Accountant Forums


Reply
Thread Tools

Transferring Data From One Quicken File to Another

 
 
Giles Albertson
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      04-18-2005, 05:28 PM
Here in this NG, on the Quicken website support center, and on the msn
Quicken Users group, there are various discussions of how to transfer
information, accounts, or entire data files from one Quicken file to
another. So far as I can tell, these are all elaborations of the
basic QIF export / import procedure.

When I try this procedure, the data and transactions in certain
accounts transfer just fine. However, try what I might, the
transactions (checks written) in one of the checking accounts and the
transactions in a money market fund (checks drawn on the fund) will
not transfer. (Interestingly, the deposits in the checking account do
transfer. Also interestingly, another checking account transfers
completely without a hitch.)

In all the poking around I have done, two notable things have struck
me.

First, I find no one else who mentions having such a problem.

Second, Intuit customer support bulletin KB ID#: 1174b entitled
"Moving information between Quicken data files" (available on their
website) addresses the question "How do I transfer information,
accounts, or entire data files from one Quicken file to another?" and
gives extensive detailed instructions.

Midway, it says: "Important: QIF import is available only for asset
and liability accounts (including house and vehicle), credit card
accounts, and cash accounts. . . . QIF import is not available for
checking, savings, 401(k), or any other brokerage accounts."

That seems to be saying pretty clearly that QIF will not import
checking account transactions (nor money market account transactions,
if such an account is a "brokerage" account). Several Intuit customer
support bulletins lay out the same procedure, but only that one
contains the caveat.

If it is true that you can't transfer checking or "brokerage"
accounts, it is puzzling to me that one of my checking accounts
transferred successfully. Further, it is remarkable that none of the
extensive posts here on this NG or in the msn group on the subject of
merging files / exporting-importing data / marrying, etc. even mention
such an enormous catgegory of data that can't be moved via QIF.

Does anyone here have any suggestions, enlightenment, explanations,
education, or thoughts that might help. I just need to get the data
and transactions in two separate Quicken files (both v. 2004)
transferred into one file.

Thanks for any assistance.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Pollard
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      04-18-2005, 06:16 PM
Giles Albertson wrote:
> Here in this NG, on the Quicken website support center, and on
> the msn
> Quicken Users group, there are various discussions of how to
> transfer
> information, accounts, or entire data files from one Quicken
> file to
> another. So far as I can tell, these are all elaborations of
> the
> basic QIF export / import procedure.



> When I try this procedure, the data and transactions in
> certain
> accounts transfer just fine. However, try what I might, the
> transactions (checks written) in one of the checking accounts
> and the
> transactions in a money market fund (checks drawn on the fund)
> will
> not transfer. (Interestingly, the deposits in the checking
> account do
> transfer. Also interestingly, another checking account
> transfers
> completely without a hitch.)


I do not see enough information here to tell what may be wrong
.... though QIF file exporting/importing is not exactly a
user-information filled process.

You have not described your specific approach to the process;
for example, did you attempt to export all data into one QIF
file and import that QIF file? Or did you do as suggested in
the faq at the MSN site and export each account to its own QIF
file? I think the latter is preferrable. In fact, I think that
you should pay close attention to the suggestions in that faq.

You have not noted whether the missing transactions are actually
in the QIF file (in other words, did they get exported). And
you have not noted whether you saw any messages during the
import process. If I recall correctly, the QIF import process
can hit a snag and just ignore any subsequent transactions; but
I think that there is usually a message indicating a problem
when this happens.

> In all the poking around I have done, two notable things have
> struck
> me.



> First, I find no one else who mentions having such a problem.


There have definitely been problems reported in this group with
QIF file export/import; you Googled and found nothing?.

> Second, Intuit customer support bulletin KB ID#: 1174b
> entitled
> "Moving information between Quicken data files" (available on
> their
> website) addresses the question "How do I transfer
> information,
> accounts, or entire data files from one Quicken file to
> another?" and
> gives extensive detailed instructions.
>
> Midway, it says: "Important: QIF import is available only for
> asset
> and liability accounts (including house and vehicle), credit
> card
> accounts, and cash accounts. . . . QIF import is not available
> for
> checking, savings, 401(k), or any other brokerage accounts."


