UK What software is best?

Reaction score
I am currently under charge of my sisters accounts.

She opened a pub in November and asked me to do them to cut down costs (I am AAT level 2 qualified and have done a level 3 course just not completed)

I qualified 5 years ago whilst heavily pregnant and have not since opened an accounting book or worked in accounts. I thought it would be a lot easier than its turning out to be :eek: and could do with some advice on what software is best for pub accounts. My sister trades on purely cash and only banks what needs to be banked for bills to go out the business account etc.

I have looked at various software and they all seem a bit too advanced for what i'm wanting to do.

Ideally I could do with something to just put a record of till receipts, loan repayments, all stock purchases (as stock is purchased from different places on a weekly basis so prices aren't the same), expenses and bills (water, electric etc) which can automatically transfer the data i input to a Profit and Loss and Balance Sheet.

Any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated greatly.:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sage One is a good option and the Cashbook software is only £5 a month.

Alternatively there are other options which will incorporate the balance sheet, etc.

You could try Clear Books or e-conomic. Which both offer everything you will need.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Charlie

If you are still following this thread, could you please let us know what apckage you went with? We are investigating a variety of small business sectors to see what functionality is most sought after in each. Your insights into Pub ownership and accounting requirements would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance

Gidon
AccountsPortal Online Accounting Software

Reaction score
Which is Best?

I agree Wave is an excellent package, but at Trust Malcolm we always head for Sage, as has been said it's cost effective, secure, and grows with you!
Let us know what you go with!
Good Luck,
Malcolm

Reaction score
Every accountant I have known uses Quick Books.
Now is that the best accounting software? I'm not sure. It all depends on your needs.

Reaction score
Hello.
I want to be aware.
What program or programs use for accountancy in the U.S?
I have to introduce myself in it before as I finish university.

Reaction score
I would probably have to recommend Xero and a plug in that allows you to capture POS information.

It is great value and the guys there are very helpful, thereafter you could seek Accountants advice by choosing one of their partners (only if you need that of course)

Regard

David

Reaction score
I'd recommend sage if you're in america but I stopped practicing with it because it does not support multiple currencies.

Reaction score
A couple of people we spoke to who were running a pub had just started using Kashflow for their business and were pretty happy with it. You can get a free trial if you wanted to check it out. We've also published a little review with interviews with companies using it if it's of interest? I can't post a link so shoot me a PM if you want it.

Reaction score
We use QuickBooks but more and more I'm wishing we could transfer all of our offices and clients over to Sage 50+. I keep hearing more good things about the Sage software.. Still the learning curve would be far too steep for many and some would flat-out refuse.

Yet I wonder: Does anyone here have any experience switching from QuickBooks to Sage and what was the learning process like if so??

Reaction score
Hi,

if you also use webapps for CRM, email marketing etc, then the quality to look for is integration. How easily you can move data from one place to another, saving time = saving money. For this reason I encourage you to have a closer look at Quickbooks and Freshbooks, because they both have good integration options with other webapps.

Mary Jane

Reaction score
With so many accounting programs out there, the best software decision often depends on the location of where you live. For me, my first choice is Xero. It is a breeze to manage accounts and the bank feed integration is second to none.

Reaction score
PracticePro

Hey Charlie,

I have recently signed up to PracticePro and although the software isn't really what you use on a daily basis they have some fantastic cloud based software supported by full marketing strategies.

I was looking at AVN also but their membership package was £800 per month. However I came across PracticePro at Accountex and was really impressed. I signed up to the Professional membership at £499 per month and attended their 'Bootcamp', in which they gave me a month by month strategy to improve my business.

So far it's been fantastic. Has anyone else signed up with PracticePro? Or alternatively how about AVN? I'd be interested to hear from members of both...

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am currently under charge of my sisters accounts.

I have looked at various software and they all seem a bit too advanced for what i'm wanting to do.

Ideally I could do with something to just put a record of till receipts, loan repayments, all stock purchases (as stock is purchased from different places on a weekly basis so prices aren't the same), expenses and bills (water, electric etc) which can automatically transfer the data i input to a Profit and Loss and Balance Sheet.

Any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated greatly.:)
There are lots of accounting software in the market such as QuickBooks, FreshBooks, Xero, and Sage. The "best" word in context to the accounting software fits to the situation and requirements. However, my first choice is QuickBooks. If you want an online solution then QuickBooks Online, Xero and Freshbooks are the good options.

I'll recommend QuickBooks for the requirement you listed above since I'm concerned it with for five years. I'm using QuickBooks Cloud Hosting from an Intuit authorized QuickBooks Hosting Provider. You can do invoicing, sales ledger purchase ledger, payroll, job costing, stock control, loan repayment and much more, and it's all automatic. It's also quite advanced and easy to use from other software used for accounting.

Warm Regards,
Renuka Rana, CPA

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Alfred,

Good to hear from a fellow member. I have been with PracticePro for approximately 7 months now and I can safely say that they have been fantastic. The software is great and I love the way that each software package produces company branded reports. It just oozes professionalism.

Let me assure you I won't be needing my money back guarantee which they promise.

I've been sticking to the month-by-month plan and this month i'm focusing on building up client testimonials.

Overall I cannot recommend PracticePro enough - it's worked wonders for me.

Maybe i'll see you at the quarterly networking and business development meeting!

Best,
C

Reaction score
Program like Wave but with possibility to manually upload annexes

Hi all,

Thank you for some good suggestions. I tried Wave based on the responses above and after using it for a few days I realized that you could not A. upload invoices to the cloud that you had not made in the Wave invoice module and B. Could not upload annexes manually i.e. if one need to do a manual booking/correction.

Could anyone recommend an bookkeeping/accounting program where one can upload annexes in the cloud for free of for a minimum fee? I have found a few options but they are about USD 15 per license. I need about 100 licenses since I'm starting a small book keeping firm.

I hope you have some good suggestions.

Thank you very much.

Michael

Ask a Question