USA Transitioning into Accounting from Fundraising- Help!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Everyone,
I am just seeking some advice from those who are familiar with the field and the process. My situation is kind of unique, so it's hard to find good information.

I currently have a B.A. in Urban Studies/Public Administration (grad in 2012)and I have been working in Grant Writing/Prospect Researching/Fundraising Financial Data Management on a professional level for the three years since.

Since graduating I have always regretted not going into accounting. Ideally, I would love to work as a financial investigator/agent as my end goal.

Things worked out for me when I found that with my current employer (a comm. college) I receive free tuition, so I will be earning my Associates Degree in Accounting this December. I will then attend a University where in one year of coursework (thanks to my BA checking off many req's) I will earn a B.S. double majoring in Forensic Accounting and Accounting in Dec 2016.

What advice can anyone give me on working my way towards a career as a financial investigator or special agent with any of the law enforcement/government agencies? I know it won't be easy, but I hope having a few years of professional experience in the books may help me out in my next steps. I also hope to take the CFE, and eventually the CPA. It is also important to note that I cannot rely on any internships, as I am now 24 and own my own home and have many bills to pay (so salary cuts are very important to avoid).

Any advice or recommendations you can give me would be greatly appreciated! I am very serious about my career change and hopeful that I can find my way in.
Thanks for reading.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
If your goal is to do financial investigations for the FBI, set your goal as the CPA license.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ohio, I'm on the same boat as you...in 2011 I applied for the FBI and got to the meet and greet phase because I know a foreign language. I'm applying there again now that I'm about to get my CPA license. So my advice to you if your end goal is the FBI would be to learn, really learn, another language, other than that I think you are on the right path, CPA will definitely help, CFE helps as well.

Ask a Question