This pertains *only* to Q2005 and future versions (and beginning
with Q2006, credit-card accounts will also not be able to import
QIF files).

> That seems to be saying pretty clearly that QIF will not
> import
> checking account transactions (nor money market account
> transactions,
> if such an account is a "brokerage" account). Several Intuit
> customer
> support bulletins lay out the same procedure, but only that
> one
> contains the caveat.
>
> If it is true that you can't transfer checking or "brokerage"
> accounts, it is puzzling to me that one of my checking
> accounts
> transferred successfully.


See above.

> Further, it is remarkable that none of the
> extensive posts here on this NG or in the msn group on the
> subject of
> merging files / exporting-importing data / marrying, etc. even
> mention
> such an enormous catgegory of data that can't be moved via
> QIF.


You're wrong about that; in fact, the loss of QIF file importing
capability for most account types in Q2005 and later, is one of
the most discussed topics here and in other forums. If you
didn't find it, it is not because it is not there.

> Does anyone here have any suggestions, enlightenment,
> explanations,
> education, or thoughts that might help. I just need to get
> the data
> and transactions in two separate Quicken files (both v. 2004)
> transferred into one file.


--
John Pollard
First initial underscore Last name at mchsi dot com
Please reply to newsgroup


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Giles Albertson
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      04-18-2005, 08:25 PM
John --

Thank you for your incredibly prompt and knowledgeable response to my
post. Here is the additional information that I can provide.

GA1 [[ ]]
JP = =
GA2 * *

[[Here in this NG, on the Quicken website support center, and on the
msn Quicken Users group, there are various discussions of how to
transfer information, accounts, or entire data files from one Quicken
file to another. So far as I can tell, these are all elaborations of
the basic QIF export / import procedure.]]

[[When I try this procedure, the data and transactions in certain
accounts transfer just fine. However, try what I might, the
transactions (checks written) in one of the checking accounts and the
transactions in a money market fund (checks drawn on the fund) will
not transfer. (Interestingly, the deposits in the checking account do
transfer. Also interestingly, another checking account transfers
completely without a hitch.]]

=I do not see enough information here to tell what may be wrong though
QIF file exporting/importing is not exactly a user-information filled
process.=

=You have not described your specific approach to the process; for
example, did you attempt to export all data into one QIF file and
import that QIF file? Or did you do as suggested in the faq at the
MSN site and export each account to its own QIF file? I think the
latter is preferrable. In fact, I think that you should pay close
attention to the suggestions in that faq.=

*My approach to the process was to follow the directions. Yes, I
followed the procedures and yes I paid close attention.*

=You have not noted whether the missing transactions are actually in
the QIF file (in other words, did they get exported).=

*The transactions are in the QIF file, but they don't get imported.*

=And you have not noted whether you saw any messages during the import
process.=

*I get no error or other messages.*

=If I recall correctly, the QIF import process can hit a snag and just
ignore any subsequent transactions; but I think that there is usually
a message indicating a problem when this happens.=

*Nothing like that seems to be happening.*

[[In all the poking around I have done, two notable things have struck
me.]]

[[First, I find no one else who mentions having such a problem.]]

=There have definitely been problems reported in this group with QIF
file export/import; you Googled and found nothing?.=

*Problems are reported in all three places and are rife in the 2005
edition because of Intuit's decision to leverage the import capability
to force an upgrade. In the clause "I find no one else who mentions
having such a problem," the words "such a problem" refer to this
specific problem and to this specific Quicken edition--2004.*

*With all the careful and detailed pre-2005 advice that is available
on how to merge two Quicken files, people surely must have followed it
and been more or less successful. And surely they would have
mentioned a problem as enormous as the checking account transactions
not passing over. But that's what I don't see.*

[[Second, Intuit customer support bulletin KB ID#: 1174b entitled
"Moving information between Quicken data files" (available on their
website) addresses the question "How do I transfer information,
accounts, or entire data files from one Quicken file to another?" and
gives extensive detailed instructions.]]

[[Midway, it says: "Important: QIF import is available only for asset
and liability accounts (including house and vehicle), credit card
accounts, and cash accounts. . . . QIF import is not available for
checking, savings, 401(k), or any other brokerage accounts."]]

