USA Videography Taxes for Subcontractors

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I'm not tax savvy at all, so forgive my ignorance.

I'm an independent contractor doing videography/media production, and I don't make enough money to hire an accountant. Sometimes I have to hire assistants or other types of subcontractors for specific jobs. With one company I work for, I've been getting paid a lump sum for the entire job, which total sum is taxed before it gets to me. That means that the payment to my subcontractors is taxed along with the payment that goes to me. So, even if I were to pay the subcontractors the end total after taxes, then wouldn't they have to report it and it would get taxed again? And I don't want to have to be paying their taxes for them.

Like I said, I only barely understand how to file my own taxes, so if anyone could help me out, that would be great. If you can direct me to documentation or anything that might explain the situation I'm in, I'd appreciate that too. I want to pull my weight and do research, but I just don't know where to begin at all.

Thanks!

smallbushelp

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
When you say that the "total sum is taxed before it gets to me," do you mean that the company considers you a W-2 employee and they are withholding payroll taxes from you? If that is the case, then they are not treating you as an independent contractor. You should have a talk with their accounting department and get that straightened out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh, I guess I don't actually know. I know that at least from what they've communicated to me, I'm an independent contractor for them, but I'll talk to them and see. Thanks!

smallbushelp

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Do that, then post again if you still need more input. And you're welcome.

Ask a Question