1099-Misc Royalties question (rights and licenses)



Our company sometimes pays individuals for the rights to use
footage, photographs, etc. in the films we produce. In
which box on the 1099-Misc form do I report payments for
footage licenses, still rights, etc.? Right now I have
these in Box 2, royalties. Is this correct?

Also, our company sometimes pays a composer for an original
music score for a film. Should this be reported in Box 7
(nonemployee compensation) because the composer performed a
service (composing) or Box 2 (royalties) because we are
purchasing all-inclusive rights to the score?

Thanks for your help.

Linda W.


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads

1099 misc question 4
1099-MISC question 7
USA Mineral and royalty ownership tax question 0
1099-Misc question 1
1099 Misc Question 1
1099-misc question 4
1099-MISC 20
1099-MISC 16