=This pertains *only* to Q2005 and future versions (and beginning with
Q2006, credit-card accounts will also not be able to import QIF
files).=

*That is helpful information indeed, Can you cite a source? It does
not appear in Intuit's KB ID#: 1174b bulletin itself, which, in fact,
is captioned "Quicken 2004 for Windows."*

[[That seems to be saying pretty clearly that QIF will not import
checking account transactions (nor money market account transactions,
if such an account is a "brokerage" account). Several Intuit customer
support bulletins lay out the same procedure, but only that one
contains the caveat.]]

[[If it is true that you can't transfer checking or "brokerage"
accounts, it is puzzling to me that one of my checking accounts
transferred successfully.]]

[[Further, it is remarkable that none of the extensive posts here on
this NG or in the msn group on the subject of merging files /
exporting-importing data / marrying, etc. even mention such an
enormous catgegory of data that can't be moved via QIF.]]

=You're wrong about that; in fact, the loss of QIF file importing
capability for most account types in Q2005 and later, is one of the
most discussed topics here and in other forums. If you didn't find
it, it is not because it is not there.=

*We're not connecting here. I'm in 2004 and you're addressing the
mess Intuit has made of 2005.*

[[Does anyone here have any suggestions, enlightenment, explanations,
education, or thoughts that might help. I just need to get the data
and transactions in two separate Quicken files (both v.
2004)transferred into one file.]]

*Thanks again.*

*GA*
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Pollard
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      04-18-2005, 11:57 PM
Giles Albertson wrote:
> John --
>
> Thank you for your incredibly prompt and knowledgeable
> response to my
> post. Here is the additional information that I can provide.
>
> GA1 [[ ]]
> JP = =
> GA2 * *
>
> [[Here in this NG, on the Quicken website support center, and
> on the
> msn Quicken Users group, there are various discussions of how
> to
> transfer information, accounts, or entire data files from one
> Quicken
> file to another. So far as I can tell, these are all
> elaborations of
> the basic QIF export / import procedure.]]
>
> [[When I try this procedure, the data and transactions in
> certain
> accounts transfer just fine. However, try what I might, the
> transactions (checks written) in one of the checking accounts
> and the
> transactions in a money market fund (checks drawn on the fund)
> will
> not transfer. (Interestingly, the deposits in the checking
> account do
> transfer. Also interestingly, another checking account
> transfers
> completely without a hitch.]]
>
> =I do not see enough information here to tell what may be
> wrong though
> QIF file exporting/importing is not exactly a user-information
> filled
> process.=
>
> =You have not described your specific approach to the process;
> for
> example, did you attempt to export all data into one QIF file
> and
> import that QIF file? Or did you do as suggested in the faq
> at the
> MSN site and export each account to its own QIF file? I think
> the
> latter is preferrable. In fact, I think that you should pay
> close
> attention to the suggestions in that faq.=
>
> *My approach to the process was to follow the directions.
> Yes, I
> followed the procedures and yes I paid close attention.*
>
> =You have not noted whether the missing transactions are
> actually in
> the QIF file (in other words, did they get exported).=
>
> *The transactions are in the QIF file, but they don't get
> imported.*
>
> =And you have not noted whether you saw any messages during
> the import
> process.=
>
> *I get no error or other messages.*
>
> =If I recall correctly, the QIF import process can hit a snag
> and just
> ignore any subsequent transactions; but I think that there is
> usually
> a message indicating a problem when this happens.=
>
> *Nothing like that seems to be happening.*


You did not answer the most important question: did you export
*all* your accounts to one QIF file, then import that one file,
or did you export each account to its own QIF file?
>
> [[In all the poking around I have done, two notable things
> have struck
> me.]]
>
> [[First, I find no one else who mentions having such a
> problem.]]
>
> =There have definitely been problems reported in this group
> with QIF
> file export/import; you Googled and found nothing?.=
>
> *Problems are reported in all three places and are rife in the
> 2005
> edition because of Intuit's decision to leverage the import
> capability
> to force an upgrade. In the clause "I find no one else who
> mentions
> having such a problem," the words "such a problem" refer to
> this
> specific problem and to this specific Quicken edition--2004.*


I am unaware of any QIF problems that are Quicken version
specific. Forget looking for Q2004 QIF problems; look for QIF
problems.

