USA W2 Error - Sum of State Taxes Greater than total Earned

Reaction score
The numbers below are illustrative, but depict the nature of my problem. The other day I received my W2 statements of year end earnings from my employer. My job requires me to travel and this year I had taxable earnings in 4 US states. My total federal income in box 1 was 50,000. The breakdown of each of the 4 states was as follows:

1. MN - 1,000
2. MO - 4,000
3. NC - 40,000
4. NY - 50,000

My paystub dated 12/31/12 showing YTD earnings reconciles for all states except for NY where it says my earnings should only be 5,000 (thereby making my total earned equal to the amount in box 1 or 50,000), not 100,000.

I'm pretty sure that my course of action should be to reach out to my employer and notify them of the issue, but wanted to get the forum's opinion as I don't think my earnings from NY are properly stated. To make matters more complicated, only my earnings in NC and MO had state witholdings associated with them so I will be paying in both MN and NY (hence why I am worried about my W2 showing 50k as it would create a significant tax liability).

Please let me know what your thoughts are.

Thanks,

CougarFan06

kirby

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Absolutely do not delay and ask payroll about this.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I know this is an older post, but this answer may be useful to others with the same question. New York requires employers to report the federal wages in box 18 as the NY wages. It is up to the taxpayer to allocate the correct wages to the New York non-resident tax return using IT-203-B. If the exact amount of NY wages is known, in this case $5,000, that amount should be reported. If the exact amount earned in NY is not known, then the wages can be allocated by number of days worked in NY.

Ask a Question