Printing bill in Quickbooks Basic 2004??

Discussion in 'Quickbooks' started by Melodie, Jun 4, 2004.

  1. Melodie

    Melodie Guest

    I want to print a bill in Quickbooks basic 2004 and cannot figure out how to
    do so. When I enter a bill in the "enter bills" window I enter the vender,
    the type of account, the bill amount and the customer/job. I sometimes need
    to print one of these bills.

    The only way I know to print them is doing a "Custom Transaction Detail
    Report." With this report I get the vender, date, bill amount but not the
    customers/jobs! Therefore I might be paying one vender one check for 5
    different customers, but I don't get the customer (or job) information on
    this print out.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.............Thanks Melodie
     
    Melodie, Jun 4, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Melodie

    rob thirlby Guest

    Its not perfect but you can use a sceen dump: ie display the bill and use
    the Alt Prt Scr keys to place a copy of the window on the clipboard then
    paste to word or similar to print it. I dont know why qbks doesnt have a
    print option for bills and certain other windows.
    --
    Rob Thirlby

    "Melodie" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I want to print a bill in Quickbooks basic 2004 and cannot figure out how

    to
    > do so. When I enter a bill in the "enter bills" window I enter the

    vender,
    > the type of account, the bill amount and the customer/job. I sometimes

    need
    > to print one of these bills.
    >
    > The only way I know to print them is doing a "Custom Transaction Detail
    > Report." With this report I get the vender, date, bill amount but not

    the
    > customers/jobs! Therefore I might be paying one vender one check for 5
    > different customers, but I don't get the customer (or job) information on
    > this print out.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.............Thanks Melodie
    >
    >
     
    rob thirlby, Jun 4, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Melodie

    _ Guest

    You can print an actual invoice because that's a document actually
    created in the program. You can't print an actual bill in the same
    way because the bill is a document created by the vendor.

    Meantime - I see the customer/job in the Custom Transaction Detail
    report. I'm using the Accountant edition, so can't confirm that it's
    available in the Basic.

    Does the bill window show a "Journal" icon on the menu bar next to
    History? This is a very useful feature in the Accountant edition, but
    I don't know whether it's available in Basic. If so, the Transaction
    Journal report gives what you need more easily than the Custom
    Transaction Detail report.

    If the bill window shows enough data (if your screen resolution is
    high enough to show all the bill expense details) you can use
    ALT-PrtScreen. Open a new document in WordPad or another word
    processing application, press CTRL-V (or click Edit, Paste).


    "Melodie" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I want to print a bill in Quickbooks basic 2004 and cannot figure

    out how to
    > do so. When I enter a bill in the "enter bills" window I enter the

    vender,
    > the type of account, the bill amount and the customer/job. I

    sometimes need
    > to print one of these bills.
    >
    > The only way I know to print them is doing a "Custom Transaction

    Detail
    > Report." With this report I get the vender, date, bill amount but

    not the
    > customers/jobs! Therefore I might be paying one vender one check

    for 5
    > different customers, but I don't get the customer (or job)

    information on
    > this print out.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.............Thanks Melodie
    >
    >
     
    _, Jun 4, 2004
    #3
  4. Melodie

    Guest

    "_" <> wrote:

    >You can't print an actual bill in the same
    >way because the bill is a document created by the vendor.


    So what? Are you saying it would it be impossible to add a button to
    print out a bill as entered? It's the information that the user needs
    to see, not the layout and color design of the vendor bill.

    Even better, there should be an option to either print out the bill
    info and/or options to print out all bills entered today, or from the
    same vendor, or from the same job, etc, in a simple and extremely
    useful report list, without having to copy and paste graphics or mess
    with the custom detail transaction report and hit the wall when the
    user tries to filter on anything.

    You sound like you've never had to deal with vendor bills in your
    life, like the programmers (?) who designed (!?) the bills window.

    ==
     
    , Jun 4, 2004
    #4
  5. Melodie

    Guest

    "Melodie" <> wrote:

    >Therefore I might be paying one vender one check for 5
    >different customers, but I don't get the customer (or job) information on
    >this print out.


    Welcome to the utter incompetence called Quickbooks. The high-school
    drop outs that Intuit hired to develop (??) the program did not see
    any need to show customer/job info on 99% of the reports you can make
    on bills, bill payments, checks, etc.

