What's the best accounting online solution for this?

Reaction score
I have a very simple problem but it boggles my mind because I'm most likely not informed very well about the accounting solutions out there (both web based and pc based).
Right now I'm taking care of my "accounting" using good old spreadsheets. And I have 3 columns. In the first column I put the name of clients who need to pay, in the second column the amount for each client, and the third
column is the due date (when they are supposed to pay). And I find myself having to manually edit the third column because, as you well know, not all clients pay when they are supposed to pay. And I want to record the income not
on the date when I send out the invoice but when I manage to get the funds from the client. And I personally think that what I'm manually doing is ridiculous, and there must be a better way. Ideally would be when the dates are automatically
updated and even if possible, to input the email address of the client and every week (or whatever I set) that he gets a reminder or something that he needs to pay the invoice.
Any ideas for how to go about doing this?

Reaction score
Country
United States
mm... Why don't you use a calendar with reminders like...

...Outlook? (Windows)
...Kontact? (Linux)
...MyMemorizer? (web based)

They can't do the e-mail thing, though (or maybe yes, but you will need to consult the help section).

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
You definitely need an accounting package, no doubt about it. Invoicing is one of the basic feature of almost any accounting package new and old (even Quickbooks for DOS 1.0 had it), so literally almost anything is better than what you are doing.

Look at GnuCash--a free open-source accounting package that has all the basics like this covered. You may still have to change invoice due date manually (because most of the time businesses want their invoices paid by a certain fixed date), but it should be much easier. As far as emailing invoices, I'm not sure about that, but it might be built-in.

Reaction score
Hi

Doing accounting with your own private PC database, means you need custom integration or installation integrations which are complicated, expensive and often not kept up to date with the webapps you use. Not being able to synchronize means you will have to retype the same data, not really the most effective way to work.

The benefit of keeping everything in cloud webapps is that APIs make it easy to connect them.
Existing data, new data, updates - everything is constantly synchronized. You save time, it's more convenient and you can be sure your data is always the same in all systems connected.

Quicbooks and Freshbooks have good integration options with other webapps - CRM, ecommerce, etc.

This is an important topic that I think deserves to be discussed. I hope you find the best solution for your needs.

Cheers,
Mary Jane, Cloutex

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I smell spam. There's no reason someone needs an enterprise-grade cloud solution for simple invoicing.

Reaction score
There are many solutions for this in the cloud, which also allow emailing of invoices. Xero is a very clean and user friendly software but they do have a monthly charge that is reasonable. There is also a system that called "Wave Accounting" that is free. We are an accounting firm and have clients on both of these systems depending on their specific situation.

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
There are many solutions for this in the cloud, which also allow emailing of invoices. Xero is a very clean and user friendly software but they do have a monthly charge that is reasonable. There is also a system that called "Wave Accounting" that is free. We are an accounting firm and have clients on both of these systems depending on their specific situation.
Wave is interesting as it reminds me of Quicken and Quickbooks in their DOS versions in terms of functionality and ease of use. Too bad it lacks the ability to input data efficiently (https://support.waveapps.com/entries/23232177-Keyboard-Shortcuts), which was one of the things that made quicken/quickbooks popular, and it also has some of the same problems as using quicken for a business (https://support.waveapps.com/entries/27144250-Manual-entry-of-bank-transactions).

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Hi,

You can solve all your accounting problems with the OneAccounting Software. This is a cloud-based accounting software system. You can start using it by subscribing to it and by paying economical and small monthly fees.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would recommend you to go for QuickBooks accounting software, if you are looking for desktop version. Xero, Wave and Kashoo are also the good choices for online accounting.

Ask a Question