Accountant Forums


Reply
Thread Tools

Too many data files

 
 
Ralph
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      04-18-2010, 12:12 AM
I get the message "Quicken's most recently used files list can only show the
first 50 files in this directory. You have too many data files to list them
all".

So how do I resolve this issue?

Ralph


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Sharx35
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      04-18-2010, 01:04 AM


"Ralph" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hqdirg$c57$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> I get the message "Quicken's most recently used files list can only show
> the first 50 files in this directory. You have too many data files to list
> them all".
>
> So how do I resolve this issue?
>
> Ralph
>


Delete the older ones.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bob Wang
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      04-18-2010, 01:45 AM
Ralph:
I keep an "Old Files" folder where I move inactive files.
Bob
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ralph
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      04-18-2010, 02:10 PM
That did the trick. Thanx folks.

Ralph

"Ralph" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hqdirg$c57$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>I get the message "Quicken's most recently used files list can only show
>the first 50 files in this directory. You have too many data files to list
>them all".
>
> So how do I resolve this issue?
>
> Ralph
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Hank Arnold
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      04-19-2010, 09:21 AM
Try adding each backup to it's own directory. Sounds like you have a
version earlier that 2010. Good news is that Q10 has a single backup
file now....


Regards,
Hank Arnold
Microsoft MVP
Windows Server - Directory Services
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/personal-pc-assistant/

On 4/17/2010 8:12 PM, Ralph wrote:
> I get the message "Quicken's most recently used files list can only show the
> first 50 files in this directory. You have too many data files to list them
> all".
>
> So how do I resolve this issue?
>
> Ralph
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ralph
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      04-19-2010, 03:59 PM
You're right. I'm running 2008Dx. I don't anticipate upgrading in the near
future. Am fed up with the "screw up what works to justify a new version"
mentality.
I'll just keep transferring old files to a new folder periodically.

Ralph


"Hank Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4bcc2093$0$4989$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try adding each backup to it's own directory. Sounds like you have a
> version earlier that 2010. Good news is that Q10 has a single backup file
> now....
>
>
> Regards,
> Hank Arnold
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Server - Directory Services
> http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/personal-pc-assistant/
>
> On 4/17/2010 8:12 PM, Ralph wrote:
>> I get the message "Quicken's most recently used files list can only show
>> the
>> first 50 files in this directory. You have too many data files to list
>> them
>> all".
>>
>> So how do I resolve this issue?
>>
>> Ralph
>>
>>



 
Reply With Quote
 
John Oliver
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      04-19-2010, 04:49 PM
On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 01:04:46 GMT, Sharx35 wrote:
>
>
> "Ralph" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hqdirg$c57$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> I get the message "Quicken's most recently used files list can only show
>> the first 50 files in this directory. You have too many data files to list
>> them all".
>>
>> So how do I resolve this issue?
>>
>> Ralph
>>

>
> Delete the older ones.


I do my backups to a couple of little flash drives. I keep about the
last three backups... each time I do a new backup, I delete the oldest.

One caveat here... flash drives are only good for so many read/writes.
Every now and then, replace them... they're cheap. Smash the old one
with a hammer. Keep at least one off-site, in a sefe deposit box or
something. Heck, you could even splurge for a slightly bigger one and
keep all of the old backups you want! :-)

--
* John Oliver http://www.john-oliver.net/ *
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ralph
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      04-19-2010, 05:23 PM
I do my backups encrypted, to an external drive.

Ralph

"John Oliver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 01:04:46 GMT, Sharx35 wrote:
>>
>>
>> "Ralph" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:hqdirg$c57$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>> I get the message "Quicken's most recently used files list can only show
>>> the first 50 files in this directory. You have too many data files to
>>> list
>>> them all".
>>>
>>> So how do I resolve this issue?
>>>
>>> Ralph
>>>

>>
>> Delete the older ones.

>
> I do my backups to a couple of little flash drives. I keep about the
> last three backups... each time I do a new backup, I delete the oldest.
>
> One caveat here... flash drives are only good for so many read/writes.
> Every now and then, replace them... they're cheap. Smash the old one
> with a hammer. Keep at least one off-site, in a sefe deposit box or
> something. Heck, you could even splurge for a slightly bigger one and
> keep all of the old backups you want! :-)
>
> --
> * John Oliver http://www.john-oliver.net/ *



 
Reply With Quote
 
Steven Latus
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      04-25-2010, 02:26 AM
On 04/17/2010 8:12 PM, Ralph wrote:
> I get the message "Quicken's most recently used files list can only show the
> first 50 files in this directory. You have too many data files to list them
> all".
>
> So how do I resolve this issue?
>
> Ralph
>
>


Make a second data folder and move all the files over the limit into the
new folder.

You could have 50 files in DATA1, for example, and the rest in DATA2.

Add more folders as needed.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sharx35
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      04-25-2010, 08:13 AM


"Steven Latus" <slatus@*delete_this_part_to_reply*optonline.net > wrote in
message news:4bd3a83e$0$22346$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 04/17/2010 8:12 PM, Ralph wrote:
>> I get the message "Quicken's most recently used files list can only show
>> the
>> first 50 files in this directory. You have too many data files to list
>> them
>> all".
>>
>> So how do I resolve this issue?
>>
>> Ralph
>>
>>

>
> Make a second data folder and move all the files over the limit into the
> new folder.
>
> You could have 50 files in DATA1, for example, and the rest in DATA2.
>
> Add more folders as needed.


What kind of obsessive idiot KEEPS that many files?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Too many backup copies??? avraham Quicken 7 03-10-2007 10:40 PM
Too Many Dependents? (Cartoon) William Brenner Tax 0 02-22-2004 12:56 AM
Too Many Charitable Contributions for 2003?? Ryan Tax 3 11-11-2003 04:27 AM
Quicken backing up using too many floppies Neil Grover Quicken 10 10-11-2003 01:18 AM
Quicken claims too many windows open TCipollina Quicken 2 07-31-2003 06:28 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:08 AM.
Posts in this forum do not constitute the advice of AccountantForums.com or its members. Financial advice should always be taken from qualified advisors before committing to a financial decision.