UK Savings & ESA & Housing Benefits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all.

I have quite a simple question. However, I'm unsure as to whether this is the correct forum in which to post it, or indeed the correct website!

It's quite legitimate, but some may say has grey areas (like my hair)

To cut a very long story short;

I have been extremely ill. My wife then had an affair and left me.

I have no savings, and must claim ESA and PIP. I'm just about to secure a home for myself and will be claiming housing benefit too shortly. I am unable to work due to several issues, one of which is life changing.

Please; please do not be tempted to judge me.....but:

When my divorce goes through, and my settlement is paid, I.E. a pay off from my Wife for the equity which is in our house, I will be left with circa £20k cash.

I am worried that all my benefits will stop, and that the equity I worked so hard for will be used up.

I need a new Car, but I'm scared if I spent £10-15k on one, I would be seen as being dishonest 'getting rid' of my savings. The need is genuine - I had a nice car prior to my divorce and I had to sell it.

I also need 3-4K for a holiday to Disney world for my 2 teenage girls.

My wife is very affluent indeed, whereas I was left with no money home, job or health, for another man.

Can anyone, please please help me or point me in the direction of a colleague or website whom will be able to advise me further,

I am not a sponger, I've worked all of my life, and I'm anxious not to break any laws whilst still being able to use money for things that I need. I live in a 1 bed house in the West Country.

Could I ask for the money to be paid to another family member to avoid problems etc etc?

Thanks so much indeed, a PM would be very much appreciated and I would be happy to pay for professional honest advice. Regards, Dean. I'm a worrier.

Fidget

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think you've come to the wrong place, to be honest. This is an Accounting and Finance forum, rather than anything to do with advising on welfare state benefit claims.

You'd be best getting in touch with your local citizens advice bureau - they will possibly have a dedicated benefits adviser, and if they don't, they'll be able to tell you where you can find one.

Ask a Question