    There are some frustratingly cumbersome ways to show customer/job info
    but it will only be partially useful and only some of the time.
    Reporting is severely inadequate in QB and especially for businesses
    that need customer/job centered bookkeeping like a construction
    company, etc.

    As far as vendor payments, you may be lucky on this one. Start from
    Reports > Banking > Check Detail, then filter for any date range
    you're interested in, or check number or Vendor name. This report is
    in the Pro versions, I don't know if it's in Basic.

    ==
     
    , Jun 4, 2004
    #5
  6. Melodie

    _ Guest

    No, I'm making a distinction between the actual bill and the
    information in the bill. The same distinction you make; I guess I
    didn't express myself clearly, since you seem to think you happened on
    that insight all by yourself. Understanding an issue and discussing
    it in clear language are, in my experience, more helpful in finding a
    solution than juvenile ranting.

    Your rants are unlikely to result in QB issuing a new release this
    week with all the buttons and options you think so simple and obvious.
    I'm attempting to provide some help based on what might be possible
    NOW.

    I suspect that I've dealt with more vendor bills over a longer period
    of time than you. I've also dealt with programmers (both competent
    and incompetent), and many noisemakers who are generally more
    obstructive than constructive.


    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > "_" <> wrote:
    >
    > >You can't print an actual bill in the same
    > >way because the bill is a document created by the vendor.

    >
    > So what? Are you saying it would it be impossible to add a button to
    > print out a bill as entered? It's the information that the user

    needs
    > to see, not the layout and color design of the vendor bill.
    >
    > Even better, there should be an option to either print out the bill
    > info and/or options to print out all bills entered today, or from

    the
    > same vendor, or from the same job, etc, in a simple and extremely
    > useful report list, without having to copy and paste graphics or

    mess
    > with the custom detail transaction report and hit the wall when the
    > user tries to filter on anything.
    >
    > You sound like you've never had to deal with vendor bills in your
    > life, like the programmers (?) who designed (!?) the bills window.
    >
    > ==
    >
     
    _, Jun 4, 2004
    #6
  7. Melodie

    Guest

    "_" <> wrote:

    > I guess I
    >didn't express myself clearly, since you seem to think you happened on
    >that insight all by yourself.


    I don't seem anything. I know it's not easy to convey context through
    a post, but your "you can't print bills because it's a vendor
    document" seems to try to justify the inability of printing bills
    *because* they are not Intuit created documents.

    If you choose to give a reason for the inability to print a bill then
    a more sensible statement would be "you can't print bills because the
    QB developers didn't want to add it to the program". (and that's the
    mild version of what I think about the developers). See? It's simple
    logic.


    > Understanding an issue and discussing
    >it in clear language are, in my experience, more helpful in finding a
    >solution than juvenile ranting.


    If my ranting is juvenile, what do you have to say about the skills of
    the person that consciously (I assume) designed (!?) the bills window
    for entering the due date *before* the vendor payment terms, and that
    *after* the amount, which comes *before* the bill number? If my
    comments are juvenile, then you're not consistent.


    >Your rants are unlikely to result in QB issuing a new release this
    >week with all the buttons and options you think so simple and obvious.


    My rants are not supposed to change anybody's mind that has anything
    to do with that program. I'm done trying to send feedback to people
    who have no idea about what they are doing.

    If they are so incapable of having the decency of presenting minimum
    quality work by caring a bit about what a user may need to do
    bookkeeping, then no one at QB has any willingness or ability or
    capacity or learning skill to listen to any comments, even if they
    are rants, as you call them.


    >I'm attempting to provide some help based on what might be possible
    >NOW.


    Me too. I gave the poster a way to do what she was after. It doesn't
    change the fact that QB is a crappy program that could be ten times
    better with only a tenth of the resources they have devoted to the
    useless bloat they have been injecting into the program in the last 5
    years.


    >I suspect that I've dealt with more vendor bills over a longer period
    >of time than you.


    This is not a competition, but you are wrong. I suspect you have never
    entered more than 2 vendor bills a week for any respectable amount of
    time, otherwise, you would agree that the bill window is designed (!?)
    by an ignorant person who has no idea how businesses handle vendor
    bills. Facts are facts, and that's a fact.

    It doesn't have to have what I think would be useful. But the way the
    program is now is a clear indication of incompetence and this is not a
    subjective opinion.

