• Go with the firm / apprenticeship!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Stick with University!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to go to Uni to study Accounting in September of this year. I've been doing a lot of studying myself on text books from the course. I'm currently up to Extended Trial Balance and Bank Reconciliation for anyone who's wondering...

Anyway, as this year I'm unemployed I was arranged a very good 8 week placement by the Job Centre at a local accountancy firm in my nearby area. Today I was shown around and on Monday I start work experience from 9-5 all week, every week for 8 weeks. I am excited, nervous but grateful I can build on experience before even starting my degree!

One of the partners of the firm who is very eager about taking me on (free labour I guess!) was talking about two previous examples of people who he signed on a 4 year contract to do a number of exams and become Accounting Technicians which he then said is progressed through to doing more exams to become a Chartered Accountant? (I'm yet to clear this up with them). So, employment, 4 years experience, industry standard exams (i assume, but definitely exams) and a job at the end?! Sounds good. Almost.. better than uni?

My Job Centre advisor tells me if I make a good impression, he might just offer me such a training offer! It seems too good to be true, and the thought of going off the standard and 'safe' route of university and a degree is definitely a decision I don't want to make and regret. I need your opinions and advice on the matter. I have good A-Level in ABB grade ICT/Bus.Stud./App.Science.

Can this be a better alternative to uni?
Is it a common path and have any of you done it?
What do I need to know/ask about the exams vs. the uni degree exemptions?
Does it sound to you like I've got something wrong here?
What is your opinion, and what would you do?

Thanks in advance to anyone who's taking the time to read and respond. I don't know who else to ask other than students who have done one or the other option who can feedback to me. Thanks!

Ask a Question