> *With all the careful and detailed pre-2005 advice that is
> available
> on how to merge two Quicken files, people surely must have
> followed it
> and been more or less successful. And surely they would have
> mentioned a problem as enormous as the checking account
> transactions
> not passing over. But that's what I don't see.*


There is no Quicken pre-Q2005 problem with "checking account
transactions not passing over".

> [[Second, Intuit customer support bulletin KB ID#: 1174b
> entitled
> "Moving information between Quicken data files" (available on
> their
> website) addresses the question "How do I transfer
> information,
> accounts, or entire data files from one Quicken file to
> another?" and
> gives extensive detailed instructions.]]
>
> [[Midway, it says: "Important: QIF import is available only
> for asset
> and liability accounts (including house and vehicle), credit
> card
> accounts, and cash accounts. . . . QIF import is not available
> for
> checking, savings, 401(k), or any other brokerage accounts."]]
>
> =This pertains *only* to Q2005 and future versions (and
> beginning with
> Q2006, credit-card accounts will also not be able to import
> QIF
> files).=
>
> *That is helpful information indeed, Can you cite a source?
> It does
> not appear in Intuit's KB ID#: 1174b bulletin itself, which,
> in fact,
> is captioned "Quicken 2004 for Windows."*


I'll leave it to you to do some more research. This is not a
debatable proposition; it is a fact.

> [[That seems to be saying pretty clearly that QIF will not
> import
> checking account transactions (nor money market account
> transactions,
> if such an account is a "brokerage" account). Several Intuit
> customer
> support bulletins lay out the same procedure, but only that
> one
> contains the caveat.]]
>
> [[If it is true that you can't transfer checking or
> "brokerage"
> accounts, it is puzzling to me that one of my checking
> accounts
> transferred successfully.]]
>
> [[Further, it is remarkable that none of the extensive posts
> here on
> this NG or in the msn group on the subject of merging files /
> exporting-importing data / marrying, etc. even mention such an
> enormous catgegory of data that can't be moved via QIF.]]
>
> =You're wrong about that; in fact, the loss of QIF file
> importing
> capability for most account types in Q2005 and later, is one
> of the
> most discussed topics here and in other forums. If you didn't
> find
> it, it is not because it is not there.=
>
> *We're not connecting here.


Possibly, but it remains to be seen.

> I'm in 2004


I knew that even though I had to read all this way in your
original post to find it out

> ad you're addressing the
> mess Intuit has made of 2005.*


Well, not really. Even though you made it clear earlier in your
original post that you were confusing QIF limitations that only
existed in Q2005, I relied on later of your comments when I made
the remarks you are now referring to. Comments like,

"That seems to be saying pretty clearly that QIF will not import
checking account transactions (nor money market account
transactions, if such an account is a "brokerage" account)."

That statement (your statement) is not true for Q2004. (And
Quicken has no such thing as a "money market account", so I have
no idea what you are referring to there). The Intuit statements
you refer to in the quote above are statements that pertain only
to Q2005.

So let's start from this assumption: Q2004 can import QIF file
transactions from every type of account that you can create in
Q2004. Then let's see if we can figure out why, in your
particular case, some transactions were not imported. Start
with my earlier question about whether you attempted to
export/import all accounts to/from one QIF file. And if that is
what you did, try exporting one QIF file from the (a) single
account that you could not import, then importing that QIF file
and see what happens.

> [[Does anyone here have any suggestions, enlightenment,
> explanations,
> education, or thoughts that might help. I just need to get
> the data
> and transactions in two separate Quicken files (both v.
> 2004)transferred into one file.]]
>
> *Thanks again.*
>
> *GA*


--
John Pollard
First initial underscore Last name at mchsi dot com
Please reply to newsgroup


 
Reply With Quote
 
Giles Albertson
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      04-19-2005, 10:36 AM
Hello John (and any others patient enough to be following this
exchange)--

I'm removing some of the text here because it's getting unwieldy.

>> =You have not described your specific approach to the process;
>> for
>> example, did you attempt to export all data into one QIF file
>> and
>> import that QIF file?


