USA 1099-MISC and Form 2555

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have lived and worked in Germany for the entire year 2018. I am employed by a German company and have received foreign earned income from that employment. In addition, during 2018, I have provided freelance services to a US-based entity on a contractual basis, for which I received a 1099-MISC in excess of $1000 (I have not yet paid any taxes on this $1000, 1099-MISC income). I am working on completing my US tax return with the assistance of H&R Block software. The program asks for foreign earned income to be added, but I do not know if the 1099-MISC is considered foreign earned income. Is the 1099-MISC income foreign earned, since I earned it while living and working from the foreign country (Germany)?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello DEEXPAT, if you are a US citizen and you earn an income, even though you are out of the country for that period, this income cannot be a foreign earned income i.e. you cannot be a foreigner in your country of citizenship.
Your foreign earned income is only from your employment in Germany and in any other countries except USA (country of citizenship).

Ask a Question