Sale of rental property & bldg

Reaction score
We sold a rental property w/ building. It was owned by an LLC which I'm a member. Due to market and location drop it sold it for less than we paid for it. I did the LLC taxes with Turbo Tax and I saw apparent data entries for this sale on LLC's tax return on Form 4797 Part 1 (Sales of Business Property) showing a loss of -$56,213 on line 7. The values shown on the worksheet including allowed depreciations seem normal.
In that same return form 4797 Part 2 (Ordinary Gains & Losses), it showed no entry on line 11 asking loss if any from line 7, making me wonder why.
The K-1s issued from the LLC had pertinent percentages of the -56,213 to each member. So far so good, although I'm wondering if I answered turbo tax's questions wrong since I would have thought line 11 would show the line 7 amount.
-- Now on my personal taxes also done with turbo tax, I also have a Form 4797 showing the same data (I surmise retrieved from the K-1). However on this one, Part 2 (Ordinary Gains & Losses), it "does" show an entry on line 11 asking loss if any from line 7.
Now thickening the plot (still on my personal taxes) on Schedule D, Part 2 (long term Capital Gains/losses), it shows a different total loss amount of $-67,042. The worksheet values also seem normal but obviously it does not include depreciation and improvement as on form 4797. That same -67,042 is also shown on form 8949 (Capital gains & losses). Additionally the Schedule D Part 3 (Summary), it shows on line 21 what appears to be the allowed yearly deduction of $3000 and this amount is also shown on my form 1040 on line 13.
Ok . . . two questions of confusion.
1. On form 1040 it's showing the -3000 on line 13, and also on line 14 the -56,212 from form 4797. How can I have both tax deductions when they represent the same building sale? I must have answered Turbo tax wrong(?).
2. Even more confusing is it's showing a gains/loss carryover (to the next year) of the full $-67,042 without subtracting the -3000 being deducted on line 13 form 1040.
Please give any input as to where I went wrong or what I need to answer differently.

Ask a Question