>> *My approach to the process was to follow the directions.
>> Yes, I
>> followed the procedures and yes I paid close attention.*


>You did not answer the most important question: did you export
>*all* your accounts to one QIF file, then import that one file,
>or did you export each account to its own QIF file?


John, as you have stated the directions recommend account specific
transfers. When I say I followed the directions, I follwed the
directions. Yes, that means account-specific transfers.

>I am unaware of any QIF problems that are Quicken version
>specific.


Intuit recognizes 2005 version specific problems. It seems apparent
that a distinction between versions is at the core of this analysis.
Intuit has degraded the QIF functionality for 2005 and later. I'm
using 2004 and am not affected by the 2005 issues.

>There is no Quicken pre-Q2005 problem with "checking account
>transactions not passing over".


John, you seem to be knowledgeable and the fact that you are not aware
of any such problem may pretty much answer my question.

>> =This pertains *only* to Q2005 and future versions (and
>> beginning with
>> Q2006, credit-card accounts will also not be able to import
>> QIF
>> files).=
>>
>> *That is helpful information indeed, Can you cite a source?
>> It does
>> not appear in Intuit's KB ID#: 1174b bulletin itself, which,
>> in fact,
>> is captioned "Quicken 2004 for Windows."*


>I'll leave it to you to do some more research. This is not a
>debatable proposition; it is a fact.


John, maybe most of the folks here already know you and know you to be
an authoritative source, perhaps even the Intuit representative on
this NG. However, I'm a newcomer and would ask your forbearance if I
lack appropriate deference. To evaluate the reliability of
information, I consider the source. What you are saying about
Intuit's KB ID#: 1174b bulletin is not borne out by anything in the
statement itself.

>So let's start from this assumption: Q2004 can import QIF file
>transactions from every type of account that you can create in
>Q2004. Then let's see if we can figure out why, in your
>particular case, some transactions were not imported. Start
>with my earlier question about whether you attempted to
>export/import all accounts to/from one QIF file. And if that is
>what you did, try exporting one QIF file from the (a) single
>account that you could not import, then importing that QIF file
>and see what happens.


John, as you have stated the directions recommend account specific
transfers. When I say I followed the directions, yes, I exported and
imported separate QIF files for each account.

Thank you again for the time and effort you have expended on this
question.

GA
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Pollard
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      04-19-2005, 03:36 PM
Giles Albertson wrote:
>
> Intuit recognizes 2005 version specific problems. It seems
> apparent
> that a distinction between versions is at the core of this
> analysis.
> Intuit has degraded the QIF functionality for 2005 and later.
> I'm
> using 2004 and am not affected by the 2005 issues.


I think I already made clear that there is a distinction between
Q2004 and Q2005. And that I know you are using Q2004. There
aren't any QIF "problems" with Q2005; Intuit has disabled the
ability to import QIF files into certain accounts in Q2005; but
those accounts whose QIF importing was not disabled, import just
like they did in previous versions. I don't think now, and I
never did think, that any difference between Q2004 and Q2005 has
anything to do with our discussion. I suggest you just forget
that Q2005 exists for purposes of working on your problem ... I
certainly have.

>> There is no Quicken pre-Q2005 problem with "checking account
>> transactions not passing over".

>
> John, you seem to be knowledgeable and the fact that you are
> not aware
> of any such problem may pretty much answer my question.


Just to clarify; I know of no account types that have QIF
importing problems. In my experience, QIF import problems have
to do with the data itself, not the type of account.

>>> =This pertains *only* to Q2005 and future versions (and
>>> beginning with
>>> Q2006, credit-card accounts will also not be able to import
>>> QIF
>>> files).=
>>>
>>> *That is helpful information indeed, Can you cite a source?
>>> It does
>>> not appear in Intuit's KB ID#: 1174b bulletin itself, which,
>>> in fact,
>>> is captioned "Quicken 2004 for Windows."*

>
>> I'll leave it to you to do some more research. This is not a
>> debatable proposition; it is a fact.

>
> John, maybe most of the folks here already know you and know
> you to be
> an authoritative source, perhaps even the Intuit
> representative on
> this NG. However, I'm a newcomer and would ask your
> forbearance if I
> lack appropriate deference. To evaluate the reliability of
> information, I consider the source. What you are saying about
> Intuit's KB ID#: 1174b bulletin is not borne out by anything
> in the
> statement itself.


