USA use tax question - Texas

Reaction score
Country
United States
Quick background. I have been living in California. I understand basic use tax and have been paying it to the state tax board each year when I file my state tax return.

Late last year, we moved to Texas, where there is no personal income tax or state return to file. Since there is no state return, how do I deal with use tax? A CPA told me there was no use tax in Texas (because there is no state return to file). Is that true?

Thanks for any help.

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
http://comptroller.texas.gov/taxinfo/use/

Hi - above is the link to the Texas Use tax information page. So there is a use tax in Texas. Did the initials "CPA" from that CPA person stand for "Couldn't Pass Arithmetic" ?

Or maybe it was one of those "CPA's" who got the title only for passing the exam and never got the practice experience. Still can't see why that was ever allowed. So - beware - not all "CPA's" are full on "CPA's".

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
http://comptroller.texas.gov/taxinfo/use/

Hi - above is the link to the Texas Use tax information page. So there is a use tax in Texas. Did the initials "CPA" from that CPA person stand for "Couldn't Pass Arithmetic" ?

Or maybe it was one of those "CPA's" who got the title only for passing the exam and never got the practice experience. Still can't see why that was ever allowed. So - beware - not all "CPA's" are full on "CPA's".
Very true. Even CPA firms give all sorts of incorrect answers. Best to always go to the source and make sure you've got the right information.

I once had to speak to a state auditor to ask them what they look for as compliance with tax law to get the real answer--even the state reps, my attorney, and my cpa gave wrong answers.

Ask a Question