USA 1099 and Anesthesiologist

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been doing the 1099 evolution for my business the past three years. One thing that I've run into is when one of our staff have to go in for some sort of operation. The Doctor, the facility, etc. are all paid separately, including the Anesthesiologist - but it usually turns out that the anesthesiologist has to be paid in cash and most of the time which anesthesiologist is not known till the day of the operation. You then get a small little store bought receipt that you paid cash, but not who too, not tax ID or SS# and sometimes the facility is not listed on the invoice. Then I spend many hours on the phone chasing down who it was, and how to get his SS# or tax ID as I usually end up with some answering service. Just wondering if anyone else has run into this and what they are do to ensure they get a tax ID or SS #.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Honestly - you shouldn't have to "chase down that information, EVER. With that being said - when paying cash, I'd make sure to have all their information documented on the receipt given to you. If the Anesthesiologist is unknown at the time of payment, I would not be paying anything until that information is known and can be well documented on every receipt. It does not make any sense why an Anesthesiologist can only be paid in cash, unless they're looking to not claim all revenues into the IRS and state. Again - if payment must be made in cash - I would be demanding to know which Anesthesiologist is performing the service with their tax ID or SSN's well documented on each and every receipt in order to you to be able to supply them with an accurate 1099-Misc form.

Ask a Question