So you have found that 100% of Intuit's (or any company's)
documentation is correct and unambiguous? I'm not worring about
any "deference", I just wonder what you think you have to lose
here?

Your research was very limited if all you found was that one kb
article; I think that leaves the burden on you to do a better
job of research. This information is nearly ubiquitous; see
Google for archives of this group, see Quicken Forums hosted by
Intuit, see Intuit's *sales* web site and look for QIF policy
(not KB articles). (Also take a look in your QIF Import dialog
box in the "Important Information" box). I have Q2004 (and
Q2005 and Q2002): Q2004 imports QIF files.

>> So let's start from this assumption: Q2004 can import QIF
>> file
>> transactions from every type of account that you can create
>> in
>> Q2004. Then let's see if we can figure out why, in your
>> particular case, some transactions were not imported. Start
>> with my earlier question about whether you attempted to
>> export/import all accounts to/from one QIF file. And if that
>> is
>> what you did, try exporting one QIF file from the (a) single
>> account that you could not import, then importing that QIF
>> file
>> and see what happens.

>
> John, as you have stated the directions recommend account
> specific
> transfers. When I say I followed the directions, yes, I
> exported and
> imported separate QIF files for each account.


Did you successfully export/import your Account List? So you
now have all accounts correctly defined in your new Quicken file
that were in your old Quicken file?

What, if any, messages do you get when you select the checking
account QIF file for import and click ok? Does it say anything
like "No valid records found to import"? I presume that you do
not find any transactions in the "Accept transactions into
register" window?

How many transactions are in the account that does not import
any transactions?

I think there can be several reasons why some transactions might
not get imported. One place to start is the account header in
the QIF file for the account you believe got no data imported.
See if the name in the QIF header is the name in the Quicken
account you import to. And actually, you can probably do
without account header info (or any header into) if you are
trying to import transactions for a single account, if the
account already exists in Quicken. (Header records have an
exclamation point in the first position).

If you get to that point - no header info - and nothing imports,
I would try making a copy of the QIF file with nothing in it but
a single transaction (a single transaction will consist of
several "records", probably starting with a date record - "D" in
postion one - and ending with a record having only a caret in
position one). Then make a copy of your Quicken fileset and try
importing that single transaction into the appropriate account.
If that fails, try creating a new Quicken account and importing
one transaction into that.

--
John Pollard
First initial underscore Last name at mchsi dot com
Please reply to newsgroup


 
Reply With Quote
 
Giles Albertson
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      04-19-2005, 06:39 PM
On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:36:11 GMT, "John Pollard" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

. . . Truncated . . .

>Did you successfully export/import your Account List? So you
>now have all accounts correctly defined in your new Quicken file
>that were in your old Quicken file?
>
>What, if any, messages do you get when you select the checking
>account QIF file for import and click ok? Does it say anything
>like "No valid records found to import"? I presume that you do
>not find any transactions in the "Accept transactions into
>register" window?
>
>How many transactions are in the account that does not import
>any transactions?
>
>I think there can be several reasons why some transactions might
>not get imported. One place to start is the account header in
>the QIF file for the account you believe got no data imported.
>See if the name in the QIF header is the name in the Quicken
>account you import to. And actually, you can probably do
>without account header info (or any header into) if you are
>trying to import transactions for a single account, if the
>account already exists in Quicken. (Header records have an
>exclamation point in the first position).
>
>If you get to that point - no header info - and nothing imports,
>I would try making a copy of the QIF file with nothing in it but
>a single transaction (a single transaction will consist of
>several "records", probably starting with a date record - "D" in
>postion one - and ending with a record having only a caret in
>position one). Then make a copy of your Quicken fileset and try
>importing that single transaction into the appropriate account.
>If that fails, try creating a new Quicken account and importing
>one transaction into that.


John, I love these last five paragraphs. Thank you. I'll report back
after I try some of this.

GA
 
Reply With Quote
 
Giles Albertson
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      04-24-2005, 12:57 AM
To John Pollard --

I followed your suggestions and successfully moved the transactions
from one file to the other.

It seems to me that the source of the problems I was having before
could be as follows.

