quicken's encryption

Discussion in 'Quicken' started by Jeff@nospam.invalid, Feb 8, 2011.

  1. Guest

    After years of using Quicken I was reading a book on Q 2011 and saw that
    when Q backs up it apparently "encrypts" the backup file.

    I usually keep my Q data files in a TruCrypt encrypted volume which I
    know is secure so this made me wonder how good Quicken's own encryption
    was. Does anyone know what encryption method Q uses and if it is easily
    broken into?

    Jeff
     
    , Feb 8, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Chad Neeper Guest

    On 2/8/2011 6:39 PM, d wrote:
    > After years of using Quicken I was reading a book on Q 2011 and saw that
    > when Q backs up it apparently "encrypts" the backup file.
    >
    > I usually keep my Q data files in a TruCrypt encrypted volume which I
    > know is secure so this made me wonder how good Quicken's own encryption
    > was. Does anyone know what encryption method Q uses and if it is easily
    > broken into?
    >
    > Jeff

    I've never had a need to look into this for Quicken, but I HAVE on one
    occasion needed to break into QuickBooks for a client who had lost the
    password and couldn't get into their own system. It was disturbingly
    easy to locate a tool on the Internet to simply reset the QuickBooks
    password (if I remember correctly...it's been a while and I don't recall
    the details). There's probably such a tool out there for Quicken too,
    which is one of the many reasons why I also use Truecrypt. So, if the
    password can be easily reset, how well the file is encrypted may be a
    moot point.

    --
    Chad Neeper
    Senior Systems Engineer
    Level 9 Networks

    -- Full LAN/WAN consulting services --
    -- Specialized in libraries and schools --
     
    Chad Neeper, Feb 9, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. John Pollard Guest

    <> wrote

    > After years of using Quicken I was reading a book on Q
    > 2011 and saw that when Q backs up it apparently
    > "encrypts" the backup file.


    I don't think that is true ... as stated. Quicken's regular data file is
    encrypted; I don't think there is any added encryption for Quicken
    backups. I believe Quicken backups are exact copies of the fileset being
    backed up.

    Starting with Q2008 R2, Quicken data files have had 2048 bit encryption.

    I'll leave it to the security gurus to tell you how safe that should make
    you feel.

    --

    John Pollard
    news://<YOUR-NNTP-NEWSERVER-HERE>/alt.comp.software.financial.quicken
    Your source of user-to-user Quicken help
     
    John Pollard, Feb 9, 2011
    #3
  4. Jameslary Guest

    responding to
    http://www.beansmart.com/quicken/quicken-s-encryption-36157-.htm
    Jameslary wrote:

    I think Quicken 2011's interface has been retooled so it behaves the way
    you'd expect it to. There's a new cash-flow tracking feature that lets you
    see how much cash will be in your accounts as Quicken forecasts the timing
    of your income and expenses.
     
    Jameslary, Feb 9, 2011
    #4
  5. Uncal Bob Guest

    On 2/8/2011 11:14 PM, Jameslary wrote:
    > responding to
    > http://www.beansmart.com/quicken/quicken-s-encryption-36157-.htm
    > Jameslary wrote:
    >
    > I think Quicken 2011's interface has been retooled so it behaves the way
    > you'd expect it to. There's a new cash-flow tracking feature that lets you
    > see how much cash will be in your accounts as Quicken forecasts the timing
    > of your income and expenses.


    Huh?

    --
    Uncal Bob
     
    Uncal Bob, Feb 9, 2011
    #5
  6. Guest

    On 2/8/11 9:23 PM, John Pollard wrote:
    > <> wrote
    >
    >> After years of using Quicken I was reading a book on Q
    >> 2011 and saw that when Q backs up it apparently
    >> "encrypts" the backup file.

    >
    > I don't think that is true ... as stated. Quicken's regular data file is
    > encrypted; I don't think there is any added encryption for Quicken
    > backups. I believe Quicken backups are exact copies of the fileset being
    > backed up.
    >
    > Starting with Q2008 R2, Quicken data files have had 2048 bit encryption.
    >
    > I'll leave it to the security gurus to tell you how safe that should make
    > you feel.
    >

    Thanks. I was just curious. Will continue to depend on TrueCrypt.
     
    , Feb 10, 2011
    #6
  7. bjn Guest

    On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 20:23:33 -0600, "John Pollard" <>
    wrote:

    ><> wrote
    >
    >> After years of using Quicken I was reading a book on Q
    >> 2011 and saw that when Q backs up it apparently
    >> "encrypts" the backup file.

    >
    >I don't think that is true ... as stated. Quicken's regular data file is
    >encrypted; I don't think there is any added encryption for Quicken
    >backups. I believe Quicken backups are exact copies of the fileset being
    >backed up.
    >
    >Starting with Q2008 R2, Quicken data files have had 2048 bit encryption.
    >
    >I'll leave it to the security gurus to tell you how safe that should make
    >you feel.


    'What the encryption algorithm is' is less important than 'how easy it is
    to guess, find or reset the password'.
     
    bjn, Feb 12, 2011
    #7
  8. bjn Guest

    On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 06:14:55 +0000, (Jameslary) wrote:

    >responding to
    >http://www.beansmart.com/quicken/quicken-s-encryption-36157-.htm
    >Jameslary wrote:
    >
    >I think Quicken 2011's interface has been retooled so it behaves the way
    >you'd expect it to. There's a new cash-flow tracking feature that lets you
    >see how much cash will be in your accounts as Quicken forecasts the timing
    >of your income and expenses.


    That "new" cash flow feature is not really "new" at all.

    A few years back, that feature was in Quicken, but Intuit removed it.

    It only took five or six years of customer complaints before Intuit put the
    feature back.
     
    bjn, Feb 12, 2011
    #8
  9. Stubby Guest

    On Feb 12, 9:46 am, bjn <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 20:23:33 -0600, "John Pollard" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > ><> wrote

    >
    > >> After years of using Quicken I was reading a book on Q
    > >> 2011 and saw that when Q backs up it apparently
    > >> "encrypts" the backup file.

    >
    > >I don't think that is true ... as stated. Quicken's regular data file is
    > >encrypted; I don't think there is any added encryption for Quicken
    > >backups. I believe Quicken backups are exact copies of the fileset being
    > >backed up.

    >
    > >Starting with Q2008 R2, Quicken data files have had 2048 bit encryption.

    >
    > >I'll leave it to the security gurus to tell you how safe that should make
    > >you feel.

    >
    > 'What the encryption algorithm is' is less important than 'how easy it is
    > to guess, find or reset the password'.


    If I had to bet, I guess the "encryption" is simply LZW compression.
    Years ago even Microsoft found that files such as PowerPoint were too
    slow to load and too big to store, so they they started using LZW
    compression. Of course a password can be associated with the
    compression and I suspect that is how they separate data files on a
    per-year basis.
     
    Stubby, Feb 13, 2011
    #9
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. fis

    agresso encryption password?

    fis, Aug 14, 2004, in forum: Accounting
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    484
  2. John H. Fisher

    USE OF ENCRYPTION IN IRS E-FILE

    John H. Fisher, May 14, 2004, in forum: Tax
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    276
    John H. Fisher
    May 14, 2004
  3. Andrew

    Quicken 2004 Encryption

    Andrew, Jan 25, 2004, in forum: Quicken
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    260
    Andrew
    Jan 25, 2004
  4. John Peterson

    Quicken 2004 and up Encryption

    John Peterson, Oct 5, 2005, in forum: Quicken
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    618
    John Peterson
    Oct 5, 2005
  5. RWEmerson
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    367
    Joe John
    Mar 28, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page