1042-S Question

Reaction score
I work for a non-profit membership organization in the U.S.. We issue award and payments to international individuals/students each year related to our annual meeting/convention. I was hoping that someone could provide me some guidance on how your organization/company currently tracks these payments and ensures they have all of the proper documentation completed (i.e. W-8BEN, proper US TIN) prior to issuance of payments to international individuals?
Also, I am really struggling with the awards issued to international students, as these individuals typically do not have US TIN, and have never had to deal with this process before. I understand that I can simply withhold 30% of the payment and have them complete the W-8BEN without a tax ID number, but was hoping someone had another suggestion.

I am in desperate need of a better way to track/organize these payments. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Ask a Question