In the source file and the target file, some of the account names were
slightly different (spacing, hyphens, etc.). Originally, I changed
the account names manually to conform to each other. I was careful
and I believe I made the names identical, but for whatever reason I
had problems with the QIF import nonetheless.

After your last post, following your advice, to conform the account
names I exported / imported the Account List rather than changed the
names manually.

After that maneuver, I moved the transactions account-by-account and
had no problems.

So we have success! Thank you.

And thank you for your patience and determination in the face of
considerable frustration and adversity.

GA


================================================== ====

John Pollard wrote:

What, if any, messages do you get when you select the checking
account QIF file for import and click ok? Does it say anything
like "No valid records found to import"? I presume that you do
not find any transactions in the "Accept transactions into
register" window?

How many transactions are in the account that does not import
any transactions?

I think there can be several reasons why some transactions might
not get imported. One place to start is the account header in
the QIF file for the account you believe got no data imported.
See if the name in the QIF header is the name in the Quicken
account you import to. And actually, you can probably do
without account header info (or any header into) if you are
trying to import transactions for a single account, if the
account already exists in Quicken. (Header records have an
exclamation point in the first position).

If you get to that point - no header info - and nothing imports,
I would try making a copy of the QIF file with nothing in it but
a single transaction (a single transaction will consist of
several "records", probably starting with a date record - "D" in
postion one - and ending with a record having only a caret in
position one). Then make a copy of your Quicken fileset and try
importing that single transaction into the appropriate account.
If that fails, try creating a new Quicken account and importing
one transaction into that.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Skye
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      03-15-2011, 03:19 AM
responding to
http://www.beansmart.com/quicken/Tra...her-24218-.htm
Skye wrote:


I just purchased Quicken 2011 and also found that QIF docs cannot be
transferred between Quicken Files.

However, here is a solution that is not that awkward. I will use an
example that hopefully is clear.

Issue - you have a quicken file containing one or more accounts and you
want to set up a second quicken file with the same accounts, but you want
to modify your accounts so you can give them to someone else. Let's say
you want to add some accounts to one file that you don't want in the other
file.

let us say File #1 has 2 accounts: 2010checking and 2010SocSecChecking
and its main data file is QDATA.QDF.

1) Set up a folder on your desktop so you can find it and name it Quicken
Transfers. Then Copy the QDATA.QDF file for File #1 (the file you are
transferring from) into the Quicken Transfer folder on your desktop.
Rename that file from let's say QDATA.QDF to 2010QDATAMary.QDF. REMEMBER
to backup your QDATA.QDF file just in case.

2) Double click on 2010QDATAMary.QDF and quicken will open showing the
same accounts as in file #1. Your categories and memorized items will be
present, which is very nice.

3) Next, Add one or more accounts to the new File with names that are
unique from those showing in the list. In the example we are following,
let's name those unique accounts 2010MaryChecking and 2010MarySSChecking

4) Click on the account 2010Checking and using the Shift Key, select all
of the transactions in the account and copy all transactions.

5) Click on the account 2010CheckingMary and right click in the uppermost
transaction line and select paste all transactions.

6) Repeat this proceedure for each account to populate the new accounts
with the corresponding transactions. E.g., copy all transactions from
2010SocSecMary to 2010SSMary.

7) Now delete all of the accounts that you do not want using this
proceedure for each account, one at a time:

a) Right click on an account and in the dropdown box at the bottom left
click on "Go to Account List".

b) when the account list opens, look for an account that you want to
delete and on that line you will see an EDIT box. Click on this and a new
window will open.

c) In this new window, in the lower left corner is a Delete Account
button. Click on this and a new window will open. Type YES to confirm
that you want to delete the account and then OK. The account is
permanently gone.

d) Repeat the 3 steps under item 7 until all of the account you do no
want in File #2 are deleted and only the newly populated accounts remain.

First time it seems slow, but once you get the hang of it, it is not so
bad.

