Thinking About Leaving Accounting? Need Advise

Reaction score
Country
United States
Fellow Members,

I need your help here with a dilemma I'm facing. I been in the accounting profession (Tax) for 6 years. I'm currently with my third firm and I been here for 6 month exactly today. I like the place in comparison to my previous two jobs, its actually a top 10 form here in the U.S. With the exception of two manager that myself and all other staff dislike working with the people here general are great. But this recent weekend I been doing some soul searching and I'm realizing that I'm losing my interest and passion for this, I feel like the fire is not there anymore. I'm actually thinking about leaving and try to do something else regardless if my income would be less. I just feel that if I stay longer I would be more and more miserable as time go by. The only thing is that this firm seem like a great place and there certain people I enjoy working and learning from with the exception of those two manager that I mentioned. Overall I been getting good and positive reviews on my performance review which is good but I just feel that my heart is not there anymore. I need your opinions to help me out with this dilemma. I personally think 6 month is too soon to leave. Any comment would be appreciated thanks in advance.

Ugo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I understand how you feel. I worked in Corporate accounting from 2007 to 2013. My last job was a stint overseas and it was very lucrative. But it got to the point where I was just done. I resigned and moved back to the states. I haven't been in full time accounting since and I do real estate instead. I do some consulting here and there so it stay fresh for me.

They key thing is to have a back up plan. Accounting is good at paying the bills and if you don't find a fall back, it could be hard to make up for the lost income. Ultimately make a calculated decision. It sounds to me that at some point you will walk away. Maybe start planning on what's next.

Ask a Question