the vast majority of people
    >> >> do
    >> >> not
    >> >> want unsolicited calls?

    >>
    >> > Yet unsolicited calls still manage to sell.
    >> > So still a valid business tool. And a few million not wanting such
    >> > calls still leaves millions more who haven't said they don't want
    >> > those calls.

    >>
    >> That could be easily tested by making it opt in, then we would really see
    >> how many people want unsolicited phone calls, my guess is it would be
    >> greater than -1 and less than 1.- Hide quoted text -

    >
    > Any opt-in scheme has less take up. People seem to be resistant to
    > wanting to change from status quo, as all insurance companies and
    > energy providers know.
    > Can't see an opt in any time soon though - too much of the economy at
    > stake.
    >

    You are starting to sound like someone that sees a personal advantage in
    pestering people in their own homes, and using the equipment they have paid
    for, just to try and make a monetary gain for yourself, and if the economy
    has become dependant on unwanted spam telephone calls, then it will be a
    very long time before it recovers.
     
    Harry Stottle, Jul 28, 2009
    #20
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. linkuk

    british gas rebate for people on benefits

    linkuk, Feb 17, 2006, in forum: UK Tax Credits and Benefits
    Replies:
    27
    Views:
    1,071
    Martin Davies
    Feb 27, 2006
  2. Energy?

    22% price increase from British Gas

    Energy?, Feb 17, 2006, in forum: UK Finance
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    187
    Energy?
    Feb 17, 2006
  3. Energy?

    22% increase from British Gas

    Energy?, Feb 17, 2006, in forum: UK Finance
    Replies:
    38
    Views:
    529
    Tumbleweed
    Feb 28, 2006
  4. thedarkman
    Replies:
    33
    Views:
    1,138
    Ishtar
    Jul 29, 2008
  5. David Woolley

    Clcksafe: British Gas Man in the Middle

    David Woolley, Jul 1, 2009, in forum: UK Finance
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    183
    David Woolley
    Jul 1, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page