8) finally, copy the 2010QDATAMary.QDF and paste it into the folder where
quicken stores its primary QDF files (this could be in My
Documents/Taxes/2011/quicken, or whereever you found the QDATA.QDF file
you started with). Recall that you used an UNIQUE name when you renamed
QDATA.QDF to 2010QDATAMary.QDF, so you will not overwrite any other QDATA
file. When you are certain that all is as you want it and quicken is
opening the right file, you can delete the file in the transfer folder. A
good way to check to see which file quicken is opening is to rename the
desktop file with an X in front of it. then you can see what file is
opening by looking at the top of the quicken window where the file name
appears.

just one last thing. Quicken will open the file last opened. So be
certain that when you start quicken the first time after going through the
above proceedure, that you open Quicken by double clicking on the
2010QDataMary.QDF file you copied into My Documents - otherwise the file
on the desktop may open instead. That will keep the x2010QDATAMary file
from opening.

Hope this helps. Quicken support was no help to me so I had to come up
with a method. Seems silly that Quicken doesn't not have a simple method
for such a useful action. Maybe they do, but tech support appears not to
be aware of it.

PS i hope I have put in all the steps for you. PLEASE backup your QDATA
file maybe twice and store it somewhere safe, just in case you get tangled
up. Turn off the TV, put the kids to bed and do this in the quiet of your
home office.

Best wishes,
Skye




Giles Albertson wrote:




> Here in this NG, on the Quicken website support center, and on the msn
> Quicken Users group, there are various discussions of how to transfer
> information, accounts, or entire data files from one Quicken file to
> another. So far as I can tell, these are all elaborations of the
> basic QIF export / import procedure.


> When I try this procedure, the data and transactions in certain
> accounts transfer just fine. However, try what I might, the
> transactions (checks written) in one of the checking accounts and the
> transactions in a money market fund (checks drawn on the fund) will
> not transfer. (Interestingly, the deposits in the checking account do
> transfer. Also interestingly, another checking account transfers
> completely without a hitch.)


> In all the poking around I have done, two notable things have struck
> me.


> First, I find no one else who mentions having such a problem.


> Second, Intuit customer support bulletin KB ID#: 1174b entitled
> "Moving information between Quicken data files" (available on
> their
> website) addresses the question "How do I transfer information,
> accounts, or entire data files from one Quicken file to another?"
> and
> gives extensive detailed instructions.


> Midway, it says: "Important: QIF import is available only for
> asset
> and liability accounts (including house and vehicle), credit card
> accounts, and cash accounts. . . . QIF import is not available for
> checking, savings, 401(k), or any other brokerage accounts."


> That seems to be saying pretty clearly that QIF will not import
> checking account transactions (nor money market account transactions,
> if such an account is a "brokerage" account). Several Intuit
> customer
> support bulletins lay out the same procedure, but only that one
> contains the caveat.


> If it is true that you can't transfer checking or "brokerage"
> accounts, it is puzzling to me that one of my checking accounts
> transferred successfully. Further, it is remarkable that none of the
> extensive posts here on this NG or in the msn group on the subject of
> merging files / exporting-importing data / marrying, etc. even mention
> such an enormous catgegory of data that can't be moved via QIF.


> Does anyone here have any suggestions, enlightenment, explanations,
> education, or thoughts that might help. I just need to get the data
> and transactions in two separate Quicken files (both v. 2004)
> transferred into one file.


> Thanks for any assistance.




-------------------------------------




 
Reply With Quote
 
Han
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanked:
 
      03-15-2011, 02:38 PM
<snip>

Hint:
Start quicken NOT by starting Quicken, but by double-clicking on the qdf
file you want to open.
Even better, make shortcuts to the qdf files you will be working with.
Place the shortcuts (in a folder) on the desktop.
Edit the icons to be different.
This makes it much easier and quicker (pun) to start the file you want to
use.
--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lifetime Planner, transferring from one CD to another results intax on withdrawls Redtarga Microsoft Money 0 05-27-2008 02:21 PM
transferring money from one computer to another Govind Microsoft Money 2 08-18-2004 02:26 PM
Help! - Money 2004, Transferring files form one pc to another. Rich Microsoft Money 2 05-17-2004 03:04 AM
Transferring a payment from one customer to another...how? Z Man Quickbooks 1 01-30-2004 12:32 AM
How to record transferring shares from one security to another Eric S. Quicken 5 01-13-2004 12:44 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:37 PM.
Posts in this forum do not constitute the advice of AccountantForums.com or its members. Financial advice should always be taken from qualified advisors before committing to a financial decision.