    I'm not criticizing you of publicly applauding it (like you know who),
    but I am criticizing you for being indifferent about it and even,
    indirectly, justifying it.

    > I've also dealt with programmers (both competent
    >and incompetent), and many noisemakers who are generally more
    >obstructive than constructive.


    You are right, but your dismissal of any opinion as noise fits very
    well with the substandard non-quality of Quickbooks.

    Later...

    ==
     
    , Jun 4, 2004
    #7
  8. Melodie

    Tee Guest

    "_" <> wrote in message
    news:AJ_vc.495$...
    > You can print an actual invoice because that's a document actually
    > created in the program. You can't print an actual bill in the same
    > way because the bill is a document created by the vendor.
    >
    > Meantime - I see the customer/job in the Custom Transaction Detail
    > report. I'm using the Accountant edition, so can't confirm that it's
    > available in the Basic.


    Pro '03 doesn't even have the journal icon. You can't print from the bill
    window there either. You can only use the history button when the bill has
    been paid. That gives you the option to print but it only prints a one-line
    sheet that shows the check number you paid the bill with, no detail of the
    bill itself. The only way to accomplish printing the bill as it appears
    onscreen is to do a screen capture then crop out the program interface in an
    image editor. Alot of work but if this only comes up once in a while then
    its no biggy.

    --
    Tara
     
    Tee, Jun 5, 2004
    #8
  9. Melodie

    Melodie Guest

    Thanks. That does display the information, but it is 2 pages and somewhat
    convoluted. At least I now know that with Quickbooks you can't easily print
    out a bill so I can stop looking........


    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > "Melodie" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Therefore I might be paying one vender one check for 5
    > >different customers, but I don't get the customer (or job) information on
    > >this print out.

    >
    > Welcome to the utter incompetence called Quickbooks. The high-school
    > drop outs that Intuit hired to develop (??) the program did not see
    > any need to show customer/job info on 99% of the reports you can make
    > on bills, bill payments, checks, etc.
    >
    > There are some frustratingly cumbersome ways to show customer/job info
    > but it will only be partially useful and only some of the time.
    > Reporting is severely inadequate in QB and especially for businesses
    > that need customer/job centered bookkeeping like a construction
    > company, etc.
    >
    > As far as vendor payments, you may be lucky on this one. Start from
    > Reports > Banking > Check Detail, then filter for any date range
    > you're interested in, or check number or Vendor name. This report is
    > in the Pro versions, I don't know if it's in Basic.
    >
    > ==
     
    Melodie, Jun 5, 2004
    #9
  10. Melodie

    _ Guest

    I find it's faster/simpler to crop (and enlarge if desired) in a word
    processing application than in an image editor, then it really is "no
    biggy". Save the image editor for really serious stuff like removing
    a former partner from the picture.


    "Tee" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > The only way to accomplish printing the bill as it appears
    > onscreen is to do a screen capture then crop out the program

    interface in an
    > image editor. Alot of work but if this only comes up once in a

    while then
    > its no biggy.
    >
    > --
    > Tara
    >
    >
     
    _, Jun 6, 2004
    #10
  11. Melodie

    Tee Guest

    "_" <> wrote in message
    news:zJswc.536$...
    > I find it's faster/simpler to crop (and enlarge if desired) in a word
    > processing application than in an image editor, then it really is "no
    > biggy". Save the image editor for really serious stuff like removing
    > a former partner from the picture.


    LOL. We'll have to agree to disagree on preferences.

    --
    Tara
     
    Tee, Jun 6, 2004
    #11
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Bob
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    576
  2. Don Tupling

    Quickbooks 5 Basic with Quickbooks 4 Pro data

    Don Tupling, Jan 21, 2005, in forum: Quickbooks
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    436
    myQBaccountant
    Jan 24, 2005
  3. Cal Tinson

    Quicken 2004 Basic vs. 2001 Basic

    Cal Tinson, Jan 4, 2004, in forum: Quicken
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    486
    Lawrence Glasser
    Jan 4, 2004
  4. john

    Q2003 Basic and Q2000 Basic

    john, May 8, 2004, in forum: Quicken
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    501
    R. C. White
    May 8, 2004
  5. Alan

    2002 Basic vs 2005 Basic

    Alan, Jan 3, 2005, in forum: Quicken
    Replies:
    23
    Views:
    667
    scott s.
    Jan 7, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page