Account invoice?

Reaction score
Chaps (and ladies),

A bit of an odd query, and you may not be able to help - but here goes.

My accountant, over the course of the past three/four years or so, has generally speaking charged me £400-£500 per year for taking care of the accounts and completing tax returns etc (I'm self employed).

This week she sent me a copy of the return he was about to file (year to March 31st 2010, plus year to October 31st 2010) plus the tax return which is late (I've already paid the £100 late charge). Her invoice states almost £900 for that.

Plus £500 for 'corresponding with HMIT for main residence election and dealing with references since Feb '10'? I have had, perhaps, two chats on the phone, each lasting no more that three minutes regarding that.

Total bill (with VAT) almost £1700. More than four times the usual annual bill.

Obviously, I dont wish to become embroiled in a slanging match re accountants' fees as that isnt the point. I've generally thought her fees reasonable for the past several years.

It's a little delicate so I thought I'd ask for thoughts from folk who would know better than me before questioning the invoice. We are fairly friendly (know each other out of work etc) so I've been left a little shocked by the figure.

Advice appreciated.
Gus

Ask a Question