a new LLC

Reaction score
jointly owned LLC - hiring another LLC and taxes

So I started an LLC with some people I know. (oh boy, friends)

Their argument is they want to "hire themselves" (one of their other LLCS) to lower the taxes of our jointly held business.

But the original LLC is taxed as a partnership, and by hiring ourselves we are not going to be saving any taxes OVERALL....just shifting money to our personal tax returns...right?

UNLESS, their LLC is an S corp and then they can take distributions out without social security taxes. But then this seems like we would be getting into the neighborhood of a controlled group by IRS standards.

(the S corp) would then able to pay a salary and then pay distributions without the social security tax. But once again a controlled group....

Is that the only argument they have (paying a S corp)? Or are they confused.

thanks,

Matt

Last edited:
Reaction score
Partners in LLC's cannot be employees, so yeah, it seems that they are confused. Also, I've never heard of establishing an entity as an "employee", so I don't quite understand what they want to do. Even if they could do this, there are no savings from paying themselves wages.

Reaction score
:confused:

Is this for certain types of LLCs (single member, c-corp, etc.), or just in general?
Do correct me if I'm wrong.

You wouldn't be a partner in a corp or a single member LLC. I don't believe you can issue yourself wages in a single member either, but also correct me if I'm wrong.

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Do correct me if I'm wrong.

You wouldn't be a partner in a corp or a single member LLC. I don't believe you can issue yourself wages in a single member either, but also correct me if I'm wrong.
The reason I brought it up was because I thought we had partners employed in on of our LLCs, but it's actually a general partnership.

I've never heard of any restrictions. In fact, there's a benefit since you can end up paying self-employment taxes and both the company and personal contribution yourself.

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Reaction score
The tax code doesn't have a specific set of rules for an LLC, and considers an LLC filing as a partnership a partnership. Therefore, I would say LLC members are treated the same as general or limited partners in this regard.

Also, § 3401(c) defines an employee:

For purposes of this chapter, the term “employee” includes an officer, employee, or elected official of the United States, a State, or any political subdivision thereof, or the District of Columbia, or any agency or instrumentality of any one or more of the foregoing. The term “employee” also includes an officer of a corporation.

Note it's clear about officers, not partners or members.

Samir

VIP Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Gotcha. That's the way I was interpreting it as well even though it doesn't mention LLCs specifically.

Ask a Question